Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike died while riding/fuel pump won't come on

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 AM
vkleinstu
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by almiami
So what is the dealer saying???
Here is what happened to me today. Iron 883 1000miles. Bike started to run slower at idle, felt like it was going to die, then battery light comes on with engine light had to turn around and start driving back before it dies on me.
I did ride it a couple of weeks ago under heavy rain.
bringing it in tomorrow...
yea, the running slower at idle definitely sounds familiar. mine was doing the same thing, except that it did stall. that was the beginning of the problem. now i am to the point where it just died on my the other day with the throttle open going 35-40 mph. needless to say, they did not look at it yet. called them and they said that they need to do the jobs that they had on the schedule first. now they are saying they will look at it tomorrow. we will see. sounds like you're having the problem that i had first though. are you running of the same mods? just curious. the problem seemed to have disappeared for a while when i disconnected the Fuelpak.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:24 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like something got seriously wet.....

Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 AM
almiami
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vkleinstu
yea, the running slower at idle definitely sounds familiar. mine was doing the same thing, except that it did stall. that was the beginning of the problem. now i am to the point where it just died on my the other day with the throttle open going 35-40 mph. needless to say, they did not look at it yet. called them and they said that they need to do the jobs that they had on the schedule first. now they are saying they will look at it tomorrow. we will see. sounds like you're having the problem that i had first though. are you running of the same mods? just curious. the problem seemed to have disappeared for a while when i disconnected the Fuelpak.
No Fuelpak . only small holes in the pipes.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 PM
vkleinstu
Advanced

When you drop it off I would have them check the wiring harness. Just spoke to my stealer 20 minutes ago. They spent 3 hours diagnosing it, and tracked it down to the main wiring harness. There is a short in one of the 60+ wires. They are calling corporate to try and authorize a full wiring harness swapout instead of tracking down which wire it is. My suspicions are just what they were from the beginning... That the technician that relocated my turn signals was in a hurry and clipped a wire/insulation that he wasn't supposed to, knowingly or not. They did not say that over the phone. In light of their complete lack of faith in my claims over the last several weeks, to now where they are simply telling me that it's a wiring issue within the harness, they know the F***ed it up. It is completely covered under warranty.

Good thing I didn't waste the time trying to figure it out myself, huh BMX?

Anyway, almiami hope yours is the same thing. Kind of sounds like it might be.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM
vkleinstu
Advanced

To add to the above and subract from what BMX is saying... I have gotten stuck in some really heavy rain on my bike in the past and never had any issues like this. Not saying that the water couldn't cause this, I'm only saying that same bike, same age, completely stock or not, I have have gotten caught in down poors. Most of the friends that I used to ride with all ride sport bikes and didn't care about the rain, so we would rarely stop. Never had any issues until this whole electrical fiasco came about. That being said, several people have had the water/corrosion issue with the relays, so I wouldn't rule that out either. But if your indicator lights are acting strangely, sounds like a grounding issue to me. That's my five cents or five pages from the Book of Eli. Thanks for playing.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
almiami
Intermediate

When you drop it off I would have them check the wiring harness. Just spoke to my stealer 20 minutes ago. They spent 3 hours diagnosing it, and tracked it down to the main wiring harness. There is a short in one of the 60+ wires. They are calling corporate to try and authorize a full wiring harness swapout instead of tracking down which wire it is. My suspicions are just what they were from the beginning... That the technician that relocated my turn signals was in a hurry and clipped a wire/insulation that he wasn't supposed to, knowingly or not. They did not say that over the phone. In light of their complete lack of faith in my claims over the last several weeks, to now where they are simply telling me that it's a wiring issue within the harness, they know the F***ed it up. It is completely covered under warranty.

just spoke to dealer, its a bad relay. will see ...

Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 528 Likes on 365 Posts

A real good tech would figure out the single source of that short instead of taking a shortcut and replacing the whole harness.

How is putting a new harness in going to help alleivate the problem? As far as they know, they might screw up putting in the new harness and creating more problems.

If the wire is shorted near the turn signals, then fix it right there instead of you waiting.

That is the stupidest tech in the world if they cant troubleshoot a short and fix it. I would never take it back to the dealership if someone is that lazy or stupid enough to make you wait so they can make more by replacing something that is as simple as a wire splice.

Take your bike back and fix it yourself if they are going to make you wait for a wire that has been shorted

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
vkleinstu
Advanced

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
A real good tech would figure out the single source of that short instead of taking a shortcut and replacing the whole harness.

How is putting a new harness in going to help alleivate the problem? As far as they know, they might screw up putting in the new harness and creating more problems.

If the wire is shorted near the turn signals, then fix it right there instead of you waiting.

That is the stupidest tech in the world if they cant troubleshoot a short and fix it. I would never take it back to the dealership if someone is that lazy or stupid enough to make you wait so they can make more by replacing something that is as simple as a wire splice.

Take your bike back and fix it yourself if they are going to make you wait for a wire that has been shorted
While I agree with you, it is covered under warranty. I don't have all of the necessary tools or experience to properly troubleshoot the problem. I fully intend not to take it back to that shop again. The shop that I am going to start taking it to did say that they would be more than happy to check it out, but if the problem was caused by something the other dealer did, I would have to pay out of pocket to fix it. I am a little concerned that they will perhaps screw something up... Hope not. Needless to say electrical work makes me nervous, which is why I took it to the dealer in the first place; and I didn't have the tools. I fully intend to write corporate Harley Davidson as well as speak to the service manager at the old shop (if he is ever there). Any further electrical issues I will just take to the new shop, and hopefully they will cover it. If not, I might get stuck paying out of pocket. Needless to say I have learned a good lesson from this, and in the future I will be doing as much work on my own as possible; which is what I had done up to this point.

About the location of the short... They said it is within a 12 inch section of wire. I know when they did the job they had to cut away the plastic that bundles all of the wires, so I'm not really sure where the short is without going there and looking myself. I will probably go up there first chance I get on Saturday and ask them to show me what they "discovered" so I can get a better idea of where it is. That being said, I want the new harness. At least I know that entire section of wiring will be brand new. Hopefully they don't screw something else up taking the bike apart to install it. Sigh...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM
vkleinstu
Advanced

they are not making any money off this. I am not paying them, it is covered under warranty, which is why I am letting them fix it.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Edgar436
2nd Gear
Default 883 Iron with P0562 code and other issues

Reading your post, for a similar issue, the engine light and battery light kicked on. Then the speedo when crazy, it lost power and the digital readout blinked in and out. Checked the codes and got the P0562, I checked the main ground to the engine and found it to be tight. However, I notice a nut with three ground wires just opposite the main ground (opposite the belt) that was ready to fall off. Must have been making intermittent contact causing the problem. Tightened it up and took it out for a 35 mile ride, no more lights or problems. Don't who put it together or didn't put it together but it is worth a look if you run into this issue.

Quick Reply: Bike died while riding/fuel pump won't come on