Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What features to have on saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What features to have on saddlebags?

Hi All, I知 looking for input from as many people as possible on what features to have on saddlebags. What is important to you? Leather or vinyl? Quick release buckles? No-sag or soft? Lockable lid? Long straps that go over the lid for added cargo space? What size? What price point? The reason I知 asking is because I have developed a new patent-pending saddle bag mounting system that does NOT require relocating the turn signals. I知 not here to try to sell anything, I just need help in designing the bags themselves so I can make what riders want. A lot of you already know me, I own a company that makes hi-end detachable saddlebags, but this new mounting system is a lot cheaper to make, so our goal is to have a product in the less pricey range. Here is a chance for you to provide real input for what you would like to see available. So let me know what you think.
Sincerely
Garry Campbell aka Hondo

Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hondofiero
... that does NOT require relocating the turn signals. ...
Right there. I really don't want to move my signals. It's not a cost or hassle thing. I just like 'em where they are. I'm having a hell of a time finding bags I like. Plain, Leather, moderately sized bags that detach would be nice. Right now the closest option I'm looking at are the HD throw-overs with supports.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Medium sized, waterproof, easily detached (ie both together like throw-overs) w/o supports and least interference with 2-up riding. Don't care how they open or close but lockable with cheap luggage type locks, and if accidentally left open (unbuckled, etc.) would want not to lose stuff getting sucked out if I took off and didn't realize the bags were left open.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Good support around the frame so they don't sag, velcro closures, quick snap latches, built in supports on the back, lids that open out away from the bike or up to the back.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Ferminator
Advanced

under $100... That being said, once your product(s) are complete I'm sure you will hook the Forum members up!? Especially us that provided you with this invaluable feedback

Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Made in America of course. I also like the idea of lids that open away from the bike or up to the back, the front would work to.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Why do you guys prefer lids that open away from the bike or towards the rear?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:42 AM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate

Great feedback so far! I am with dfndr on the lid opening. I am interested in what the advantage is. I mounted the first prototype on my 1200 Custom after work and rode the 9 miles home with 20 pounds of weight in each bag. Everything worked right with no rubbing. I will try to post a pic later today so you can let me know if the size is too big, too small ect.

Ferminator- of couse on the hook up, but I don't think we're going to make $100. With this system there are certain things we have to have. 1. Cost for the brackets and hardware will be around $45. 2. Cost for the molded ABS plastic backs is $40. These are the only two things we have to have. The cost for leather is around $100 if we use the same leather we use on our premium bags. We could use a cheaper thinner leather for around $50. Or we could use heavy vinyl for around $25. The bags will be made here in the US so we will have labor cost of $40-100 that will depend on how fancy we get. Plastic reinforsement would be $15-40 and locking lids would add about $50.

Hondo

Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 AM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate
Default pictures

OK here are some pics of the first proto-type. The top view pic with the seat off shows how the system works. I had the idea of attaching the bags to the sideplates and that would give me the strength I needed but would only work if you had sideplates. But a bracket over the fender would give me the same thing and basically that is what I did. In the pic you can see a bunch of clear tape on the fender, I just put that on temporarily while building the bracket to protect the paint. The end product will only require a small piece of 3m's clear protective stuff (about 6" by 6") under the leather padding to protect the paint. The only thing that stays on the bike (other than the clear protective stuff) is a 1/2" chrome spacer on the bolt between the shock and the turn signals. This spacer slips through a hole in the bracket and then you cinch tight the straps and the curve in the bracket that matches the curve of the fender holds everything in place.

So what about size & shape? Bigger, smaller?

Hondo

Attached Thumbnails What features to have on saddlebags?-dcp_1314.jpg   What features to have on saddlebags?-dcp_1317.jpg   What features to have on saddlebags?-dcp_1320.jpg   What features to have on saddlebags?-dcp_1322.jpg  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 AM
hondofiero-Leather Pro
Intermediate

I'm not sure if the pics are viewable in previous post due to size. These should help.

Quick Reply: What features to have on saddlebags?