Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike died, no electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Another possibility is the Maxi-Fuse. They often build up corrosion and begin to loose proper contact. When this happens, it will be sporadic at first. Just check the maxi-fuse, and if needed do the same that that was suggested with the battery cable and battery posts.

Better yet, just replace the fuse. Can get them at any auto parts store for just a couple of bucks. Come to think of it, I think the bike comes with an extra maxi-fuse.
Good point about the Maxi Fuse. I have become a big believer in the dielectric grease and the Maxi Fuse is a good candidate. Just "a little dab'll do 'ya"!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put about 300 miles on it and no problems since cleaning the cables. When I put it up for winter (coming soon here in Indiana) I will probably go ahead and check the fuse and relays and use dielectric grease on them just to be on the safe side, it's only got about 36,000 miles on it. Thanks for all the input.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jrat69
Put about 300 miles on it and no problems since cleaning the cables. When I put it up for winter (coming soon here in Indiana) I will probably go ahead and check the fuse and relays and use dielectric grease on them just to be on the safe side, it's only got about 36,000 miles on it. Thanks for all the input.
"Put about 300 miles on it and no problems since cleaning the cables", sounds good to me! Glad to hear that seems to be working out for you. Adding the dielectric grease to the electrical component contact points that can corrode is not a bad idea.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 PM
A Seabee
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper26
"Put about 300 miles on it and no problems since cleaning the cables", sounds good to me! Glad to hear that seems to be working out for you. Adding the dielectric grease to the electrical component contact points that can corrode is not a bad idea.
+1, the dielectric grease also keeps moisture out of the connections. Another great trick i've found is to seal battery cable connections with this stuff, it doesn't stay wet like battery terminal protector (in a similar can) it dries like a shellac or varnish in a couple of days, and keeps air and moisture out.

Attached Thumbnails Bike died, no electrical power-41q7ntnbhll._sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM
cutman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that ground battery cable is the culprit of alotta isues,and it was mine too. maybe now i can ride 10 miles without my bike shutting off 3 times.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Had this happen to me this morning. Just split second total power loss. Glance at the speedo to see it heading south, then it bounced back into life as the bike did. Rest of the journey was uneventful, well apart from a strong gust of wind and a lady's skirt but thats for another forum/thread! Will go over my connections at the weekend...

Old 07-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Did it again on the way home. My bike hits some vibration just after 70mph and seemed to bring it on. So I went for the same vibration in a lower gear and it kicked in again. Oh well, back on the scooter tomorrow and spanner time at the weekend. Battery terminals and earth points right? Anywhere else I should be targeting?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Easy fix, loose battery earth terminal. Not even finger tight either. Surprised I didnt have more problems given how loose it was?

Old 07-24-2017, 01:45 AM
Avongugg
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead 2003 FXST

Interestingly enough, I rode home on a long trip with what I thought was a weak battery as it hesitated to start and after sitting overnight the motorcycle was dead, it would go into accessory mode but nothing on start mode, I took the seat off and tested the battery and it read 12.5 volts, I had ordered a new battery so I replaced it and the bike revived, back like new. I did my yearly maintenance and changed all the oils, I only ride about 1,000 miles per year so the synthetic oil wasn't very dirty.

The old battery, a Chrome Battery model 20HL-BS tested at 14 volts after a charge so I do believe the problem was my corroded positive battery terminal. The battery was almost exactly 5 years old so I had an exact replacement waiting on hand. I'll be passing the old battery along to someone in need for a few bucks.

it was this thread that helped me look for poor connections, I have had great reliability on my FXST, all except the fuel gauge... the float inside gets bent up over time giving false readings, I just rely on my trip meter and fuel up every 150 miles.

Sorry for the rambling.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:14 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Avongugg
Interestingly enough, I rode home on a long trip with what I thought was a weak battery as it hesitated to start and after sitting overnight the motorcycle was dead, it would go into accessory mode but nothing on start mode, I took the seat off and tested the battery and it read 12.5 volts, I had ordered a new battery so I replaced it and the bike revived, back like new. I did my yearly maintenance and changed all the oils, I only ride about 1,000 miles per year so the synthetic oil wasn't very dirty.

The old battery, a Chrome Battery model 20HL-BS tested at 14 volts after a charge so I do believe the problem was my corroded positive battery terminal. The battery was almost exactly 5 years old so I had an exact replacement waiting on hand. I'll be passing the old battery along to someone in need for a few bucks.

it was this thread that helped me look for poor connections, I have had great reliability on my FXST, all except the fuel gauge... the float inside gets bent up over time giving false readings, I just rely on my trip meter and fuel up every 150 miles.

Sorry for the rambling.
You joined HD Forums in 2013 and you've posted 4 times, I think you're entitled to ramble a bit.