Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic tire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Tangle Eye
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic tire question

This is something I should know but I don't. *I'm about to get the HD slotted 6 spoke cast wheel for my 2005 XL883C. HD sells the Dunlop GT502F 80/90-21 or the Michelin Commander MH90-21 tire for the Sportster. These would, I think be designed for tube use with the laced front wheel.

Here's the question, are either or both of these tires also designed for tubeless use with the cast wheel?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

Someones answer to a similar question on another forum.Also i just replaced my front tire,although the tire says tubeless i still used the tube.

When I got my tires for my mag wheels I was told to run tubes because a tube wheel is not designed to hold the sidewall of the tire against the bead, Tubeless wheels have a ridge on the inside of the wheel to hold the tire bead in place. So if you have wheels that require a tube and your not running a tube, it may not leak but if you are turning and hit a bump the bead of the tire may shift in and let all the air out...BAD! But if you had a tube and the same thing happened then the tire would just pop back in place beacuse no air was lost...

I have no proof of this, it is just what I was told by the motorcycle mechanic.

I was also told that there is no problem running a tube on tubeless tires by the same mechanic.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:08 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsytattooman
Someones answer to a similar question on another forum.Also i just replaced my front tire,although the tire says tubeless i still used the tube.

When I got my tires for my mag wheels I was told to run tubes because a tube wheel is not designed to hold the sidewall of the tire against the bead, Tubeless wheels have a ridge on the inside of the wheel to hold the tire bead in place. So if you have wheels that require a tube and your not running a tube, it may not leak but if you are turning and hit a bump the bead of the tire may shift in and let all the air out...BAD! But if you had a tube and the same thing happened then the tire would just pop back in place beacuse no air was lost...

I have no proof of this, it is just what I was told by the motorcycle mechanic.

I was also told that there is no problem running a tube on tubeless tires by the same mechanic.
I'm no tire guy but that don't sound right to me.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I'm no tire guy but that don't sound right to me.
I had to run a tube in mine because its a spoke wheel although the tire says tubeless.Tube in it straight from the factory.Im not exactly sure on a mag wheel.The above post is just something i was reading.The way everyone talks its ok to run tubes in any of them.
Even with tires that say tubeless, they are meant to be run with tubes if you run them on spoked wheels or old mags that need tubes.It just depends on the wheel.Also if its porous aluminum the air will actually seep out of the metal in time without a tube.Basically Tubeless tires require a special bead seat, because the beads have to form an airtight seal on the rim. Not all cast wheels, aluminum or magnesium, are suitable for tubeless tire fitment. Do not mount tires without tubes, unless the wheel manufacturer recommends it.
But almost all newer tires will say tubeless even though you may still have to use a tube.

Last edited by woodsytattooman; 08-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Tangle Eye
Advanced

Yes - you can run tubes in tubeless tires. That wasn't really my question though. I assume the HD Slotted 6 Spoke wheel (Part 44055-07) is designed for tubeless tires. Maybe that is the first question:

1 - Is the HD Slotted 6 Spoke wheel (Part 44055-07) designed for tubeless tires?
2 - Are the Dunlop GT502F 80/90-21 or the Michelin Commander MH90-21 tires designed to be run tubeless on a rim that is designed to be tubeless?
3 - Is the combination of the HD Slotted 6 Spoke wheel and the Dunlop GT502F 80/90-21 or the Michelin Commander MH90-21 tire designed to be tubeless?

My goal is a cast wheel and a tubless tire on the front of the Sportster.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree and know for sure that you can run tubes in tubeless tires... this i know from my tractors. i have always put tubes inside my tubeless tires whenever i get a flat on the tractor. once i have put a tube in i rarely get flats.
my front tire has been giving me problems lately (actually its been the valve) so i have thought a lot about it- my conclusion is thats one part of the bike that no one should take short cuts on!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Maybe it's motorcycle radial tires that I'm thinking you can't put tubes in, not sure.
The idea of a tire shifting on the wheel and suddenly letting all the air out certainly seems a bit far fetched to me.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Tangle Eye, you asked us a question that nobody has directly answered yet. You can go to any tyre manufacturer's website and expect to see the answers you want.

While I agree a tube can be installed in a tubeless tyre I can see no point doing that on a cast wheel, except as a short-term repair of a puncture. I bought my Glide new 21 years ago and it is not my first bike with cast wheels, but I have never needed to do it.

If you are buying cast wheels IMHO you should use tubeless tyres. Hope that helps!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Tangle Eye
Advanced

I got my answer from my HD dealer this morning - they are closed on Monday so I couldn't ask yesterday. That wheel and tire combination are indeed tubeless.

thanks for the replies.