Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 AM
scaldwellk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my my my. That looks so damn good.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Celebrating tonight! I picked up two boxes of finished parts after work, AND tomorrow, they tell me, they will have the frame and the few remaining parts all done. I am, to say the least, stoked.

The parts look awesome. I unwrapped everything, just to be sure. The powder coat is gorgeous. Almost too gorgeous. I'll probably cry or kill something the first time I scratch it. But that's inevitable because I'm gonna ride this thing so I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Here are some pics of the pieces layed out on the bench. Chopped sproket cover, primary cover, chopped cam cover and the upper and lower rocker covers.:

I had them do several of the exposed bolt heads...trying to black out as much as possible. Swing arm bolts, stem bolt, fork caps, brake rotor mounting bolts, rear sprocket bolts and a few other odds and ends.

And I was so stoked that even though I had no time tonight, I quickly threw the primary on the newly painted motor, no gaskets and only a few bolts just to see it and take some pics. I am really pleased with the way it looks. Again, the flat black really does look black and not grey as in these pics.

So tomorrow I pick up the frame and the few remaining parts after work and unless something comes up at the office I'm gonna take Wednesday off and start putting things back together. I can't wait until the weekend to get started.

The real fun is about to begin...
sweet ergo! good thinking with the bolts and they did a good job on those also!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rickss69
Oh, it looks like Christmas Ergo! I like shiney things.
It really is shiney stuff. They did a beautiful job. Can't wait to see the frame...

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ergonight
It really is shiney stuff. They did a beautiful job. Can't wait to see the frame...
It really is amazing how far powder coating has come the past few years. I've even seem some bikes that the tank and tins were powdered, with metal flake and graphics even. Looks good man.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by J3r3myC0x
Consider me another absolutely amazed subscriber to this masterpiece of a build thread. I've just spent the last 4 hours reading and admiring everything.

Your son in law is an artist and you're an inspiration. I too recently purchased a Nightster and am completely jealous of the availability of tools and creative genius you have at close support. I'll be looking forward to your future posts and doing as much as I am able to my ride without complete tear down.
Congrats on the progress thus far.
Thanks very much Jeremy. I really appreciate that.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by scaldwellk
Oh my my my. That looks so damn good.

Thanks scald!

Originally Posted by bmxatv
sweet ergo! good thinking with the bolts and they did a good job on those also!

Ya man, the bolts came out great, just like everything else so far. They had to redo one of the fork tubes from the first round a couple of months ago. It had some small bubbles that I didn't notice right away, but they took it back and redid it for this round and it looks great.

Originally Posted by guitarman023
It really is amazing how far powder coating has come the past few years. I've even seem some bikes that the tank and tins were powdered, with metal flake and graphics even. Looks good man.
Thanks GM!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wager you didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night Ergo. Looking forward to your progress.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wander
I wager you didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night Ergo. Looking forward to your progress.
lol!! Good guess Wander.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 AM
doobs48
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell yeah.. The light at the end of the tunnel is starting to shine. If I'm this excited to see pics of this build I can't imagine how you must feel ergo.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ergo: I hardly ever venture away from the softail threads, boy am I gald I did! This is the best thread I've read on this forum. As others have stated, the work you and your son-in-law did is over the top incredible. Additionally, the illustration and pictures you took to document the process makes this all the better. My sincerest wishes that you enjoy and ride the heck out of that bad *** ride! Congrats!!

**One minor question: As a fellow New Yorker (Buffalo area), I'm curious how you're going to pass inspection without a front fender? I also ride fenderless, until inspection. Then I slap mine on. What will you do?

***I hope your summer plans involve a trip to Buffalo, I'd love to see that bike in person. Take care.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover