Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What features to have on saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 AM
elkhunter719
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like what you're putting together. I'd like to see how or if they will work with solo seat. Mine would have to have studs and conchos. Like the ideas of easy removable, no light relocation, lockable and military style clasp (hide the clasp with a false buckle if you want for looks.)

Old 05-28-2011, 12:45 AM
KeiSki
6th Gear

I'm liking the bags already. When are you looking to have them available? (note my impatience)

Detachable, secure, passenger comfort.
---All else is secondary for my purpose.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 AM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate

"I'm liking the bags already. When are you looking to have them available? (note my impatience)"

If we went with the heavy leather and just like the prototype, 2-3 weeks. If we make them out of vinly it will take a little longer as we don't have the vinyl in stock.

Seamonkey- black shouldn't be a problem as we have a powdercoater we work with.

Elkhunter- I will try to get a pic with solo seat later today.

Thank you all for your input, keep it coming, I really appreciate it. Plus it is just fun to talk to fellow bikers.

Hondo

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM
elkhunter719
Cruiser

I like the leather option myself and the bracket comment from Osco. Locks would be nice as an option, something to keep the honest that way. I have the smaller Licks for daily use but like the larger bag for day/weekend trips to haul leather jacket, rain gear, etc. Will wait to see the finished product but looks good so far.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate

Here is a pic with the solo seat as promised, and it looks like you would expect, like regular throw over bags. Not sure if longer solo seat would cover the yoke or not.

Here is the same bike but with a fender bib I whipped up this morning.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 PM
BisbeeDyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We have been looking for bags for the Hugger but think we will wait a few weeks to see how these turn out. Looking good so far!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 PM
mbranscum
Advanced

I really like them. What price range are you looking at?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser

I have the exact same seat with the Mustang fender bib and a small curved style luggage rack. Trying to visualize how that will all go together and what will be left on the bike once the bags are removed. Maybe a better question is how much do I need to remove if I want to take the bags off? Or what will hold them on if they do not go under the seat?

Last edited by elkhunter719; 05-29-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:29 AM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate

Elkhunter, I will post a pic of what is left on the bike on tues. as the shop is closed till then and that is where I left my camera. All it is, is a chrome spacer 1/2" by 1/2" with a button head bolt in the hole between the shock and signals.

The top of the brackets and the straps have to go under the seat (or bib). That is what holds the bags in place. The leather yoke is just a cover and serves no other purpose than to hide the bracket and straps.

To take the bags off you have to undo the bolt at the back of your 2-up seat (or bib if you have one) and loosen the strap buckles. I use a chrome thumb screw on my bike so I don't have to use a screwdriver. If you have a fender rack, you might have to pull the straps totally out of the low side bag to get them off.

mbranscum, don't know price for sure yet, thats why I started this thread to see what you guys wanted and what price range. From the looks of things, we might have different models from vinyl and leather anywhere from $200 to $400

Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser

Here is my set up. Let me know what you think. Will your bags work?

Attached Thumbnails What features to have on saddlebags?-img_0435.jpg   What features to have on saddlebags?-img_0437.jpg  

Quick Reply: What features to have on saddlebags?