Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question, what does stage 1 ecm calibration mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Krakanator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4t8
MechsHands, yes I read that response, but Krakanator thinks that a stage 1 is mechanical mods (air cleaner, exhaust), but others think that stage 1 is an actual change to the ECM settings on the bike. I tend to agree with the others.

MEGALifted, thanks for the comment. So it sounds like your setup is V&H exhaust, SE heavy breather, and stage 1 ECM download, is that correct? Did your dealer perform this work, and is this setup what they recommended for you? My dealer seems to think I need a SE tuner, not just a stage 1 download. Beautiful Iron btw.

harleydude49, thanks for the comments.

Aires59, thanks for the comments.
It is all of those things. There are the mechanical mods that make up the Stage 1 upgrade (pipes, cleaner). Thing is once this is done to your bike you will have an issue where youre bike that is already lean from the factory is running even more lean. This is when you make changes to the ecm settings with either a download or a piggyback tuner. To use a tuner or a download without pipes and and a/c would be pointless. And if you were to put on a freeflowing ac and pipes your ride would fart aroung like you had White Castle for lunch.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser

ihave the v&h ss and the heavy breather se , and the stage 1 download and so far so good , havent check the spark plugs but iam taking it to do the first maintnance in a couple of days , but so far so good havent had any issues whit backfireing

Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4t8
MEGALifted, thanks for the comment. So it sounds like your setup is V&H exhaust, SE heavy breather, and stage 1 ECM download, is that correct? Did your dealer perform this work, and is this setup what they recommended for you? My dealer seems to think I need a SE tuner, not just a stage 1 download. Beautiful Iron btw.
Yes, you are correct. I bought the bike from another forum member as it sits but I know my dealer wants me to loose the download and go with the SERT. I don't know why because it runs great. It will puff black smoke when reving at idle so I know it's not too lean. It doesn't backfire or stumble when riding. My friend has a Nightster with the SERT and his pops and backfires on decel like crazy, it does run like a scalded dog but it's mostly the 1200 over the 883.

And thanks for the compliment.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 PM
Topgunfatboy2008
Novice
Default Stock or stage 1 1584 street legal

Originally Posted by harleydude49
on the website you are referring to-v$h, when they ask that question they are talking about your ecu. stock or stage 1-so they can provide the correct map.
i believe that a fuel pak will work better along with a stage 1 download due to the fact fuel pak does not sffect timing or rev limit- where the stage 1 does-so with that combo fuel pak + stage 1 you are getting the best of both worlds. there are however tuners that do both timing and afr- in that case stock ecu would be better.
as far as the cost of the dealer download to ecu, its about 235.00. good luck and welcome to this world. ps get ready to have people tell you fuel pak is junk, to get pcv-then someone will say pcv's are no good get sert. etc etc etc. fuel pak will work fine with your setup....imho
I know this is an extremely old thread but I need some answers have a 2008 Fatboy Vance & Hines Big Shot stagger with Big City Thunder baffles vO2 Vance & Hines high air flow breather and a fuelpak 2 trying to figure out when trying to get a new map if I should be choosing stock or stage 1 1584 street legal and makes a difference I'm not sure if I have a stage 1 download on my ECM if anybody can answer this I would appreciate it trying to be as clear as I can with what I'm asking.. it makes a difference with the two different Maps they give me.. trying to get this thing that run better with more throttle response and a little less popping and mid-range