Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I put forwards on my Iron?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:08 PM
883Persian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an iron on mids ...
i rode the 48 with forwards fell in love ...so now im ordering forward controls for my iron ....

Old 11-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Though, in my experience, this is exactly backwards for folks with long thighs. Forwards feel like mids, and mids feel like rearsets. If you have long thighs, you can stand up just fine on forwards,
No, you can't. My thighs are longer than my calfs, by a fair margin, as they should be. In fact, they are approximately 1.618 times as long, as are every other human's.

you can carve around corners just fine, run around in town just fine... but you just can't do 250-mile-plus days with mids. It's too cramped.
No, it isn't. I've put many 300+ mile days on mids. If mids are so bad for long rides, why do touring bikes have their floorboards essentially in the mid position (they certainly aren't "forward")? What you get used to is what feels "good." Doesn't mean it's "right." Moreover, what's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another. It is "too cramped" for you, because you want to justify forwards, or because you have mostly ridden with forwards, or because you want to feel good about your own bike, or... but it isn't because it's "too cramped" in reality.

I have mini-apes with my forwards, and that's perfect for my body size, for all kinds of riding.
No, it isn't. You like it, cool! That doesn't make it "perfect." "Perfect for all kinds of riding???" Drag racing, road racing, canyon carving, city, long-distance touring, motocross, flat track, bar hopping... one setup is "perfect" for all that? Gee, you should tell all the manufacturers about that, as their are a whole boatload of them throwing their money away developing other riding positions for the various tasks.

In fact I can easily mix up my leg position for greater comfort on the long haul, by stretching my legs out straight in front of me and resting the bottom of my calf on the forward peg... it's almost like having highway pegs, except when I go around a curve, the heels of my boots drag first. Very comfortable!
If forwards are the be-all and end-all, then why would you need to put your legs up on them? If they are the "perfect for all kinds of riding" position, then you'd never need to move them. The truth is that nothing is "perfect" for everything.

I'd lay real money all these people saying "stick with mids" have a butt-to-knee measurement far shorter than mine.
Doubt it. It's called the divine ratio, or the golden mean. Nature is full of it, and the human body fits into it perfectly.

So, you want a fair answer? Look at your thighs. They'll tell you, "forward or mid," far more accurately than any number of us on the internet.
Yeah, okay...

Forwards have their place. They can be very comfortable, depending on a whole lot of other variables. They are not, however, "perfect" for everything. You have to figure out what type of riding you are going to do the most, and set up your bike for that, and deal with the shortcomings the rest of the time. Everyone who has ridden for a long time has come to expect a certain set of ergonomics from their bike, and that will always feel "right" to them, and they will be loyal to that feel. Doesn't make it "right" for everyone else. I like forwards, I like mids, I like rearsets. They are all fantastic for their intended purpose. Mids are intended to be the best compromise for the greatest variety of conditions. Forwards are intended for boulevard cruising. Touring floorboards are intended for long distance freeway touring. Rearsets are intended for racing.

I'm not telling you that you have to get mids. I'm not telling you that forwards are horrible. All I'm saying is that forwards aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread, as some would have you believe. They have serious shortcomings in many areas, but they do have their benefits.

The best answer may well be what so many people do: keep the mids, but get highway pegs and passenger pegs. This gives you three different places to put your feet. Better yet, it will allow you to "test" the foot position so that you will better know which fits the way you ride. We can't tell you what you should have, we can only give you advice based on our own experiences.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd lay real money all these people saying "stick with mids" have a butt-to-knee measurement far shorter than mine.
Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
My thighs are longer than my calfs, by a fair margin, as they should be. In fact, they are approximately 1.618 times as long, as are every other human's.

Doubt it. It's called the divine ratio, or the golden mean. Nature is full of it, and the human body fits into it perfectly.

Some people crack me up!
1st) What does a "butt to knee" measurement have to do with calves being longer than thighs?
2nd) Yes, the divine ratio is described as 1.618. So what?
3rd) Thighs versus calves are not assumed to be a divine ratio.
4th) Show me, on the chart below where it supports your statements?

From the illustration above, we can see several occurrences of the golden ratio found in the human body

Sole to navel (1) : Sole to crown (Phi)

Sole to knee : Sole to navel

Navel to shoulder : Navel to crown

Knees to calf muscle : Knees to sole

Navel to mid-thigh : Navel to knees

Navel to sternum or mid-chest : Navel to base of throat

Throat base to temple or brow bone : Throat base to crown

End of calf muscle down to ankle : Calf muscle to sole

Mid-thigh to start of kneecap : Mid-thigh to end of kneecap

Navel to crotch : Navel to mid-thigh

Navel to sternum base : Navel to sternum or mid-chest

Throat base to earlobe : Throat base to top of ear or brow bone

Brow bone to hairline : Brow bone to crown

Nose to chin : Nose to base of throat

My thighs are longer than my calfs, by a fair margin, as they should be. In fact, they are approximately 1.618 times as long, as are every other human's.
LOL Actually, I don't remember you ever coming to measure mine!

But thighs being longer than calves is NOT an equation included in the divine ratios of the human body. At least not by the experts. So I'm not sure where you are getting this information from?

And anyway, the first quote in this reply ;

He just says he bets he has longer legs/thighs than others posting here preferring mid controls. LOL. But you say you "Doubt it". LOL. Do you know how tall he is, versus the others who posted replies?? Because without that information, no sensible conclusion can be determined.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Forwards have their place. They can be very comfortable, depending on a whole lot of other variables. They are not, however, "perfect" for everything. You have to figure out what type of riding you are going to do the most, and set up your bike for that, and deal with the shortcomings the rest of the time. Everyone who has ridden for a long time has come to expect a certain set of ergonomics from their bike, and that will always feel "right" to them, and they will be loyal to that feel. Doesn't make it "right" for everyone else. I like forwards, I like mids, I like rearsets. They are all fantastic for their intended purpose. Mids are intended to be the best compromise for the greatest variety of conditions. Forwards are intended for boulevard cruising. Touring floorboards are intended for long distance freeway touring. Rearsets are intended for racing.

I'm not telling you that you have to get mids. I'm not telling you that forwards are horrible. All I'm saying is that forwards aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread, as some would have you believe. They have serious shortcomings in many areas, but they do have their benefits.

The best answer may well be what so many people do: keep the mids, but get highway pegs and passenger pegs. This gives you three different places to put your feet. Better yet, it will allow you to "test" the foot position so that you will better know which fits the way you ride. We can't tell you what you should have, we can only give you advice based on our own experiences.
I do however agree with most of these statements.
Although your assumptions that each type of footrests are "intended" for a certain purpose seems a bit over the top. "Intended"?? Not so sure. Again butt to knee.....oops, I meant to say height and riding style can also be a factor for each of these.

But generally I can agree with much of that statement.

Last edited by kahaone; 11-28-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TEK - Calm down! LOL

Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by kahaone
Some people crack me up!

Sometimes I even crack myself up, with the wild crazy, over-the-top replies!!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Some people crack me up!
1st) What does a "butt to knee" measurement have to do with calves being longer than thighs?
2nd) Yes, the divine ratio is described as 1.618. So what?
3rd) Thighs versus calves are not assumed to be a divine ratio.
4th) Show me, on the chart below where it supports your statements?

From the illustration above, we can see several occurrences of the golden ratio found in the human body

Sole to navel (1) : Sole to crown (Phi)

Sole to knee : Sole to navel

Navel to shoulder : Navel to crown

Knees to calf muscle : Knees to sole

Navel to mid-thigh : Navel to knees

Navel to sternum or mid-chest : Navel to base of throat

Throat base to temple or brow bone : Throat base to crown

End of calf muscle down to ankle : Calf muscle to sole

Mid-thigh to start of kneecap : Mid-thigh to end of kneecap

Navel to crotch : Navel to mid-thigh

Navel to sternum base : Navel to sternum or mid-chest

Throat base to earlobe : Throat base to top of ear or brow bone

Brow bone to hairline : Brow bone to crown

Nose to chin : Nose to base of throat

LOL Actually, I don't remember you ever coming to measure mine!

But thighs being longer than calves is NOT an equation included in the divine ratios of the human body. At least not by the experts. So I'm not sure where you are getting this information from?

And anyway, the first quote in this reply ;

He just says he bets he has longer legs/thighs than others posting here preferring mid controls. LOL. But you say you "Doubt it". LOL. Do you know how tall he is, versus the others who posted replies?? Because without that information, no sensible conclusion can be determined.

You're absolutely right. I enjoy a good argument, and disagreed with his point, but "spoke" too quickly without double-checking my facts. I remembered some of the ratios, but mis-remembered the leg-thigh one. Oops, sorry.

I do however agree with most of these statements.
Although your assumptions that each type of footrests are "intended" for a certain purpose seems a bit over the top. "Intended"?? Not so sure. Again butt to knee.....oops, I meant to say height and riding style can also be a factor for each of these.

But generally I can agree with much of that statement.
Thanks, me too. :-)

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
TEK - Calm down! LOL
You're right, too. I get a little worked up when people talk about forwards being "right" for every type of riding.

Sometimes I even crack myself up, with the wild crazy, over-the-top replies!!
Me, too. I should try reading my responses before I hit "submit reply." But on the other hand, if I do that, what'll we do for entertainment? Oh, yeah, there's still plenty of stupidity out there to laugh at...

Old 11-28-2010, 03:54 PM
kahaone
Road Master

I am going to give you "points" for being a good sport too! I was sitting here thinking that most people would take my post as too argumentative, and lash back with a sour response. So, kudos to you for that!

ps.....I like forward controls.

Last edited by kahaone; 11-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 PM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a shortie 5'7' with a 30' inseam so forwards on the sportster for me is comfortable. I can take the twisties fine. Also, too me going from a stop throwing my feet forward feels comfortable to me.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 PM

I am going to give you "points" for being a good sport too! I was sitting here thinking that most people would take my post as too argumentative, and lash back with a sour response. So, kudos to you for that!

ps.....I like forward controls.
thanks.

pps... me, too. I just don't think they're a panacea, they aren't right for all people for all purposes.

Quick Reply: Should I put forwards on my Iron?