Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jigsaw to cut rear fender?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:32 AM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jigsaw to cut rear fender?

I screwed up my stock fender on my 48 & ordered another 1. I'm wanting to cut about 2.5-3" off it before I have it painted. I want it to have the same contour as it is from the factory, just shorter. I tried cutting my old fender w/a Dremel & a 4" cut-off wheel on a grinder. The Dremel made a nice straight cut but I can't make a radius w/it. The grinder was a mess! So can I use a metal blade in a jigsaw to cut rear fender or will it bounce all over the place? Thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, a fine blade in your jig saw will work ... that is what I used to cut my fender. After removing the fender and drinking a beer I cut the frame rails, then reinstalled the fender. I wrapped the fender with blue painters tape, created a template and traced out what I wanted. Drank a second beer and let the jig saw rip !!

Attached Thumbnails Jigsaw to cut rear fender?-883-sportster-project-fender.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used an airsaw. It's really not that difficult.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:58 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Yes, a fine blade in your jig saw will work ... that is what I used to cut my fender. After removing the fender and drinking a beer I cut the frame rails, then reinstalled the fender. I wrapped the fender with blue painters tape, created a template and traced out what I wanted. Drank a second beer and let the jig saw rip !!
FYI - You will need to raise the rear of your bike to clear the saw blade. I removed my rear wheel. Bolting the fender on the bike is a good way to keep it steady while cutting vs. getting someone to hold it for you.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the long route due to most of my tools being in storage at the time but it turned out fine...I taped off the area, used a hacksaw and cleaned up everything with some metal files. It turned out pretty well. I'll post a picture soon.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's a 2 beer job. Got it!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 PM
MaTcheS
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried a jig and after bending three blades, switched to a circle grinder. That made it a lot easier in my opinion.
+1 on the metal file to take the edges off.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a cool looking rear fender!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
That is a cool looking rear fender!!!!!!!

Thanks ... good to hear that you like. Hard to see in the pics, but the sides roll rearward with a sight radius along the top. I cut it that way to make the fender more interesting than a straight line from end to end.

Attached Thumbnails Jigsaw to cut rear fender?-883-sportster-project-rear-fender.jpg  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Brian Williamson
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I used a hacksaw to chop my fender 01 sporty

Good ol hacksaw worked for me

Quick Reply: Jigsaw to cut rear fender?