Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I HAVE to go to harley for my 1k check up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 PM
mikeyypl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I HAVE to go to harley for my 1k check up?

After I signed all the paperwork for my new 48 they threw in the "Oh, by the way, you have to get serviced by us at 1,000 miles or else you void your warranty." So my question is: Do I have to go to that dealership for the 1k service? They said it's 300 bucks and I think that's a little pricey for an oil change.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No you do not. And its a little more than an oil change

Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM
mikeyypl
Advanced

I'm sure it is but I can't justify 300 dollars. Lets say they drain all the fluids, tighten up cables, whatever. I can do all that myself for a 1/5th of the cost. And I really don't want to go to Harley because of the fact they told me about it AFTER I signed the paperwork. I mean, I don't care that much but it's the principle.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer basically begged me to "at least come in for the first service, I know you can change your oil but we do check a lot of other stuff. You can do the rest of them" I'm just over 1K now. Been on the fence, but I'm probably going to just take it in. If you look in the owners manual, it lists what's involved in each service.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

This is one of the reasons why I got the prepaid maintenance. Its really more than an oil change...I have found a Few fasteners that were loose, and any adjustments to the clutch are done as well. For me I got it as a piece of mind and they keep all the records on it. I just dropped mine off yesterday and should get it back Thursday.

As I believe as long as you record all maintenance done in your owners manual you should be good, double check though.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you're pissed at the dealer who lied about it, you can take it into any HD....

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DizWolf
And if you're pissed at the dealer who lied about it, you can take it into any HD....
I've been told by two dealerships that the pre-paid maintenance plan can only be done by the selling dealer, but the extended warranty work can be done by any dealer. Can you verify your info, please?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Reblyel
Advanced

How do you know if the 'stealers' do anything other then change your oil? You dont go back with them to watch them do a service the majority of the time, you sure dont in this area.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

A friend of mine runs the parts counter at my dealer I have seen a 1,000 mile service in progress and trust me its way more than just and oil change they do. They go over the entire bike front to back and top to bottom checking, tightening, adjusting, and changing fluids. Especially those of us with spoke wheels they have to check each spoke and make sure the wheels are true.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 PM
yet_erp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my sporty into the dealership for the 1k service and it will be the last. After I rode the 30 miles home, I checked the oil level and the dipstick felt gritty when I twisted it out. I was so ticked I decided to drop all the oils and change the engine oil filter. Well guess what, the oil filter coming off was gritty too. I won't be going back in there for any work. EVER!!

Quick Reply: Do I HAVE to go to harley for my 1k check up?