Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperLow Owners Meeting Place!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask the mechanic why. It could be that there is the start of dry rot. Without seeing it, I can't say but it is possible but not very likely for such a new machine. It isn't always thread.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Cool

Hi Joan, haven't replaced mine yet, but I don't do many miles on that bike. Mileage is very difficult to judge. If you ride everywhere on the ragged edge you will get fewer miles than me!

On the other hand there are other indicators than tread depth. There may well come a time when, despite the pressures being correct, your bike no longer feels just right. That is the time to change.

So you need to balance what your dealer and husband tell you with what you experience yourself. If you get to the point when there is no central tread left, then you know you left things a little late!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
NowgFstCat
Tourer

I had to change my tires last fall. I was in for my 10k service so it was probably 10,500 or so. Rear tire was at a 1 front was at a 2. I had them both changed. Bike felt much better with new rubber . Hope this helps

Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get around 10,000 on a rear and 20,000 on a front. We ride a lot of hwy so they get flat in the middle more than anything. Thats also what i get out of my softail bike as well so we just get them changed at the same time.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM
JTimes
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. My husband was thinking that I should get more than 7500 miles on the rear tire too. He always makes sure that all of our bikes are in tip-top riding condition before we take off, so I'm leaning more on his opinion than that of the guy at the dealer, but I will probably have the service guy show me what he is referring to the next time I am there. Also, I will pay more attention while riding to see if it does feel or handle differently.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by JTimes
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. My husband was thinking that I should get more than 7500 miles on the rear tire too. He always makes sure that all of our bikes are in tip-top riding condition before we take off, so I'm leaning more on his opinion than that of the guy at the dealer, but I will probably have the service guy show me what he is referring to the next time I am there. Also, I will pay more attention while riding to see if it does feel or handle differently.
I'd rather you check it out NOW. Dad had a Buick that he bought new, never left it outside, etc, etc. Ten years later, we felt a bumping while driving. Couldn't see anything. Suggested he switch tires to see if it would move to the front. He told me there was plenty of thread and the tire was still good. On the way home, it blew out and took out the fender. Luckily for him, he was at a low speed. Thing is the tire can be bad from all sorts of things and without knowing why that guy said what he said, you cannot be sure of your judgment. Ask him NOW. If you blow out a tire, it could be bad.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Joan, another thought is that if you have a long trip planned, and a tyre is low, replace it in plenty of time before you set off. A well worn tyre is more likely to puncture and it is not worth squeezing those last few miles out, or having to change while on the road. We are planning a 6k trip and will have new tyres, despite the current ones being part worn.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
JTimes
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not able to take the bike back over there right now...will probably be Monday, but I won't be riding it until then. Maybe I wear tires out faster due to the way I ride? Not really sure, but do want to know his opinion and I don't want to have a blow-out. I know that would be really bad. We have a trip planned to Dallas the first of March for H.O.G. (HOT) training for our chapter, so definitely want it taken care of before then.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
lil' red
Novice

Hi all! technically, mine isnt a 'super low' but its a 'low' thats been slammed (burly shocks front & rear) so she sits really low to the ground

Has anyone put the fat tire conversion on their bike? & if yes, what kit did you use?
Just wondering how difficult it would be with a bike that sits so low.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Tony in Glendale
Novice

Quick question on the Superlow, is the mid-mount footpeg bracket different from that of other Sportsters, or is the difference all in the dog-leg footpeg itself? Thanks!

Quick Reply: SuperLow Owners Meeting Place!