Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Tuning geeks...Yer opinion..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok Tuning geeks...Yer opinion..?

OK here is my thinking and I know not everyone is a fan of the FuelPak but work with me here....

I removed my high flow aircleaner, I reinstalled my stock airfilter and airbox.
I have a Fuelpak and Full Bassani Exhaust, Now I left the tune in the FP the same and the baffles are flow through..not quiet.

The stock airfilter is NOT paper its white compressed cotton or some kinda white fiber whatever it is. My thought is since V&H "Recommends" you run a high flow airfilter this one (stock) should work.

Another thing the FP is tuned too run slightly richer than stock. By leaving the stock filter on dont you think it would run a little more on the rich side???

I am gonna try this setup for a little while and see what happens....please give me your Educated opinion.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron48
OK here is my thinking and I know not everyone is a fan of the FuelPak but work with me here....

I removed my high flow aircleaner, I reinstalled my stock airfilter and airbox.
I have a Fuelpak and Full Bassani Exhaust, Now I left the tune in the FP the same and the baffles are flow through..not quiet.

The stock airfilter is NOT paper its white compressed cotton or some kinda white fiber whatever it is. My thought is since V&H "Recommends" you run a high flow airfilter this one (stock) should work.

Another thing the FP is tuned too run slightly richer than stock. By leaving the stock filter on dont you think it would run a little more on the rich side???

I am gonna try this setup for a little while and see what happens....please give me your Educated opinion.
I would think it would be a bit rich with the stock a/c. Now can I ask why you took off the high flow filter and went back to stock?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

While Idling (warming up) the bike would pause for a split second, maybe two, three times at the most. I found this to be odd, so I reinstalled the factory AC and it stopped doing this. I think the bike was getting too much air and was almost stalling out. After its warm it will not do this at all, Just a guess though...

Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theoretically if it was tuned properly before going with the more restrictive air cleaner would result in a rich running condition.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's warming up and the issue goes away, put the hi-flow a/c back on and leave it alone. Performance parts tend to exhibit quirky behavior when the bike is running cold...that's just how it is. You're gonna do more harm by removing the a/c and restricting your intake if it was mapped to compensate for it with the higher flow in the first place. I'd say double check the tune with the higher flow air cleaner on...could be something's off. Could also be that's just how the bike is going to act when it's cold.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

V&H sets up their fuel packs to run close to stock setups. They compensate slightly for the added air from an exhaust and a highflow AC.
There wasn't a tune downloaded, I am only using the settings provided to me by V&H via email.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd still say you're fine if it goes away after warm up then. I know with carb'd models running high flow a/c and more open pipes there was always hesitation, stutter, etc. when first starting up...the colder it was, the worse it was.

Same case seems to exist on fuel injected models, too though. Right now I'm riding an 07 Street Bob with a 103 kit and some other tweaks that doesn't like the cold weather, either. After a couple minutes, it settles down and hauls *** with no issues. If it were a V-rod or some other liquid cooled bike, I'd maybe raise an eyebrow, but air cooled engines are just bastards when they're not hot sometimes. Especially with higher performance parts on them.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 AM

People just don't seem to understand the difference between fuel injection and carburetion. A fuel injected engine will compensate for changes made to the intake and/or exhaust. So, if you put a different filter element on, you will not run richer or leaner than before, although you will make more or less horsepower, depending on how efficiently you are moving air (an ICE is just an air pump, after all).

Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 AM
jimmy85
Advanced

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
People just don't seem to understand the difference between fuel injection and carburetion. A fuel injected engine will compensate for changes made to the intake and/or exhaust. So, if you put a different filter element on, you will not run richer or leaner than before, although you will make more or less horsepower, depending on how efficiently you are moving air (an ICE is just an air pump, after all).
I agree, but I think the compensation you speak of wasn't designed for aftermarket parts. It was design to compensate for different weather/driving conditions. Having somewhat restrictive intake and exhaust from the factory will narrow down the amount of compensation the EFI needs to account for. Too much fluctuation in air flow(power) is probably not a good sales point. This is what keeps aftermarket parts manufacturers in business. An EFI is basically an automatic choke.

If I were to put an intake on my truck (EFI) it would require a programmer if the intake tube was greater than a 3" diameter. Too much air would make the sensors go ape **** and you check engine light will come on.

I'm no expert, but we can all tell when our vehicles are running better or worse. So I say if it runs like crap, put the high flow a/c back on, if not stick with what you got.

BTW Aaron, Love the pipes man. Already thought they looked nice, but then I heard the video of them and ****! Seriously considering them over some straightshots.

Last edited by jimmy85; 05-23-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Aaron48
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimmy85
I agree, but I think the compensation you speak of wasn't designed for aftermarket parts. It was design to compensate for different weather/driving conditions. Having somewhat restrictive intake and exhaust from the factory will narrow down the amount of compensation the EFI needs to account for. Too much fluctuation in air flow(power) is probably not a good sales point. This is what keeps aftermarket parts manufacturers in business. An EFI is basically an automatic choke.

If I were to put an intake on my truck (EFI) it would require a programmer if the intake tube was greater than a 3" diameter. Too much air would make the sensors go ape **** and you check engine light will come on.

I'm no expert, but we can all tell when our vehicles are running better or worse. So I say if it runs like crap, put the high flow a/c back on, if not stick with what you got.

BTW Aaron, Love the pipes man. Already thought they looked nice, but then I heard the video of them and ****! Seriously considering them over some straightshots.
My thoughts exaclty sir well said...
Jimmy trust me you want these pipes all I can say is you will not regret it !!!
You can also get them in black if chrome aint yer thing.

Quick Reply: Ok Tuning geeks...Yer opinion..?