Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you sport a backpack?
Hell Yes!
70.56%
Damn No!
20.30%
Ghey
5.08%
Tshuper Ghey
4.06%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Backpacks

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backpacks

Anyone use a backpack for cargo? I don't want to add anything to the bike other than the fork bag, but found myself needing more room several times in the 350 mi. I put on it since getting it last fall. Their not really my style, but neither are leather bags. The ol lady got me a badass Maxpedition Condor II for Christmas that I just got all rigged up with holster, phone holder, etc.

Last fall it seemed like an awesome idea, but I'm wondering how willing I'll be to strap it on this summer. I rarely even wear a t-shirt if it's above 60 and wouldn't be surprised if I didn't ride that way a few times as well. That reminds me, wtf am I going to do about pants? I NEVER wear long legged pants in the summer, but I can't see pulling off shorts on the bike with the nut conditioner blowing at 75 mph. The only zip off legs I'm cool with are my freestyle motocross pants which I wouldn't wear on the street.

I've only done about 5k mi. on the street in total and since it was a 79 KZ bucket, the shorts weren't really out of place and of course had mid controls. My Nightster has extended forwards. I may as well put a speedo on now to get use to it. :X

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Wear what you're comfortable with. Personally, if I'm going on an extended ride, I prefer to have my arms and legs covered for protection from the sun. But I also love riding around in t-shirts. I've never been a shorts kinda guy.

As for bags, I wear this (without the extra pouches):

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

i only use my backback when I go to work. I have a fulmer v2 helmet that has that goggle strap on the back, sometimes the top handle/strap on the backpack will get caught on the goggle strap and I cant move my head up, down, left, or right, It sucks.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:44 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't imagine riding around with a bag on my back, so I took a different route. I put a small Motherwell luggage rack on the bike and use a Rolie bag from Wolfman Luggage to carry items as needed.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I do a daily 40 mile round-trip commute with a The North Face "Recon" backpack. Light load with a laptop and my lunch. I would not go much further with it, because even that light load pulls on my shoulders.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use whatever I gotta,to carry whatever I need. I will use one if I have too but I usually bungee everything to the bike. I put the bitch bar back in for such occasions

Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same position and didn't want to add any other bags besides my solo bag and fork bag but needed a place to put stuff. I picked up the Ogio backpack from the local CycleGear on sale for $20 about a year ago and have been happy with it. I use it quite often. It has a chest strap on it and doesn't stick out past my sides and stays secure and doesn't move or catch any air. It has pouches on the side that I'll sometimes stick a water bottle in if I'm going to be riding for a while that way I can reach back and grab it without having to stop. I used to use it for a 40 mile commute to and from school with about 30lbs of books in it with no problems.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using a backpack for a while now. It's ok in a pinch but it's also the reason why I'm looking at some sort of storage option that I can put on the bike (sissy bar, rack, etc.). The backpack is nice in a pinch (plus I didn't have to spend any money as I had a nice Dakine pack from my backcountry snowboarding days) but I think having something off the back that could be bungeed / strapped down is a better option. My $.02 at least.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping the chest / cross strap keeps it from pulling too much, and it's a small pack for being something like 1900 cu/in. (expands to be pretty deep) It also has a hidden compartment that houses a 100 oz Camelback bladder (already had one) and / or a universal pistol holster & (3) mag. holder.

I think with my riding pos. and the sissy bar, it will work well 2-up as well. I wanted Foliage Green, but they were way back ordered so she got black...might get warm.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm too old for a backpack. Damn, that would kill me. I have a good travel bag set for the Sporty when I travel on that bike.

Quick Reply: Backpacks