Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the Apes begin!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a few things to keep in mind;

Removing the pins for the wiring extensions is a PITA. Get the right tool for the job, learn to do it now in advance while you're waiting. I soldered in extensions instead of using theirs.

You can easily strip the threads from the primary cover when installing the new clutch cable. Many of us (self included) have done this. The threads are aluminum for cripe's sake!!!! If/when you do this, too you can use a time-sert, helicoil, or other thread repair system to fix it.

The entire change is about a day's job if you take your time. Worth it, but I found the 12's weren't quite tall enough for me, and I don't mind looking like a dick.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 AM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take your time with it....the instructions are pretty good...don't be in a rush. I found this on youtube when I was getting ready to do mine. He has a bunch of different videos that were pretty helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuAaI...eature=channel

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

I suggest running the wires thru the bars and then extend them, the factory wires will hang out about 2" without the extensions. It is easier and you don't have to worry about pulling anything loose.
The kit comes with a connector diagram for you to write the colors down. The extensions are not the factory colors so you will need to right down both colors to keep track.
All in all it is a great kit.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx schwingding. Are you referring removing the wires from the plugs to do the wire extensions? I was going to use needle nose pliers for this unless you can refer me to a better tool.
As far as the primary cover I use a torque wrench and follow the manual specs so I avoid stripping anything out. Works good for me. I do all my own services and would've screwed something up without my manual.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Look in the manual, it will tell you how to remove the connector terminals, just use a small paper clip instead of the terminal tool in the manual, needle noise wil be good to release the lock, paper clip for the terminal itself.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Right on Barrygreen. This is why I love this forum.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by odie-in-az
Thanx schwingding. Are you referring removing the wires from the plugs to do the wire extensions? I was going to use needle nose pliers for this unless you can refer me to a better tool.
As far as the primary cover I use a torque wrench and follow the manual specs so I avoid stripping anything out. Works good for me. I do all my own services and would've screwed something up without my manual.
Barry answered the question about the terminals but you can't get a torque wrench around that clutch cable where it goes into the housing. I'm telling you, MANY of us have screwed that up! It'll strip way before you think you've reached "overtight". Terrible design job to thread right into the soft aluminum housing. After I screwed it up and put the helicoil insert in to fix it, it'll never strip again. Cheap engineering!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by schwingding
Barry answered the question about the terminals but you can't get a torque wrench around that clutch cable where it goes into the housing. I'm telling you, MANY of us have screwed that up! It'll strip way before you think you've reached "overtight". Terrible design job to thread right into the soft aluminum housing. After I screwed it up and put the helicoil insert in to fix it, it'll never strip again. Cheap engineering!
My bad. I though you were referring to the primary cover. I know what you mean now and thanx for the heads-up. I removed my cable last night, using 9/16" wrench, and will keep this in mind as I install the new one. Thanx again!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by odie-in-az
My bad. I though you were referring to the primary cover. I know what you mean now and thanx for the heads-up. I removed my cable last night, using 9/16" wrench, and will keep this in mind as I install the new one. Thanx again!
No worries, bro. One other thing - you absolutely DO NOT need to remove the primary cover to replace the clutch cable, IF YOU ARE CAREFUL. You have to know ahead of time how it is all held together and that there are three ball bearings that you'll have to account for - the little mechanism that retains them can be removed and replaced intact, if you are careful, allowing you to remove the old cable and reinsert the new one, too. Saves having to drain the primary, remove the screws and a new gasket, too.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by schwingding
No worries, bro. One other thing - you absolutely DO NOT need to remove the primary cover to replace the clutch cable, IF YOU ARE CAREFUL. You have to know ahead of time how it is all held together and that there are three ball bearings that you'll have to account for - the little mechanism that retains them can be removed and replaced intact, if you are careful, allowing you to remove the old cable and reinsert the new one, too. Saves having to drain the primary, remove the screws and a new gasket, too.
Thanks. Too late for the cover though, I already removed it. I backed the slotted bolt, that adjust the clutch, all the way off and pulled out the retaining nut that hold the clutch together and removed the clutch cable end. I just need the new cable so I can install it. Already bought the new gasket. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Let the Apes begin!