Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding another to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 PM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
My Sportster is my sport bike, but I've kicked around the idea of a Suzuki SV 650S, or a DRZ400 (with and/or without supermoto tires), or a Kawasaki ZR-7S. A new Triumph Sprint GT or Street Triple wouldn't suck. Maybe a new Honda CBR250. The list goes on forever. The thing is, I only want to buy another bike, not sell one. Perhaps a used XR1200, or a bagger...
The more I look into this, I'm finding out that there are so many options out there making this an extremely difficult task!

One thing I know for sure though is I'm not selling the N to purchase another bike. I'm adding to the collection and it seems a lot of people regret selling their bikes that they've grown to love.

I considered the XR1200 for a bit and although it's slightly a different animal, at the end of the day, it's another Sporty so probably not going that route. Maybe for my 5th bike?!?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^having too many good options is a good thing. have fun with the purcahse man just let us all know what you decide on. be excited....B, E excited (lol).

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go drive a VROD. It might change your mind about another Harley. I have a Sporty and a VROD - the rod is a super fast, comfortble cruiser. I've ridden friends' crotch rockets - and of course they are the ultimate in performance but they're unrideable as a tourer/cruiser. The vrod is heavy enough to be extremely comfortable (night and day compared to the sportster), and fast enough to be really, really fun.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by schwingding
Go drive a VROD. It might change your mind about another Harley. I have a Sporty and a VROD - the rod is a super fast, comfortble cruiser. I've ridden friends' crotch rockets - and of course they are the ultimate in performance but they're unrideable as a tourer/cruiser. The vrod is heavy enough to be extremely comfortable (night and day compared to the sportster), and fast enough to be really, really fun.
I'll keep an open mind...although my main purpose of the 2nd bike is for something fun in the twisties and I wouldn't be able to really test that during a test ride near where I live.

I can't imagine the V-Rod being more nimble than the Sporty. Have you been in the mountains with the V-Rod? How does it handle compared to the Sporty?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbyun
I'll keep an open mind...although my main purpose of the 2nd bike is for something fun in the twisties and I wouldn't be able to really test that during a test ride near where I live.

I can't imagine the V-Rod being more nimble than the Sporty. Have you been in the mountains with the V-Rod? How does it handle compared to the Sporty?
I've seen some guys with VRods down on the Tail of the Dragon do some pretty impressive riding, but I talked to two of them after at the crossroads and both had massively upgraded their suspension.

I think those bikes (like the Yamaha Warrior I used to have) are capable of some pretty spirited riding.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbyun

Oh no, it's not nearly as nimble, for example I do trail behind my sporty riding girlfriend when she gets on it in a twisty, but i can easily catch and pass her before braking for the next one. What it lacks in 20-20mph turns it more than makes up for in giant grin inspiring HOLY_FUG!!!!! corner hugging speed between 50-100mph. If you have higher speed roads in your neck you'll be regularly waiting up for your buddies.

However - I have both - a sportster and a vrod, and I'll choose the vrod in every case. Just go give one a ride.

I have upgraded the suspension in the rod's rear, and really haven't noticed a difference, but I'm about to do something to the front, too.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Mr. Root Beer
Advanced

Might I suggest you look at the Street Rod? Plenty of power, 40 degrees of lean, and a decent riding position.