Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whatcha guys think? (Nightster pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Wjtater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! I'm going to finish up my 98 this weekend.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Ketron10a
Advanced

Nice Job on the bike!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by silverado_mick
Here's a stupid question; lets say I hate the silver oil dipstick. How would I go about getting the trim ring off of there to paint it black?
It's held on with a push nut part # 8135B. Get a new one before you start. I managed to totally destroy the original getting it off without boogerin' up the little plastic stalk it pushes on to. Once you take the oil bag cover off, you'll see what's up. When I put mine back on, I ran a small bead of silicone caulk on the back - not enough to ooze out but enough to give it some grip.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 PM
silverado_mick
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
It's held on with a push nut part # 8135B. Get a new one before you start. I managed to totally destroy the original getting it off without boogerin' up the little plastic stalk it pushes on to. Once you take the oil bag cover off, you'll see what's up. When I put mine back on, I ran a small bead of silicone caulk on the back - not enough to ooze out but enough to give it some grip.
Thanks for the info Scuba, I'm gonna order one of those along with new plug wires this week and give it a shot. Hopefully I can get a nice gloss black and clearcoat on it so it just looks like part of the oil pan.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sorensentyler
you can take the bottom belt guard off without using a torx. should be 3 screws going into the bottom of the swing arm. take off your front fender and put a brace on it from lickscycles. they look sick man. next thing i'd do it get rid of all that ugly plastic underneath the tank and raise it 2'' or 2 1/2''. very easy mod and it gives the bike a nice look. i'll attach a pic of what i used to lift the tank. just use the flat piece.
Ditto on that. Also get rid of the top belt guard. And relocate the coil and ignition to the port side between the cylinders (where the AC is on the other side). Easy to do, lots of kits on ebay.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
evil_seven
Stage I

The bike looks nice!

With the drag bars, you might want to invert your mirrors. I have similar bars and first mounted the mirrors top side, I could only see my arm pits. Now my mirrors are mounted on the bottom of the bars, I can see everything behind me.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-03-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

nice bike , i love the vivid red / black combo , i saw one in the dealers the other day , its my new fav colour scheme , Ive got vivid black , i do think apes look better with the two tone colours though , and drags with the plain black , , but it still looks very cool though, nice job

Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 AM
silverado_mick
Advanced

Originally Posted by evil_seven
The bike looks nice!

With the drag bars, you might want to invert your mirrors. I have similar bars and first mounted the mirrors top side, I could only see my arm pits. Now my mirrors are mounted on the bottom of the bars, I can see everything behind me.
Yeah I thought of inverting them, but I like the looks of them upright better. I really can't see much out of them though, so I was actually considering a bar-end type of mirror for the left side. Thoughts?

Oh, and thanks for all the positive feedback guys. It means a lot to me since this is my first bike and I've really dug into making it "mine"! I've been pretty happy with being able to keep the costs within reason as well...for now.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 AM
silverado_mick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
I love that seat...looks totally vintage.

Maybe I should take the previous owner up on the spare badlander lying around.
Coming from a guy who owns an AWSOME sportster in my opinion, that is a very nice compliment to hear. Thanks. I looked at a lot of two ups, and I just kept coming back to the badlander for looks.

Quick Reply: Whatcha guys think? (Nightster pics)