Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fenderless lighting options

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
yellowsporty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each their own, but I like the fender look. NO long pony tails!!!OUCH

Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Okay, you may not be pulled over, but what about letting other driver's know that you're turning? And do you really think that they're gonna see your hand at night? Heck, many car drivers out there don't even know what hand signals are and wouldn't recognize what you were doing other than maybe waving at them to go by.

I would be much more worried about the teenage girl hitting me from behind than getting a fix-it ticket.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 PM
yellowsporty
Intermediate

Kansas law-check your state legislatures website for applicable statutes

8-1804. Stop lamps and turn signals. (a) Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one (1) stop lamp meeting the requirements of subsection (a) of K.S.A. 8-1721.
(b) Every motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1973, shall be equipped with electric turn signals meeting the requirements of subsection (b) of K.S.A. 8-1721. Motor-driven cycles may, but need not, be equipped with electric turn signals

8-1721. Stop lamps and signal lamps; color; visibility. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this act shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than three hundred (300) feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of the service or foot brake, and which may, but need not, be incorporated with one (1) or more other rear lamps.

(b) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this act shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle, or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit amber light: Provided, That on any vehicle manufactured prior to July 1, 1973, the lamps showing to the front may emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber. The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber. Turn signal lamps shall be visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle. (c) Every new motor vehicle sold within this state shall be equipped with turn signals meeting the requirements of subsection (b).

Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yellow, that is pretty interesting stuff. However, how "high" should the signals be? It seems to suggest there is a level requirement, but I'm missing the restrictions. Reason of interest to me is that I have my front signals mounted under my boards on the softail. Perfectly viewable, but I'm curious.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
Yellow, that is pretty interesting stuff. However, how "high" should the signals be? It seems to suggest there is a level requirement, but I'm missing the restrictions. Reason of interest to me is that I have my front signals mounted under my boards on the softail. Perfectly viewable, but I'm curious.
I think what the law is stating is that the signals need to be on an equal plane, not one higher or lower than the other. I don't think it's specifying a height requirement.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
I think what the law is stating is that the signals need to be on an equal plane, not one higher or lower than the other. I don't think it's specifying a height requirement.
Ah...makes sense. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 AM
yellowsporty
Intermediate

This is what I found DocJ-Not finding any requirements on the turnsignals, other then you can have them or don't have to-again this is Kansas law

8-1801. Head lamps. (a) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least (1) head lamp which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this article.
(b) Every head lamp upon every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall be located at a height of not more than fifty-four (54) inches nor less than twenty-four (24) inches to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of K.S.A. 8-1704.

8-1802. Tail lamps. (a) Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall have at least one (1) tail lamp which shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two (72) nor less than fifteen (15) inches.
(b) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty (50) feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted

Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 AM
yellowsporty
Intermediate

Veritas is correct-it just has to be at the same height within the requirements I previousle posted 24" to 54" for headlight and 15" to 72" for the taillamp; 72" is tall for a sporty!!LOL

Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
DocJ
Road Master

Thanks again! I ride through KS all the time. I take that is where you are from?

Lol! 72" is tall for any vehicle! Lol. I can't imagine on a bike. That would be pretty weird. Hmmm...mod possibilities...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 AM
yellowsporty
Intermediate

check out the location of the taillight and turn signal on this bikes swing arm, if you cant see it you can look closer at http://www.kens-factory.com/choppers.html, bike is called velvet fang

Attached Thumbnails Fenderless lighting options-01.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fenderless lighting options