Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
AMathis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havn't had mine very long eighter but have done some things to it. When I bought mine the other owner and taken off the turn signals for saddlebags. So that had to be done right away I felt. I was going to use mine to ride everyday and to work out of town. So I had to have a luggage rack and Tbag and had to put on the rack right off too. It's a 91 1200 with that peanut gas tank (holds like 2.5 gallons of gas) not enough. So now I want a bigger fatbob type tank to get some miles behind me before I have to refill. I'm a taller guys and it has mid controls so I also want forwards too. I've been looking at a windsheld and different seats also for long ride comfort. What I'm getting at is you ain't missing nothing it seems we all want and need different stuff for our style of riding. You have a sharp looking bike but if it was mine I see some things I would want but it's not and I'm pretty sure in a year you'll have changed things too. Ride that baby and put what you want on it cause it's yours.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 PM
jthepipeguy38
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A need to modify no they are great bikes period to me. A want to, or desire to, and passion to modify hell ya!!
But if you enjoy what it is don't its your business.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
LeifAustin
Novice

Modifing it and making it your own is half the fun of owning a bike. Good looking bike BTW.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most people want to make their bike "their own". To some that means having a dealer install a lot of stuff out of the P&A catalog. To others it means buying tools and a lift and putting in hours of work in the garage. Some people are happy with their bike looks great. Others are happiest when their bike runs great. So don't get caught up in asking "Do you all..." because it doesn't matter what everybody else does. It's your bike, do with it what you want.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Ride It alot,,then ride It some more.

I did the Mustang seat,,got me a happy *** and back now XD

HD quarter fairing,,hated the hurricane force wind that caused me to "Hang" onto
the bars and doing that screws up handling. It Induces wobbles at big speed.
The heavy wind blast wears ya down fast.

Did the superbrace for less fork stiction due to fork flex,
Did the Ricor Intimidators wich makes the front forks behave more like
cartridge units.

Better rear shocks are being built for me,,hope they come soon XD

Added the X14ieD's for a bit more fuel and that smoothed out the engine nicely,
Especially at Superslab speeds,,
My Sportster has no vibrations at 75 mph or 80 or 85,,,,

All the EFI bikes are setup too lean from HD.
they often have a shitty Idle and a not so mooth linear power delivery.

You should look Into these,,
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/
Read the FAQ page.

I really like all the cool custom work and even the mass produced bolt on mods
the majority of sportster owners add to thier bikes.

Lots of people want a faster sportster but straight line speed cost alot of money
that I am not willing to part with, and I will not let my bike become a money pit.

IMO the 1200 Is plenty fast, does all I ask of It XD

Attached Thumbnails Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?-hpim0351.jpg   Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?-hpim0406.jpg   Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?-sebring-202010-20003.jpg  

Last edited by Osco; 06-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:03 PM
46and2
Cruiser

my bike *needed* Forwards instead of Mids.

most every other change is a *want*.

both are fine by me...

Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Not really i buy vehicles to ride/drive and not look at. Granted i have a nice looking bike but i might wash it once a year or twice and same goes for my Jeep. I did put a Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat on it but so far that's really my only change. I like to have the extra money in the bank for other things. For what it's worth a stock Harley exhaust still sounds like a Harley although i get a laugh out of those comparing the sound to a stock Honda as they sound nothing alike. I saw a VTX 1300 with loud pipes the other day and it sounded like total crap lol. I've actually heard a couple HD with after market pipes that sounded like crap as well.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I've gone full circle.
At first I wasn't going to change a thing but then thanks to this forum I started tinkering then that grew into many changes and now I have pretty much run out of things I want to change so I'm just gonna ride it now and enjoy it the way it is.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Not really i buy vehicles to ride/drive and not look at. Granted i have a nice looking bike but i might wash it once a year or twice and same goes for my Jeep. I did put a Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat on it but so far that's really my only change. I like to have the extra money in the bank for other things. For what it's worth a stock Harley exhaust still sounds like a Harley although i get a laugh out of those comparing the sound to a stock Honda as they sound nothing alike. I saw a VTX 1300 with loud pipes the other day and it sounded like total crap lol. I've actually heard a couple HD with after market pipes that sounded like crap as well.
Very well put XD

Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
desert drifter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
This question is undoubtedly because I am (a) a newbie and (b) not a mechanic by nature. I got my 2008 XL1200C about 4 weeks ago. I started reading this forum about a month before that. It seems everyone has done some mods on their bikes or at least plans to do so soon. My bike had a few safety and comfort mods on it when I got it--Sundowner seat, auxilliary lights, LED tail light, bags--but nothing performance related that I can tell. I've put about 1000 miles on it since I bought it and I love the way it rides. (OK, a 6th gear would be nice on the highway, but besides that, I think it's great.) I also like the looks of the bike. What am I missing. or will I figure it out in time? Are there others out there that like their bikes as they are?

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there! (I am the proud dad of 3 grown sons--27, 25 and 20.)
I had big big plans fer the bike before I got it, done some small mods, aint got too much cash at the moment, so didn't get round to it, "BUT" got enough cash to ride her, and happy with that fer now....

Quick Reply: Do you ALL feel the NEED to modify?