Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scarpetta
To each his/her own though.
Finally, an intelligent sentence in this thread.

Why does anyone really care what others are doing? If you are happy, and what you ride makes you happy, good for you.
If what I am doing, and what I ride doesn't suit others.....tough sh/t.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:36 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kahaone
Finally, an intelligent sentence in this thread.

Why does anyone really care what others are doing? If you are happy, and what you ride makes you happy, good for you.
If what I am doing, and what I ride doesn't suit others.....tough sh/t.
I made mine, more useful and more comfortable for long trips. Currently at 11,428 miles.

PCIII
Progressive 440 standard 13.5" shocks
Progressive fork springs, using 7w BelRay fork oil
Sundowner seat.
Ameritex bags
Kuryakan grips
LAZY Rider bag/backrest
50 State Screamin Eagle mufflers next.

Attached Thumbnails what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike-bagger-002-small-.jpg  

Last edited by 1200Cdriver; 04-15-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 PM
michael95688
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What? Who cares... I think it's alive and well.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:05 AM
haknslash
Cruiser

I look at a bike like a canvas. It doesn't matter if it's a "48" or not. I'd still add my own flavor to it which would make it my own to match my style and personality. I look at bikes like that from Harley as just giving the customer a head start into making it their own. To me the word "custom" gets throw around too much. Custom to me means one-off or handmade.

As far as customizing goes. It's alive and well. Doesn't matter if it's just forward controls and a windshield or full on raked out frontends and fat reartire. People are still making their bike their own. It's none of my concern if someone chooses to even leave a bike stock. As long as theyer happy is all that matters.

My .02

Last edited by haknslash; 04-18-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 AM
brandonsuperglide
Cruiser

I think its screwed up when someone buys a night train, nightster or whatever blacked out bike and starts throwing chrome at it. But its not my bike or my money so my opinion really doesn't matter.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

These are a few pictures of my 2000. I considered it to be a $6000 starter kit when it purchased it new in 2000. I have spent $1000's on it and spent hundreds of hours working on it. It has at least 50 hand built parts on top of all the parts I've purchased for it.
I don't think you can call a bike yours until you've personalized it.

Attached Thumbnails what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike-dsc02825.jpg   what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike-dsc02827.jpg   what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike-dsc02828.jpg   what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike-dsc01323.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
scarpetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by jag1886
These are a few pictures of my 2000. I considered it to be a $6000 starter kit when it purchased it new in 2000. I have spent $1000's on it and spent hundreds of hours working on it. It has at least 50 hand built parts on top of all the parts I've purchased for it.

I think to each his/her own. Take your bike for a perfect example, its so not my style personally but I looked closely at your photos and I have a great deal of respect for your craftsmanship. I consider your bike a piece of art. It is commonly taken that - that which is not aesthetically satisfying in some fashion cannot be art. However, "good" art is not always or even regularly aesthetically appealing to a majority of viewers.

All im really trying to say here is, If you like it thats all that matters.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Jag... is your tank completely covered with leather?... that's brilliant!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well mine is custom. I built it. Short of the paint work and the final body work, I did everything to mine. I kinda fall in to the turn one bike into another catagory, but it just happened that way, wasnt the *goal* Started with a road king, and obtained a batwing for the idea of making it detachable. Ended up mounting it and pretty much making a street glide from my bike. I have lengthened the front fender, lowered it, filled all the holes, smoothed the rear fender, recessed the plate, and moved to LED lights that are in the bags. The paint is all factory colors, and even kinda stole the paint design a bit. Looking at it, I think it easily could have been a Screamin Eagle model from HD. I have updated all the old parts with better things like late model brakes, wheels, suspension.

It would have been less to start with a SG or an ultra and take parts off, but it is a great feeling that I built it, and if something breaks, I can fix it. Looking at the bikes on the forum, I dont think doing your own custom bike is dead, its just easier now for people to bolt on parts that they like instead of fabing them due to the large amount of aftermarket items available.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM
NI-STER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jag1886
NOW THAT'S A CUSTOM!! Nice work Jag!
I have to agree that the word "custom" gets thrown around alot. However, there are guys out there doing some cool stuff. Not all my taste, but you gotta give em' credit when credit is due. Jag's is a perfect example. Not for everyone but the craftsmanship shows and I totally appreciate the time and effort that goes into that kind of work. Again ...Good on ya' Jag!

Quick Reply: what happened to (CUSTOMIZING) your bike