Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike died while riding/fuel pump won't come on

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^have you checked any of the above bro? what you need to do is get a repair manual and some tools and start wrenchin on that thing yourself. this **** needs some patience and trust me, i AM the MOST impatient person EVER and it's taught me a thing or two about a thing or two. so where does the bike sit now? dealer? home? if it's home get your butt to the shop pick up a manual and diagnose that ****. if you have tried any of the above or all of it and it's at the dealer right now, make sure you get a good explanation out of them when it's fixed so you can avoid it next time if possible. good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check if there are any dtc

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 PM
br401k
Cruiser

negative side of the battery is loose, guaranteed.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:39 AM
vkleinstu
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's something electrical. the negative side of the battery being loose while possible is not likely. i tightened it down myself when i installed the new battery that the dealer gave me because they originally using the battery bracket bolt to tighten the negative side of the battery. i honestly didn't think to check that when it was broken down on the road. it is at the dealer right now. I really think there is an electrical short somewhere. the LP/directional relocation requires cutting, splicing and shrink wrapping the wires. I can guarantee the tech was in a hurry to get the job done because he knew he was only getting paid for 2.5 hours. how else do you explain the easy stuff that he messed up like the battery, retention washer and fender bolt? the sad thing is that i took it to the dealer to avoid something like this from happening, and it is exactly what happened. I should know more monday, as they will not be able to look at it over the weekend. today when they got it to start, they went to drive it up the service ramp and it died.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 AM
vkleinstu
Advanced

i doubt the dealer is gonna do it for free. every time i talk to them they keep blaming the fuelpak which is no longer connected. then today the service advisor started saying its probably an issue with my XIEDs, but he didn't even know what XIEDs were. man i hate these guys.

minotaur....lol i think you're right.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 AM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you tried replacing the system and fuel pump relays? Had the same type of issue on mine

Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 AM
vkleinstu
Advanced

No. I went back to the dealer today to see if they looked at it yet. I was tempted to do that, but they have my bike down in the service department. I was getting ready to go to parts and buy them and switch them out real quick, but I don't know if they will let me "work on my bike" while they have it. I should do that though. Problem is that it is intermittent. This morning, like I said, it started right up. Apparently later on when they tried to drive it up the service ramp it crapped out again. You think they will let me buy them and swap 'em out then go ride it around the parking lot and bring it back if that didn't fix it? I was also thinking about checking the battery cable, but that would be more intrusive work and I'm sure they would have a problem with that. I don't want to try to ride it home and have it die, then have to pay to tow it to the dealer again.

Last edited by vkleinstu; 03-31-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 AM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bad relays can cause intermittent problems. Mine was acting pretty much the same way as yours until one day going down the road it just died and never started again. Replaced fuel pump relay and was good for about a year then it went out again. I started carrying a spare one. Turns out its a pretty common problem. Its worth a shot to go to dealer and ask. They should let you, after all its your bike. New relays are like $11-12 at the dealer....

Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

+1 on the relays , Ive had a problem with my system relay sticking , which also meant the bike didn't start as normal , it turned over , but nothing else , i got fault codes with mine though , which pointed straight to this common fault , new relay fitted and hay presto , good as new ,
my bike is 1 year old with 2500 dry miles , which means the electrics on these bikes are **** ,
can you get fault codes up on you irons clock ?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 AM
vkleinstu
Advanced

i was reading a forum on how to find the fault codes on my phone when the bike broke down... needless to say i tried it and it didn't work. i don't to be honest i wasn't being the most patient at the time. i didn't try it again after that. i will try to go to the dealer tomorrow and see if i can get it to work. im just getting really impatient after the dealer told me they won't even be able to look at it until monday. was hoping to go for a ride this weekend.

btw, any idea what causes the relays to go out? just curious, bike is only 6 months old with 15xx miles on it. bum deal to have this problem so early on.

Quick Reply: Bike died while riding/fuel pump won't come on