Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer instilled Paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM
dmooth
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer instilled Paranoia

Visited my local dealer today for a "Performance Seminar". I was curious about their take on Free flow pipes, and Air filters. I'm running Vance and Hines straight shots, and the infamous Mreed small cheap air filter, along with Nightster Vied's.

They poo poo'd all the add on fuel management systems from the Cobra's and power commanders, all the way down to the fuel packs. Their reasoning was anytime you are adding an electronic device you are open to the possibility of component failure, and connection corrosion.

I asked them what they recommended if you are opening up your engine breathing with pipes, and a full flow air filter. Of course their answer was their Super Tuner and three hours on the Dyno, stating fuel mixture and heat problems if you did not do it, costing close to a grand for their service.
So on the way home, I'm all worried and caught up in the sales pitch (which was all it was), but still. As soon as I get home I pull my plugs, 'cause I'm all paranoid, and they look great, just as they have all summer, nice light tan coloring.

I have run my bike all season with the current set-up and have had no problems.

I guess my question is this. Should I get sucked into the whole dyno tuner thing how and will the performance of the bike be affected? Is the end result really worth dropping that much coin? Will there be a really noticeable performance change? I certainly noticed a difference just doing the breather, and pipes I've done myself. Am I being preyed upon by the dealer speak? Next will be Cams, Heads, Pistons, etc...

Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a big NO! I did the same seminar last year at my dealer. I told them I was putting shorty pipes with no oxygen sensors and a Power Commander V tuner kit on my 48 along with the RSD filter. They said I couldn't run my bike with out O2 sensors and the PCV would not work. They said I had to have O2's installed and baffles and run the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner and nothing else. Well I did not listen to them and now have over 6500 miles on my bike with no O2 sensors, no baffles, and the PCV and have had no issues.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The parts guy at my dealer said I would fry my motor if I ran my pipes without their download. I just smiled and went straight home and ordered my X14iEds

Old 01-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Clintonaldo
6th Gear

I just posted something song the same line about getting stuff done at the dealership. They are high pressure on the service but I guess you have to pay for the nice big building somehow.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM
NI-STER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clintonaldo
I just posted something song the same line about getting stuff done at the dealership. They are high pressure on the service but I guess you have to pay for the nice big building somehow.
BINGO!!!

There are lots of good tuners out there (some better than others) but the dealers are all about selling Harley branded products. It's no different than the Ford sales guy telling you that GMs are crap and you will have nothing but problems......blah, blah, blah.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

The dealer is going to try and get you to buy Harley and nothing but Harley. That's how they make their money.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Some dealers act like you are riding their motorcycles. The last time I checked my name was on the title and I could give two ***** what some clown behind the parts counter was told to say. I am running full exhaust, Velociraptor air cleaner and a Cobra Power Pro...I stopped at StPaul HD the other day on my bike when it was 49 degrees out and a sales person saw everything and said good for you, not letting service bully you into screamin eagle stuff.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

My local HD dealer actually refuses to tune any bikes that don't use the SE product. Check around for a good tuner in your area or use one of the many fine auto-tune units on the market. the only disadvantage to an EFI box is that if they go bad you have to buy another. Im not too concerned about it I use an auto tune EFI box and do just fine. the bike runs great.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And my local dealer told me that the Dunlop's are the best tires I could put on my Sporty...

Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I highly recommend going by others' experience here on the threads with products. For obvious reasons, the dealer is quite narrow minded.....their way and anything else is wrong. I've always asked questions, taken advice, read up on products pros and cons, and then made my own decision based upon my research and I haven't had anything go wrong yet, with not only Harleys, but any motor I have ever built. Bottom line is read your spark plugs. The proof is right there...too fat, black, too lean, grey....it will all show right there. Good luck and ask a lot of questions here....this place is great!!!

Quick Reply: Dealer instilled Paranoia