Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swing arm bag nightster

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM
low_wgn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
No, the downside is that it is unsprung weight, and will kill performance and handling.
if thats the case then the rider is the same.....kills performance and handling as well yet you see so many riders....get the bag if thats all your using it for....thats my 2 cents

Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL...trust me, get the bag. They look great on a sporty and are handy as hell. Big laugh at the loss of performance with the sporty......come on dude, thats nuts. Funny that you would even talk like that as a sporty owner. Performance? LOL.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by low_wgn
if thats the case then the rider is the same.....kills performance and handling as well yet you see so many riders....get the bag if thats all your using it for....thats my 2 cents
Nope, the rider is sprung weight, vastly different. Your 2 cents is overpriced.

Originally Posted by thegrants82
LOL...trust me, get the bag. They look great on a sporty and are handy as hell. Big laugh at the loss of performance with the sporty......come on dude, thats nuts. Funny that you would even talk like that as a sporty owner. Performance? LOL.
Everything has performance. Performance is the way in which something performs its task(s). If you don't want your bike to do its job the way it's supposed to, that's your problem; but not everyone feels that way. Since neither one of you (obviously) knows anything about physics or motorcycles, you should consider listening and learning sometime...

Old 10-05-2010, 07:07 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned

LOL what a Harry Potter RUB.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
No, the downside is that it is off-center, unbalanced, unsprung weight, and will kill performance and handling.

Actually if we're being technical every solo bag Ive seen for the Sportster mounts to the subframe above the suspension therefore can be considered sprung weight. The effects on performance and handling would be so minimal that the average rider would never even notice it's there.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM
RAL
Cruiser
Default Thanks

Didin't think this would break down into a pissing match. Part I guess is sematics, solo bag is what I am looking for. Yes saddle bags will carry more in a "balanced manner" IF you are **** about weight distribution. Thing is...its a nightster not a big road cruiser. If I wanted a bagger I would have got a bagger. Really do not understand the attitudes some have...just asking questions of those that have a bit more experiance with these bikes......if I thought I knew it all I would not ask.
As to the negative effect the bag may have on handling..I do not understand how adding 2 lbs of sprung weight on the left will be more adverse than putting the air cleaner, exhaust pipes and oil res all on the right. Not being smart.... just don't get it. Can't be worse than dragging the pegs on semi hard corners, so far that is the ONLY bitch I have about the bike. I will learn to live with that, she is what she is.
Thanks one and all for sharing your knowlege.

RAL

Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
I just bought a LaRosa tool bag and solo bag for my 48 last week and like them so far. Appear to be great material and well made. The tool bag was $60 and the solo bag was $130 on ebay. You can get them in different materials(reg leather, distressed, alligator, ostrich, etc) for $5 more I believe.
Hi! Do you have any pics of them on your 48?

EDIT - DOH! Nevermind! Looks great!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Hi! Do you have any pics of them on your 48?

EDIT - DOH! Nevermind! Looks great!
Here's a little better pic. They also currently offer a right side bag but Im concerned about it being too close to my exhaust.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Looks great on your bike!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
funeralweb
Stage II

Originally Posted by RAL
Didin't think this would break down into a pissing match.
RAL
Been riding H-D of all sizes for over 20 years and never have understood the bad rap some folks give Sportys. I'll ride my XL1200N as far as my FLHRC, be it Indy to Chillicothe, Fort Campbell, you name it, although at age 47 one definitely feels different than the other especially the day after the trip ends. Will definitely check out the swingarm bags I logged on here to learn about.

Attached Thumbnails Swing arm bag nightster-2007-nightster-in-2010-006.jpg   Swing arm bag nightster-2007-nightster-in-2010-004.jpg   Swing arm bag nightster-miscellaneous-kids-2011-001.jpg   Swing arm bag nightster-miscellaneous-kids-2011-002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Swing arm bag nightster