Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shady Valley, TN - Sportster Fall Group Ride 09/22/2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Yep. Me and the OL took a ride and stayed at Windy's campground for a few nights two weeks before the Sportster run last year. It was Certainteed (iirc) who posted about Switchback Creek campground that gave me the idea to stay there while the OL and I scouted out the surrounding area for land to buy. We haven't bought any yet, but we sure like the area. Windy was most accommodating, letting us use his big cooler and gas grill as well as lending us an extension cord so the OL could use the laptop in the tent. He gave me a personal tour of the grounds, describing his plans for the future of his campground endeavor. He also showed us his classic 2 wheeled baby. Very nice.
I'm seriously considering heading down for the Sportster meet-up. I'm taking a week off the beginning of September to go diving, so my work schedule may not permit another trip so soon. I'll know more by mid September. There's plenty of space at Switchback Creek, so reservations won't be an issue. It sure does sound like a good time.
inswva - Libras rule! I'm a Christmas-sex baby, too.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 07-17-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 PM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Yep. Me and the OL took a ride and stayed at Windy's campground for a few nights two weeks before the Sportster run last year. It was Certainteed (iirc) who posted about Switchback Creek campground that gave me the idea to stay there while the OL and I scouted out the surrounding area for land to buy. We haven't bought any yet, but we sure like the area. Windy was most accommodating, letting us use his big cooler and gas grill as well as lending us an extension cord so the OL could use the laptop in the tent. He gave me a personal tour of the grounds, describing his plans for the future of his campground endeavor. He also showed us his classic 2 wheeled baby. Very nice.
I'm seriously considering heading down for the Sportster meet-up. I'm taking a week off the beginning of September to go diving, so my work schedule may not permit another trip so soon. I'll know more by mid September. There's plenty of space at Switchback Creek, so reservations won't be an issue. It sure does sound like a good time.
inswva - Libras rule! I'm a Christmas-sex baby, too.
Yeah, Windy's "classic 2 wheeled baby" showed us who's the boss in those mountains. There were a couple of guys last time that was able to keep up with him although I'm sure he wasn't going at 100% (one even with a passenger) but as for me, I saw him the first curve and then again at the bottom of the mountain. Those skinny *** tires are only funny at first before you see that man take the curves.

He took us on this full day ride all over the place and it was by far one of the best rides I've been on.

Hopefully you'll be able to join us and meet a good group of guys.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 PM
3skulls
Tourer

HarleyScuba, hope you guys can make it out with us this year.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 PM
hobnecky10
Intermediate
Default Sounds great!

Hey, y'all! Don't spend a lot of time posting - given the only internet I have now is via my phone, but I did happen upon this thread while looking for tire recommendations for my 1200c (any thoughts on metzeler?!). Anyway, I don't have any experience riding in groups larger than 3 (work hours usually exclude me from all that weekend "fun stuff") but I've planned to make an exception to celebrate my BDay. I love that area and was planning to head there regardless - whether for paddling, hiking, or pavement - and I'm just wondering how welcome I would be.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 PM
hobnecky10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3skulls
If you didn't make it out last year, you need to try to make it this year.
BTW, awesome shot 3skulls!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hobnecky10
Hey, y'all! Don't spend a lot of time posting - given the only internet I have now is via my phone, but I did happen upon this thread while looking for tire recommendations for my 1200c (any thoughts on metzeler?!). Anyway, I don't have any experience riding in groups larger than 3 (work hours usually exclude me from all that weekend "fun stuff") but I've planned to make an exception to celebrate my BDay. I love that area and was planning to head there regardless - whether for paddling, hiking, or pavement - and I'm just wondering how welcome I would be.
You'd be more than welcome! The more the merrier.

Before the ride last year, group ride experience for me was me and another guy. Always ride solo since none of my friends ride and this was the first group ride I experienced. Not sure how other group rides work but there was no schedule and it was just a full day of riding awesome roads and just having a blast with good people.

The Snake is definitely not a beginner's road but at the same time, no one is going to pressure you to keep up but on the contrary, everyone wants you to ride your ride and be comfortable with what you're doing. The best part is just sitting around the camp fire and hanging out with some cool people who share the same interest as you and just making new friends. I think we were all a little skeptical at first since you are meeting people that you only interact with online but obviously, everyone that showed up last year had a good time, otherwise we wouldn't be planning another one this year.

Worst case scenario, you come out, think we're all idiots and never show up again but at least you'll know of some awesome rides somewhat close to you and you'll have a place to go unwind when none of us are there

In terms of Metzlers, a couple of the guys that have chimed in on this thread have the ME 880s, including myself, and we all love it. Seems to grip a little better than the stock Dunlops. Personally, I can't really say how long they last since they're still pretty new but so far, I really like them. I have read from others that they don't stick as well when they're worn but I'll have to see that for myself when I get there.

Keep in touch and if it's hard for you to monitor this thread, PM me your email and I"ll send you updates as the time nears. So far it looks like 9/22 is the date but we'll set things up as the time nears.

Also, seems like we may have a lot of birthdays if everyone shows up so I'm thinking we need a huge *** cake and a stripper to pop out of one.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hobnecky10
You would be more than welcome! You probably won't even be inappropriately fondled. Probably.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 PM
hobnecky10
Intermediate

Thank you, jbyun, for the reply - on both counts! I appreciate your candor regarding the twisties & assure you I have a few under my belt. And I will surely PM you at some point...if I can figure out how to do that!?

Oh...and as for the strippers, please include the other sex!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

In a regular browser you click on my name and there is an option to Private Message me...since you're just on your phone, not sure how that works.

Last edited by jbyun; 07-17-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
3skulls
Tourer

Hey thanks.
On the phone you'll have to go to the "normal version" link at the bottom of the page. That will take you to the non-mobile site and you can PM from there.
I was the same last year when it came to a group ride. Only rode with one other person a few times.
Never knew they made roads like that.

Add me to the list of birthdays in September.

Quick Reply: Shady Valley, TN - Sportster Fall Group Ride 09/22/2011