Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with a bruning question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Krowbar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a bruning question!

First off hello! New to the site. Have owned my Harley (72 Glide, rebuilt ground up, 3k miles on new motor) for about 6 months and contemplated joining this site. Winter weather set in here in Nor Cal and don't ride as much.

My question is, I have a really nice bike already. I was thinking of selling it to put towards something new and more reliable, still a Harley. This guy wants to trade me a 98 sportster with 18000 miles and a few extra's including new paint and a 2003 Kawasaki z1000 with 10,000mi (which I will sell immediately for about 4-5 grand). My Shovelhead is beautiful, horrible gas mileage, takes forever to start sometimes and you have to constantly play with the choke to keep it running on rides. Also recently, it misfires under a load. Never at idle. Wonder if it is just fouled plugs. Less than 200 miles on these plugs.

Should I make the trade? Value wise, am I getting the better deal or not? Also, within the community and a advent rider, would it be better to keep my classic glide?

Please share your thoughts!

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails New member with a bruning question!-hog-3.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

what is the cash value of your bike? you could trade, sell the kawi and buy another harley and have TWO HARLEYS!!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Krowbar
Banned

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
what is the cash value of your bike? you could trade, sell the kawi and buy another harley and have TWO HARLEYS!!!!
I really don't know how much my glide is worth. I see them sell between 6 and 13 grand... I just don't want to regret it as I feel like a sportster doesn't carry the same weight in the community... but reliability is an issue. I also have a 07 GSXR 750 for commute too. I would def just sell the Kawi...

Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Krowbar
...a sportster doesn't carry the same weight in the community...
The Harley Sportster has been around since 1956. It carries the most weight in the community.

Make sure that sportster runs well and make the trade.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Krowbar
Banned

Originally Posted by GWinkleman
The Harley Sportster has been around since 1956. It carries the most weight in the community.

Make sure that sportster runs well and make the trade.
You would chose a clean (well pictures look like it) 98 Sportster over a clean 72 glide?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Krowbar
You would chose a clean (well pictures look like it) 98 Sportster over a clean 72 glide?
I'm partial to the sporty. When I was walking through the showroom it didn't matter that the engine was 883cc or that it was the cheapest bike. The Iron sank its talons into me and I was hooked. Go to a dealership and see if they'll let you ride a sporty. Sporties are much different than glides. I won't say that one bike is better than any other but if I were in your shoes I would make the trade.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM
TheGarbon
Cruiser

I would keep the Glide and if I felt the need for another bike buy a sporty on the cheap even if I have to wait and save a bit. If it was a newer bike that you could find one ebay any day of the week I would say sell, but its a 72. In ten years it will be a 50 year old scoot, very cool.

Old stuff rocks..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Krowbar
Banned

Originally Posted by TheGarbon
I would keep the Glide and if I felt the need for another bike buy a sporty on the cheap even if I have to wait and save a bit. If it was a newer bike that you could find one ebay any day of the week I would say sell, but its a 72. In ten years it will be a 50 year old scoot, very cool.

Old stuff rocks..
yeah that is where I am at. Will I regret it? haha I didn't do any of the work to it my self and would think down the road I would like to find a beater shovelhead and work on it. Just thinking about being a broke college student next year!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts

I bought a '72 Glide new. I regret that I don't have it now.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 PM
last12know
Road Master

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i'd keep the '72.

Quick Reply: New member with a bruning question!