Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing this oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:51 PM
misterMagoo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing this oil leak?

Hey folks, I just recently replaced the gaskets in my rocker boxes on my 89 Sportster 883. It wasn't too bad of a job. However, now that it is done, I still have leaks. The front box is sealed tight, but it looks as though there is a leak where the front motor mount is screwed into the head (or cylinder). Is there something I can do to fix this? I haven't checked the torque on it yet. Anyone have that number handy?

Also, the rear boxes are leaking slightly but I am assuming that is because I couldn't get the torque wrench on the three smaller bolts that hold the bottom rocker cover piece to the head, and also possibly because I couldn't get the allen bolt on the top cover closest to the frame tight, due to clearance issues. I am going to look at it again this week and see what I can do. Hopefully I can get it to stop.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

First, the torque specs and ensuring you tighten in a correct star pattern is critical. You'll need a ft/lbs and in/lbs torque wrench. You'll need to check your service manual, but I think the rocker bolts are 22 ft/lbs and the other 3 bolts plus the 2 outer bolts are 135-160 in/lbs, I think.

After I did mine, I was still having some problems with the rear. I used a copper gasket sealer like this but in a brush on version and used an artist brush to apply. The 'brush' included is really like a cotton ball and not very precise. That cured my rear leaking, and I wish I would have done it on the front.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM
misterMagoo
6th Gear

Thanks Joe. For starters, I did follow a star pattern while torquing the 4 large rocker bolts down. They were all torqued correctly to the spec you mentioned. The 3 smaller bolts (7/16" I believe) were not all able to be torqued with the clearance I had from the frame. I was able to get the middle bolt torqued but the other 2 were tough. Also, a star pattern with three bolts is pretty much just a circle.

I used the James gaskets which call for no gasket sealer. They are rubberized metal, I believe.

And what about the front motor mounts? I noticed that on my bike, there are 2 different bolts there. One is a stud (it seems) with a lock washer and nut, the other looks like a screw. The nut is on the left, and the screw is on the right. At any rate, the leak is very minimal now, but I want to get this bike sealed up 100%.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

there is step by step thread on this site in the how to section with pictures. I was able to get a wrench down there and tighten mine. there is a company that makes ratcheting wrenches specifically for this application. Why would you go through all that work and then tighten the bolts half assed?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 PM
misterMagoo
6th Gear

Good question. I guess because I thought that after torquing the four large bolts that the small ones wouldn't have that much of an effect. Earlier tonight I opened it up again and torqued them down much better. I think that was the problem on the rear cover.

However, it still looks like I am leaking from the front motor mount bolts. Is there even oil that goes in those cavities? I could swear I saw it bubbling from the one on the left the day after I did the job. For the record, it doesn't look like the oil is coming from the gasket area at all on the front.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by misterMagoo
However, it still looks like I am leaking from the front motor mount bolts. Is there even oil that goes in those cavities? I could swear I saw it bubbling from the one on the left the day after I did the job. For the record, it doesn't look like the oil is coming from the gasket area at all on the front.
How about a few pics? Something doesn't sound right. And yes, I was told that the HD gaskets were to be mounted dry too. I ended up pulling the rear off again and using sealer to get it right. Dry as a bone now....

Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 PM
misterMagoo
6th Gear

Ok here are the pics. The two mounts are different. It is where the oil seems to be coming from. Looking above it you can't see or feel any oil, but I may be wrong and it may be a very slow leak on the front. Maybe the gaskets just need to be burned in? If so then I should know by the weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Fixing this oil leak?-left-side-mount.jpg   Fixing this oil leak?-right-side-mount.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

I thought that was what you may be talking about, but there shouldn't be any oil leaking from those holes as they are not exposed to oil. The leak would have to be from above them at the lower rocker junction. Or.... there is a bigger problem.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misterMagoo
Ok here are the pics. The two mounts are different. It is where the oil seems to be coming from. Looking above it you can't see or feel any oil, but I may be wrong and it may be a very slow leak on the front. Maybe the gaskets just need to be burned in? If so then I should know by the weekend.
Road gunk? Wipe it off and see what comes back. Doesn't look that wet to me.