Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To drop or air shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To drop or air shocks???

So Im stuck between dropping my Sporty using the Burly Slammer Kit or to put on some Air Shocks from a Road Glide.

Now I know most people would say "go with the drop kit for looks and air shocks for comfort" however, one more thing comes into play in making my decision.
Im only 5'6'', with the current stock shocks and badlander seat I can get my feet down on the ground but not entirely flat footed. When I have to adjust the preload on the shocks for a passanger its even harder to get flat footed on the ground. Yes this is a concern for me and which is why I am considering the Drop Kit.

I dont really care too much about the "slammed" look (yes it does look nice, but thats not why I want the drop kit), Im leaning more towards the Drop Kit because of safety, I would like to be flat footed when I come to a stop with or without a passenger.

If I manage to get 12'' air shocks, would that 1'' from stock make enough of a difference in my footing? If I drop it will it affect my turn clearance? I have forward controls on my sporty, not looking to go back to mids, Im pretty aggresive when I make my turns (I learned to ride on the road on a crotch rocket) and currently have never had a problem scrapping anything on a turn, would dropping the Sporty affect this much?

Need some advice from people that are using the Burly Shocks or have that Air Shocks on thier rides. Thanks

Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 05 custom and am only 5'7" to 5'8" myself. I loved the look of the slammed rear with the shocks but my wife couldn't ride more than a few miles and I always felt I was going to tear the tire or wiring inside the fender apart on the crappy roads here. Switched to air shocks (13 inch cause I'm cheap and could get brand new takeoffs for $50 on ebay just be patient). Remember the shocks don't sit on your bike straight up and down so if you go from 11.5 inch to 13 inch it doesn't actually raise you up 1.5 inches it'll be less. I totally agree with the security of being flat footed though so I would go air shocks (the ride is great), and get lowering blocks to drop it back down a bit. Tamaracks are around $80, or road 6 customs have some that have 3 holes for you to choose from to drop it 1-3" (again offset a bit due to angle) and those are on ebay for about $30 new. I would definately buy name brand lowering blocks not something made by somebody in their garage unless its yourself. You wouldn't want those failing on you.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So burly slammers $100 or road king shocks $50 + adjustable lowering block $30 (approx). You can be flat footed and not beat the hell outta yourself which I kinda like being used to military trucks lol.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
sport_d
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with 12" air shocks off a 2010 road glide (on 02 1200) and absolutely love them.

this is a great thread with a lot of helpful information:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nd-length.html

5 psi solo and 15 psi 2up treat me right...opted with 2 tank valves on each shock instead of air line kit.

either choice will be better than stock...my vote is for air shocks, look around on craigslist or ebay for stock take offs, was a huge improvement on my bike.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

burly slammers are the way to go.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd do any kind of drop kit or shorter stock type shocks before I'd put on a butt ugly set of air shocks. You can also just have your stock shocks shorten for $79 by Skullman, I've done this several times and it works.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I'd do any kind of drop kit or shorter stock type shocks before I'd put on a butt ugly set of air shocks. You can also just have your stock shocks shorten for $79 by Skullman, I've done this several times and it works.
I love my butt ugly air shocks. But then again, I did opt for a set of chrome shocks.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Slider2010
Advanced

Originally Posted by jjames
So burly slammers $100 or road king shocks $50 + adjustable lowering block $30 (approx). You can be flat footed and not beat the hell outta yourself which I kinda like being used to military trucks lol.
+1 on this... it is exactly what i did... got the Road King Shocks of Ebay and then picked up the Road 6 Custom lowering blocks... Couldnt be happier

Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM
grey dave
4th Gear

I put Burley kit on my 2012 1200C. Went on easy. I don't know how far off you are flat footing but replacing a 12" shock with 10.5" Burley gives you less than an inch of actual lowering. The Reduced reach seat is narrower which lets you put feet on ground easier and might also help. I found that the Burley's ride better than the stock and I'm over 200 lbs and was worried about bottoming out but that hasn't happened and I've hit some hellacious bumps. I put the front fork lowering kit in but did not trim the spacers because I actually liked the look of the higher front end.... if you trim the spacers per instructions you probably can get an inch of lowering.

Last edited by grey dave; 06-22-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Tripiii
Cruiser

I have the Burley slammers 10.5 on my roadster with stock length progressive springs in the forks. Love the stance and the lower seat. I also have forward controls and am just a little taller than the OP, but have shattered both hips, so I like the lower stance. I also like the ride, and so does my wife when she is behind me. And it handles better as well, a little slower to lean but much more stable on the high way and in the curves, due to the lower center of gravity. Had to get the 1" shorter kick stand.

Last edited by Tripiii; 06-22-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: To drop or air shocks???