Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself CRANK CASE BREATHER

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
With 40 microns I'll have atleast the same backpressure as yours.
I don't feel the need to argue it (and probably can't) but I doubt that is actually the case.

Your other points, I get.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:03 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by schwingding
I don't feel the need to argue it (and probably can't) but I doubt that is actually the case.

Your other points, I get.
Oh man I'm sorry...I didn't mean to come off as combative.

What is the filtration of your filter then?

And for the record...the stock set up is routed behind the main air cleaner for the sole purpose of what the filter offers. There's no pressure rhyme or reason with a stock set up.

Last edited by mreed; 02-18-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:29 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Oh man I'm sorry...I didn't mean to come off as combative.

What is the filtration of your filter then?

And for the record...the stock set up is routed behind the main air cleaner for the sole purpose of what the filter offers. There's no pressure rhyme or reason with a stock set up.
Actually that is not completely true. The reason, other than smog/CARB stuff, that the breathers vent directly into the venturi or throttle body is to pull air out of the breather tube/crankcase, rather than rely simply on blow by as is the case with a standard breather. The negative pressure (or simply decreased pressure) alleviates stress on valve seals, gaskets, and other more delicate surfaces (at least technically it does/can, I suppose that is debatable).

I did not pass my breather tubes by any filters, as they do in the stock case as you correctly stated. The little bit of oil burned inside the combustion chamber, while not ideal, isn't going to kill the beast. In the breather case as you've set up, you'll have oil drips occasionally onto the crankcase, even at 40 microns.

And finally, I didn't think you were arguing, I use the word argue/debate interchangeably. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Please don't get me wrong, I think you do neat work!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Back a long time ago, drag racers put crankcase evacuation tubes in their headers to get rid of pressure build up. I use them on my drag boat to keep oil from snotting all over the back endof my boat. Now they use an actual belt-driven vacuum pump to create a negative pressure in the engine. This mod allowed them to use low tension rings, providing more horsepower because of the reduced friction. Our Harleys aren't quite that exotic, but it can't hurt anything. Just food for thought.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Back a long time ago, drag racers put crankcase evacuation tubes in their headers to get rid of pressure build up. I use them on my drag boat to keep oil from snotting all over the back endof my boat. Now they use an actual belt-driven vacuum pump to create a negative pressure in the engine. This mod allowed them to use low tension rings, providing more horsepower because of the reduced friction. Our Harleys aren't quite that exotic, but it can't hurt anything. Just food for thought.
Yeah, a friend of mine has a vacuum set up on his Camaro. Absolutely no noticeable difference other than no more oil splash out.

You would have to be tuned to the absolute top of the hill to even think that a Sportster would be affected one way or another by not having a positive pull to exhaust the crank case.

But, having said that, my wife's Buell Blast has a pretty nice umbrella valve set up from the factory. lol.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM
fattboy1967
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

hey mike got these breather bolts ...THEN i read ur thread on how to make my own....live and learn...thanks again

Name:  DSCF0144.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0145.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  133.4 KB

Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey! Right on man!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 PM
northwoodsiron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mreed.....

i already got these but have not gotten all my parts together yet , are these the right ones for a direct fit?

and thanks again for your great right ups!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by northwoodsiron
mreed.....

i already got these but have not gotten all my parts together yet , are these the right ones for a direct fit?

and thanks again for your great right ups!
Yep. Those are the ones.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 AM
XLOSTX
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet mod, I'll be putting this one on.

Thanks mreed

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself CRANK CASE BREATHER