Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 1200XLC Speedo trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Just Plain Cody
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 1200XLC Speedo trouble

Hey all!

This is not my first time using this forum but it is my first post. I am sure I am not the 1st person with this problem and Know that ya'll can help me.

I have a 1200XLC 2007 (sporty), This last week my ol lady and I moved from Phoenix, AZ to Charlotte, NC. My sporty was transported in the uhaul (safely) with an empty tank of gas and with the battery removed completely.

Upon arriving to NC, my first order of business was getting my ride back. When the battery was put back in (per HD manual instructions) and gas put back in tank, my problem is as follows:

Speedo reads "No Cal" in digital display. I am NOT able to get into diag mode (by using reset button on back of speedo and turning ignition on) also MPH needle is stuck on 0MPH when I tried riding a few miles after reconnecting battery. The reset button on back of speedo will not cycle through total miles/clock/"A" miles/ "B' miles like it used to before in AZ.

The only thing I did was take the battery out for trip and put it back in when we got to NC.

If anyone can help or point me to a previous post I'd be stoked!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Just Plain Cody
Intermediate

Upon further inspection of the speedo, it looks like there is a bit of corrosion/ water damage around the digital display and inside the speedo itself, I mean there was water behind the glass cover to the speedometer (interesting as I thought the speedometers were waterproof or at least the cover was). Has this happened to any one else?! I know I have read in this forum that folks get a little "dew/water" behind the glass but for most it seems just putting it in the sun (or riding) gets rid of it. Could this water fry the electrical compenents of the speedo?

...so I'm guessing that I either need to buy a new speedo and/or take my harley into a dealership and get it checked out.

I'll get it figured out and post my findings so others may benefit from my little adventure.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Just Plain Cody
Intermediate

New speedo is in the works, should be here in +/- 2weeks. Kind of a while to wait.. I guess I could ride w/o the darn thing until it comes, I just have not gotten the chance to take it out since the move. All in due time I suppose.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 AM
cdelima
Intermediate

Do you ever get the feeling that you are just talking to yourself?

Just kidding... hope the ne speedo works out!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

HD's instruments, speedo and tach, are not moisture tight and condensation inside the glass is common. Usually a few hours in the sun typically clears up the condensation.

This is whoever, the first time I've heard of the moisture causing the speedo to fail due to corrosion.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Just Plain Cody
Intermediate

New speedo on from HD. After putting the new one on and hookin it up, I took the old one apart and found that the electrical components were corroded (I'm guessing from water but what do I know?!). Cool thing is that now I have a fully fuctioning speedometer... and yes I AM (for posting basically to myself, as no one else has to lend).

maybe next time