Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, my oil lamp is on!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
sibba
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, my oil lamp is on!

Just installed screaming eagle supertuner and v&h exhaust. After the ride home from my dealer the oil lamp went on. The engine heat and temperature seemed fine, but i checked the oil and it was skimmy. Almost like it had started boiling.
Has the H-D tech tuned my bike incorrect or is there some electrical problem because my engine temperature seemed fine?

Btw, it was 70 degrees outside today and i was not driving in traffic or letting the bike run on idle.

Thank you

Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM
badger1984
Tourer

Originally Posted by sibba
Just installed screaming eagle supertuner and v&h exhaust. After the ride home from my dealer the oil lamp went on. The engine heat and temperature seemed fine, but i checked the oil and it was skimmy. Almost like it had started boiling.
Has the H-D tech tuned my bike incorrect or is there some electrical problem because my engine temperature seemed fine?

Btw, it was 70 degrees outside today and i was not driving in traffic or letting the bike run on idle.

Thank you
What are you riding...year - model???

Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Thank you
You need to check your oil pressure with a gauge. If the pressure is okay, then you can look for the electrical problem (bad sender or shorted wire).

Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 AM
sibba
5th Gear

It's a 2010 sportster forty-eight with 900 km on it. I noticed that the engine was ticking louder than usual before the oil lamp went on, but it might just be my imagination.

The empty gas tank light also went on suddently right after i had filled her up. I have installed dragbars and a joker machine airfilter on the bike. Now my dealer is saying this might void the warranty.

But is the oil supposed to be all foamy and skimmy? Is this normal?

Thank you very much

Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the oil pressure with a gauge before running the motor anymore.

The oil pressure sending unit is at the front of the motor, and is set at something like 5 psi, that makes sure the light does not come on at hot idle, so its almost useless.

The sending units can go bad, and/or leak.

I would unscrew the sending unit and screw in a fitting that allows a gauge hookup, I use an old air conditioning pressure gauge set to measure oil pressures.

Some oil foams up more then others, but the pressure needs to be checked.

Brett

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moco did have problems with the oil pump. look for soup on here and ask him about all of it. he had a major problem with it. is the oil milky? I dont know how it would get water in it. smell it, does it smell like gas?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

It's a 2010 sportster forty-eight with 900 km on it. I noticed that the engine was ticking louder than usual before the oil lamp went on, but it might just be my imagination.

The empty gas tank light also went on suddently right after i had filled her up. I have installed dragbars and a joker machine airfilter on the bike. Now my dealer is saying this might void the warranty.

But is the oil supposed to be all foamy and skimmy? Is this normal?

Thank you very much
The oil in the tank normally has lots of bubbles, so I guess foamy is the right word. What does "skimmy" mean?

Check pressure with a gauge. Ignore everything else until you know the oil pressure is okay.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would take it back to dealer, it's under warranty. Air filter and exhaust change will not affect oil pressure. Nor will installing those parts void warranty. (Except for the exhaust and air cleaner)

Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By empty gas tank light I am assuming you mean the low fuel light? If so that is highly innaccurate and cannot be relied upon. It is common for them to develope a mind of their own, including coming on when full etc.

The only sure fire way of accuracy is learning what fuel mileage you get and using your trip odometer. Then you will know your range. Just be sure to reset it when filling up. Each rider and bike will get different mileage.

MH

Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 AM
sibba
5th Gear

Excuse my bad english! By skimmy i meant the way skimmed milk is when you shake it. Probably not the best way of describing it. Anyways, thank you for your inputs. I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them check the oil pressure. Hope there is no big problems, just a electrical fix or something

Sindre

Quick Reply: Help, my oil lamp is on!