Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To windshield or not & if so which

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
JAT
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To windshield or not & if so which

Greetings. First bike in many years. 1200 Custom. Going to Sturgis early June with some guys and they recommend a windshield. We're driving straight out, so about 12 hours. A windshield makes sense to me, what say you?

And for those that like 'em, could you comment on what works, or doesn't. Such as the short, sport bike style. Do they get the wind over your head enough to reduce fatigue from fighting the wind? Or is it full size or nothing?

Much Appreciated!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the detachable HD version for mine when I had the bike and it worked great. Good luck with your 1200C -- nice bike.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 PM
fxdbobby
Novice

I have a love/hate relationship with windshields, but the pro's out way the con's for me. After experimenting with different size shields over the years, I like my 14 inch HD shield. It takes all the pressure off of my chest but I can completely see over it so it's not in my face. I recently removed the visor from my half helmet to reduce the buffeting I was getting. It's WAY better now. I also like the HD shield because it has room for a windshield bag. More storage is always a plus for me. Oh yeah, and get detachable so you can pop it off when you want.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

I had a Windvest on my Night Train. It's just the right size; big enough to reduce fatigue on long days without looking stodgy.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You're going love the Custom!

I don't like the look of windshields. I thought about getting one though for long trips. Then I searched these forums and read alot about buffeting being worse with the windshield, especially for tall people like me. The air comes over the top of the windshield and hits you right in the face. So it gave me a reason to stick to my guns and keep the shield off the bike. Try doing a search and see what conclusions you come to. You'll read alot of people buying then, cutting them down and then just taking them off.

Other people swear by windshields for cold weather. I use a fullface helmet and leathers instead. It was 36 when I left on my ride this morning and I never wished I had a windshield.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Actually, there is some turbulence that causes buffeting. I got rid of it by tilting the windshield backwards, this resulted in turbulence moving behind my head, actually hitting Wife when riding two-up.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first road trip was only 200 miles, but i was going north and into a headwind without a shield. my helmet had a visor that i did pull down, but the wind was strong enough that my head was bobbing and my neck was plenty sore when i got to my destination. that trip caused me to buy the removable moco shield (cause i dont really like the looks for around town). it is an easy on/ off shield. it is better than no shield, but the top of it is pretty much exactly at my eye level, so i find that i have to either lean down or up to see really well. i dont love that part and would prefer a bit more shield for when i need one. however, it is better than none when there is some wind and i have to be on the big road-

and if you would like a pic of the removable one, its here:

Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
... and I never wished I had a windshield.
X2
You'll probably be leaning back on a pack. Ear plugs will help you more than a windshield.
I've tried a few windshields on a handful of bikes. I've decided that they don't feel natural. Like a condom. Some people love a windshield and God bless 'em, but they're not for everyone.
Detachable buffeting device:

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 12-03-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

There are lots of pros and cons, here's my pro's...deflects flying dbris (I don't like rocks bouncing off me), deflects dive-bombing birds...(no, really), collects bugs like you wouldn't believe, along with my helmet visor, takes the pressure off on long rides (I've done 600 mile+ rides at a shot) and helps keep the rain off ya. At my age (61), comfort is more important than looks; but, I like the way it looks. HD-QD 18" shield.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I've had see over and see through shields, have a small handlebar/fork mount see over on my Sportster. The see overs are, as a previous post said, buffeting devices, but do reduce the wind load on your body. Your eyesight may blur from vibration; hit violent winds on my last hours long ride and my vision blurred so bad a few times I wondered if that could detach a cornea. Didn't have a full face helmet, that helps a lot. The only con I have for see throughs is night time glare. Keeping the shield waxed (good auto wax) really helps keep the shield clear of nighttime glare. Some handlebar mounted shields will give you really undesireable wind feedback; experienced that with one of those small fairings with square headlight popular on Hondas back in the early 80's; took it off and the bike handled fine. Haven't heard of any Harley shield doing that. Even when the wind was shaking my head side to side, it didn't seem to affect the bike.

Quick Reply: To windshield or not & if so which