Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold weather riding gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
It was 24* tonight, and I did not freeze or chatter my teeth one time in mah truck!
We got two inches of snow last night, it was 28*, and I was perfectly comfortable on my 35 mile commute to work. It's all about attitude and preparation (physical and mental). Wear the right gear, gird yourself up for battle with the elements, be careful, and you can do it, too.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

If it pulls 45-50F on a nice winter day i'll ride with jeans *no thermals* leather jacket and maybe a fleece with leather gloves. My work drive is only 8 miles one way to work so it's not worth firing up the Sporty when the temps below 40F or healthy for it. I ride by the general rule if i can't take it out for 20 miles or more i don't bother starting it. Winter road chemicals are not good for the bike either. Getting cold now as even the most hardcore have put em away waiting on a warm winter day here.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that my North Face gear doubles as excellent Motorcycle gear. The kevlar kick-patches on my goretex pants prevent any melting, and your **** needs to be 100% windproof.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
grumpy_1944
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default My Rx

Skin, underarmour pants and shirt, fleece, and as it gets colder, more fleece, denim pants and leather jacket to finish things off . A neck gaiter tops it off. Calif. doesn't get as cold as some other states.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 AM
sportsterpaul
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

-20 was my coldest and had one hellufa time getting the bike started. Just layered up for that day but now have elec grips and vest. Windblock makes a great top layer and you can use good raingear as a top layer as well. Fleece is your friend for warmth and comfort. ride year round if the roads are reasonably clear. Our salt is tough on bikes though. If you can score a set of "Hippohands" they'll make a tremendous difference.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsterpaul
-20 was my coldest and had one hellufa time getting the bike started. Just layered up for that day but now have elec grips and vest. Windblock makes a great top layer and you can use good raingear as a top layer as well. Fleece is your friend for warmth and comfort. ride year round if the roads are reasonably clear. Our salt is tough on bikes though. If you can score a set of "Hippohands" they'll make a tremendous difference.
You're riding year around in Michigan.....I'm not worthy.

And 20 below zero....I'm surprised that your bike did start. I started mine once at 2 below, and it just barely happened. Ride on my friend!!

Ditto on the fleece, or flannel lined clothes. I'm a big fan. For those that don't know, Bass Pro shop has some good flannel and fleece lined jeans,

Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM

There's a lot of us that ride year 'round here. Keep the bike well-tuned, use lighter oil in the winter (5w-50 works well), keep it on a battery tender and/or in a heated garage, and it'll start just as cold as most cars.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Dark Wolf
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine stays parked in the living room. Nice and warm, and easy starting! Lol!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I go with, thermal socks, good biker boots, longjohns, jeans, leather jacket, longjohn shirt, t-shirt, gauntlet gloves, full-face helmet and sometimes a full neck shirt.

If I am going to ride in the cold (which I have done, plenty of times ) I don't want to be cold. It is actually kinda nice in the cold.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
sportsterpaul
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
You're riding year around in Michigan.....I'm not worthy.

And 20 below zero....I'm surprised that your bike did start. I started mine once at 2 below, and it just barely happened. Ride on my friend!!

Ditto on the fleece, or flannel lined clothes. I'm a big fan. For those that don't know, Bass Pro shop has some good flannel and fleece lined jeans,
SportyPig: Keep in mind that flannel is cotton, not the warmest, if it gets wet-forget it no warmth and takes forever to dry. FLEECE. Oh, and the -20 day = woke up to blue skies and bright sunshine was determined to ride, after 45 minutes of no start I ended up with an electric heater under the bike, ( it sits out on the sidewalk), with a tarp over it, an hour later it started. Didn't learn just how cold it was until I got back later in the day. Ride safe and best wishes for the Holiday season.

Quick Reply: cold weather riding gear