Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo seat recommendations - also, securing cargo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solo seat recommendations - also, securing cargo...

Even though I recently replaced my stock seat with a very comfy two up Sundowner, I really prefer the look of a solo seat. Since my wife doesn't appear interested in riding with me it's not an issue to go with a solo. My needs would be something at least as comfy as the Sundowner but also something that doesn't shove me into the tank.

Second part of the equation: I currently have a quick detach sissy bar/luggage rack on the bike. I'll be installing my new saddlebags when I get back from vacation and they won't work with the detachable side plates. So, it's either get some rigid plates or ditch the sissy bar/rack altogether. I'm leaning toward ditching it altogether since a sissy bar and rack would look pretty strange on a bike with a solo seat.

That was pretty much the long way around of asking how you secure cargo on the rear fender with no rack and a solo seat? I plan on some road trips that will require more storage than what my saddlebags will afford.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

well, you can try a back pack in addition to your saddlebags. what i did was made a sissybar with a rack welded to it. i have a solo seat as well. i can place a bag to the front of the sissy bar and use as a back rest and i take my old military pack and slide it over the sissybar (so it faces the rear). it slides down onto the rack i made so it doesnt ride on the fender. you can also get a rack that bolts to the fender to protect it. i would take pics for you, but i am currently on my annual training (reserves). if i were you and if your sissybar would work, you can get the fender rack and kinda do the same as i do. they sell the racks thru dennis kirk, j&p, etc. good luck

Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i reread your post. i think if your question is how to carry more gear than the saddlebags can hold and not have the sissybar at all....a back pack...depending on what you carry, with a fender rack, you can kinda secure a bag across the fender rack and tie it to the saddlebags (thats what my bro in law does on his nightster) and get a small cargo net (h-d sells them, not very expensive and different sizes). with the small cargo net, you can secure a jacket, rain gear, stuff like that between the bag and cargo net. hope this helps. ive learned to be a little creative when traveling with gear on my sporty. pack light. some of the backpacking/outdoor shops have many small items specifically for backpackers that work for bikes. most people learn they actually over pack for trips. if you want a great comfy solo seat, check out the mustang seats. your **** will love ya for it. take care and good luck