Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I HAVE to go to harley for my 1k check up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same worry, how do you really know what they have done?? Your not back there watching and looking at what they have done. Personally I would like to watch and learn what they are doing but I guess I would be in the way. I have ordered the manual and will be doing it myself. Good luck to you hope all goes well.
RIde safe and often

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
woodybear
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cpitch my dealer sold me a pair of Rush slipons when I ask him if I installed them would that void my warranty he said"I don't care if you run it without any exhaust at all I will honor the warranty". He also said the Stage One Air Intake was a waste of money and he won't install the Fuel Paks for the same reason. He said to install the slipons and run it for a while and see if it needs the Stage One Download, it did so I had that done for $145.00, sounds awesome and runs like a top.
As far as the first year warranty service my dealer said it would run about $180.00.

Jack

Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 AM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by mpaquette
From my understanding of the Magnusson/Moss Act, it is illegal for a manufacturer to void the warranty just because aftermarket parts were installed. I'm no lawyer though, so I'd be curious to see how/when this played out in some cases.
Yes but here is the catch. If the part caused the failure, they can. So you can install a Chinese filter but if the thing collapses and blocks off oil flow (hypothetical situation) they can void the warranty. Sure, you can fight it but you got the money for the lawyer? Don't like my answer? Sue me. Sucks that I have laywers on retainer and can write it off but you can't.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Aaron48
Road Master

I just got my 48 back from the 1,000 Mile service....Boy am I glad I spent the money and Pre Paid service. $455 for everything out the door, They true up the spoke wheels, Change all the fluids, Re-torque all bolts, Adjust the clutch and cable, Check all cables and lube them. I had Amsoil put in and I have to say the bike shifts and runs a lot better, There is even less lifter noise at the top of the motor. Tech notes were: Technician Suggests use of Super Tuner instead of Fuel Pak. So maybe Ill go that route we will see.

All in all I am very happy except for the fact It was pouring out when I rode it home the 8 miles.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes you do, go straight to your dealer.....do not pass go, do not collect a thousand dollars either. lol.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM
mikeyypl
Advanced

I don't doubt the fact that it's a lot of work. I will take it to a professional but I would rather take it to a local shop than Harley. I want to avoid going to any Harley dealer in the Chicagoland area because being in one is like watching a horrible sitcom with even worse actors. Every sales guy around here has a story and offers "the best deals in the US." I wish I could call them out on their bullsh*t but I it's better to just keep quiet. And because of the fact that they lied to me I won't even by a screw from those assh*les.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by mikeyypl
I don't doubt the fact that it's a lot of work. I will take it to a professional but I would rather take it to a local shop than Harley. I want to avoid going to any Harley dealer in the Chicagoland area because being in one is like watching a horrible sitcom with even worse actors. Every sales guy around here has a story and offers "the best deals in the US." I wish I could call them out on their bullsh*t but I it's better to just keep quiet. And because of the fact that they lied to me I won't even by a screw from those assh*les.
I've been bent over by dealerships. I've been bent over by independents. I've been bent over by locals. So, there is no safe harbor. Just because you are a dealership, independent or local shop it doesn't mean you won't try to bend me over. Bottom line is there is NO, ZERO, NONE, NADA, etc, etc prostitute for customer vigilance. I don't care if you want to talk bikes or medical or even kite making. If you don't know or know someone who knows, you could be screwed.

Here is a personal story. I was in the hospital with a broken ankle and surgery was done. I was in pain. RN was called in and gave me some "**** and bull" story about why I cannot get pain meds for another 3 or 4 hrs. At this time, my wife was on her last semester to be an RN. I lied a little and said "I don't understand it and I don't want to take your time to explain it further but if you leave the chart out, my RN wife can explain it to me when she gets here.". Lo and behold, I got my pain meds in 30 mins. Another time my ER RN was making me a pin cushion and said it was difficult because of "yada, yada, yada". I fired her and got my wife to do the IV in 1 stick. When our vehicles go to the mechanic, her instructions are "Pick up the car. I will have paid for it. Don't talk to the tech. Don't say ANYTHING. Don't even look them in the eye. Refer everything to me.".

Yes, the salesmen at the dealership is going to try to get you to buy whatever they can. So, do you want to "cut the nose to spite the face"? I wouldn't. Find someone who is qualified to work on the bike regardless where it is at and you will be further ahead. I develop a personal relationship with 2 master techs at the MB dealership and they do side jobs for me once in a while and when I go there, we discussed the job and the service writer simply writes up what I tell him.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 PM
mikeyypl
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
I've been bent over by dealerships. I've been bent over by independents. I've been bent over by locals. So, there is no safe harbor. Just because you are a dealership, independent or local shop it doesn't mean you won't try to bend me over. Bottom line is there is NO, ZERO, NONE, NADA, etc, etc prostitute for customer vigilance. I don't care if you want to talk bikes or medical or even kite making. If you don't know or know someone who knows, you could be screwed.

Here is a personal story. I was in the hospital with a broken ankle and surgery was done. I was in pain. RN was called in and gave me some "**** and bull" story about why I cannot get pain meds for another 3 or 4 hrs. At this time, my wife was on her last semester to be an RN. I lied a little and said "I don't understand it and I don't want to take your time to explain it further but if you leave the chart out, my RN wife can explain it to me when she gets here.". Lo and behold, I got my pain meds in 30 mins. Another time my ER RN was making me a pin cushion and said it was difficult because of "yada, yada, yada". I fired her and got my wife to do the IV in 1 stick. When our vehicles go to the mechanic, her instructions are "Pick up the car. I will have paid for it. Don't talk to the tech. Don't say ANYTHING. Don't even look them in the eye. Refer everything to me.".

Yes, the salesmen at the dealership is going to try to get you to buy whatever they can. So, do you want to "cut the nose to spite the face"? I wouldn't. Find someone who is qualified to work on the bike regardless where it is at and you will be further ahead. I develop a personal relationship with 2 master techs at the MB dealership and they do side jobs for me once in a while and when I go there, we discussed the job and the service writer simply writes up what I tell him.
As stated before my issue is about the fact that they lied about me having to go to Harley or else my warranty is void. If you're lying from the start then how do I know they are doing what they are supposed to do? It's a matter of trust and principle. If the dealer would have said "look, the truth is you can get your service done anywhere as long as you can provide records that you did it. However, I would recommend you bring it to us since we are a Harley dealer and that's all we specialize in." That changes the game. I just hate being lied to. To me it's just as bad as cheating.

Aaron, I don't doubt that you have had a great experience with your dealer. I don't have that luxury. Every Harley dealer I go to tells me some sort of bullsh*t to get me to buy or spend. I already found a local shop that has a ton of positive reviews. Going there tomorrow. I got on the phone with them and they told me to bring it in and they would love to see if they can help me out. No BS about fees, charges, etc. I think it's crazy that Harley is even charging for quotes. It's like me trying to get a construction job and charging the person a fee for me coming out there.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

As stated before my issue is about the fact that they lied about me having to go to Harley or else my warranty is void. If you're lying from the start then how do I know they are doing what they are supposed to do? It's a matter of trust and principle. If the dealer would have said "look, the truth is you can get your service done anywhere as long as you can provide records that you did it. However, I would recommend you bring it to us since we are a Harley dealer and that's all we specialize in." That changes the game. I just hate being lied to. To me it's just as bad as cheating.

Aaron, I don't doubt that you have had a great experience with your dealer. I don't have that luxury. Every Harley dealer I go to tells me some sort of bullsh*t to get me to buy or spend. I already found a local shop that has a ton of positive reviews. Going there tomorrow. I got on the phone with them and they told me to bring it in and they would love to see if they can help me out. No BS about fees, charges, etc. I think it's crazy that Harley is even charging for quotes. It's like me trying to get a construction job and charging the person a fee for me coming out there.
I fully understand where you are going with that. In fact, I make it a point in my life to avoid the slick people when it comes to any personal relationships. After all, if you can sell someone a bill of goods, you can do that to me too. In my work, I am more apt to bend the rules for you if you sincerely come to me and tell me you have a problem. Lie to me once and I will fawk you up as far as I can legally just for spite. My message is I hope you won't avoid a dealership simply because another dealership lied to you. As I have said, independents have been just as bad in my book. I think that dealership or independent, it is about establishing a relationship with the person working on your item, whatever it is. As my mechanic, you might find small envelops of cash with your name on it as a tip on a particularly difficult job or I might bring coffee and donuts, take you out to lunch etc, etc. Why? I want to build a relationship and then hire you on the side. My Jetski and ATV mechanic was this way. Same with my MB and Ford techs and soon my Harley tech.

Sales and the tech working on the bike are quite different. Why do you think there are so many jokes about the used car salesman being scum? It is almost expected. If you won't sell your mother into slavery, you won't make it in sales, it seems. Just because the independent shop doesn't have bikes to sell you and less ways to scam you doesn't mean they cannot. I accept that many customers are not like me. I bring the parts there and I often watch, even with binoculars to see what you are doing. Sometimes I do surprise checks. Sometimes I bring pizza there and we eat while you work on my vehicle. Last independent shop I went to tried to charge me a couple hundred bucks, assuming "a sunny day" removal with no issues for the removal of a couple of fittings for my AC and a recharge when converting to R134A. Midas did it for $50. Wrench to remove valve, install new valves and recharge. I also have done the Midas manager a few favors in my time. Another independent shop did an oil change. Strange. They said they changed the filter and when I checked, I asked how they happened to have a filter with my initials carved in an obscure place. At an MB dealership, one of the techs would do a brake flush by simply sucking out old fluid and putting in new without flushing the lines like they charged.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

I understand what you are sayin Mikey...I hate Liars and I hate being lied too.
Bottom line is the dealer uses Scare Tactics to get people to come back and keep money in the dealership. Those Tech's and Service Writers have one mission and that is to make money..Period.

Hey ya know its only a 6 hour ride from Chi to St Paul just pack up yer **** come move to Minnesota and become part of that thing we call Minnesota Nice...(Which Is Total B.S.) Wont you be my neighbor

Quick Reply: Do I HAVE to go to harley for my 1k check up?