Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my bike but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM
ironraven
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love my bike but...

Anytime I need to go to the dealer for anything I want to sell the bike!

I have done all my own "wrenching" on the bike so far except the first change and now I am at 10,000 miles.
I went to the dealer to see about the 10k mile service... I do not have all the tools required for the lubing and replacing the fork oil and figured they have the plugs I need I would go see about the cost.

I use amsoil so I brought the right amount and the oil filter I also do not need a new air filter as I put a heavy breather on less than a month ago. I explained this too them and showed them the oil I brought.... cost

they asked 650 dollars!!! 650 gosh darn flippin dollars?!?!?!?!

I have owned several cars and several bikes my r1, cbr, or the r6 did not cost even a fraction of that and lets face it those machines are much more sophisticated than my sportster.

Yes I am mad yes I am venting.... do the dealerships think everyone is a oil tycoon with money to blow? seems they would do them selfs a favor with some competitive pricing. I would recommend my bike to anyone but then tell them the price they pay is only the start.

I'm sad because I love my bike on its own but "Harley" as a company and or entity makes me sick.

Sorry for the long rant this was just the final straw in a long list with dealership problems from the day I bought the bike.

Anyone know a good independent in the Orlando area?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Fork oil isn't until 20k on the sporty.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 AM
ahhwataday
Tourer

Thats nuts!!!

Guess you and I both should get the tools...I may have everything, What specialty tools do you need???

Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 AM
ironraven
Advanced

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
Fork oil isn't until 20k on the sporty.

^^ case in point.... they asume I dont know that and throw the price out there hopping I bite and then I am sure if I went back at 20k they would say I need it changed again.

Was riding to work this morning thinking about my original post and really enjoying the early ride and then.... like every morning I go right past a harley dealer and my mood went down.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM
ironraven
Advanced

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
Thats nuts!!!

Guess you and I both should get the tools...I may have everything, What specialty tools do you need???
yeah I will be looking into the tools and what all is needed....

the exhaust and bars and other parts I have put on were fun and sometimes challenging (see my post about the t-bars) but I had confidence I knew enough to take them on.

Anything with forks and or wheel placment balance makes me a bit nervous because mistakes in the garage can cost you on the highway.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Anything with forks and or wheel placment balance makes me a bit nervous because mistakes in the garage can cost you on the highway.
The only tricky thing is rear wheel alignment, and even if you get it wrong you can readjust it any time, finally you will get it right.
Go get the tools and leave that stealership alone.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my bike has still never been serviced by HD. it has 21,000 miles.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

Holy hell!! I had planned on letting the dealership do my 10 service mostly because I wanted one more service while the bike was still under warranty but that's insane ... I have all the tools but being my first Harley in not sure if everything is how it should be so I woulda liked having a 3rd party look it over ... O well not a chance in hell I'll pay that. !!!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 AM
ericsnow954
Intermediate

@IronRaven - where in Florida do you live? Lot's of indi-garages in south Florida - one we trust in Broward is Jamie @ White Knuckle Engines.

Keep Small Businesses Alive!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I took mine in a month before the warranty ran out. It was about time for a service anyway. I heard this dealership had a bad rep so I made a point to ask them how much before I left. $950! After I had several strokes and a mild heart attack I asked the chick why so much. She handed me a list 3 pages long of things they do at this stage. I also asked her how long before I can pick it up and she told me about 3 hours. I looked at the list she gave me and quickly figured out that there's no damned way they could do all that in 3 hours. I left and told her I was a little short of $950. Anyway I got home and figured out that at $950 minus the cost of materials that are marked up 300% that's like $250/hour! I'll never go back there again unless I need parts. I've done a lot of reading on subjects here posted by some pretty knowledgable guys and by now I'm very confident to say that if I need any work done that isn't a major rebuild I'll do it my damned self.

Quick Reply: I love my bike but...