Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
DougYITBOS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd really like to take the advanced course but you have to use your own bike for that ... And I sure as heck don't want to drop my new Harley.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
I'm going to take it soon myself.. in NC you can ride legally with a permit after just a written test, which is how I've been on the road.. taking the class exempts you from the (I hear ridiculously hard) skills test. I also sorta want to toy around on their little bikes.. I've never ridden anything but my sporty and I'm curious
It's not ridiculously hard, it takes you knowing how to ride your machine.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM
InsomniaInc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to take the course but they do not offer it on Maui. It's advertised, but it's actually on a different island. I'm thinking about making a weekend trip out of it though, I really want to take it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by DougYITBOS
I'd really like to take the advanced course but you have to use your own bike for that ... And I sure as heck don't want to drop my new Harley.
Nobody is going to push you over. Why would think you'd drop your bike? You're not riding through a minefield, doing wheelies or jumping 23 buses end to end. It's typically a big, open parking lot.
I took the Advance Rider Course and I could save a little on my insurance, but I get discounts for other reasons (home owner, multi bike, association member) so my discounts were maxed out anyway. I found it a waste of a perfectly good Saturday. Thankfully, it didn't cost me any dough. Anything they can show you, I learned on a dirt bike ages ago.
The MSF course is a money making scam. "Give us your money, and you don't have to take a real test." Nobody gives a rat's pituty whether you live or die. It's all about the money. I'm not trying to brag or be a conspiracy theorist, just calling it like I see it.
For someone who's never riden, it's a great idea and they can learn a crap ton. Especially if it's your OL. You'd rather she drop their little 250 and burn their clutch than try to learn on your Harley. Highly recommended for a noob, but if you've ridden for a couple years and don't have your head up your bum, there's much less reward. I'd rather have a good instructional book for 20 bucks.
Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
davidearlcox
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
I found it a waste of a perfectly good Saturday. Thankfully, it didn't cost me any dough. Anything they can show you, I learned on a dirt bike ages ago.
It's been a good while since I took a riding course. But much of it involved survival skills in a world of inattentive cagers, recognition of situations in which motorcyclists could be unseen and unnoticed, etc. Things that could never be learned by any amount of dirt bike riding, and had nothing really to do with how well we could physically handle a bike. Many of these concepts were taught in a classroom. Then, and only then, did we actually learn and practice handling skills on a course.

What the heck POS class did you supposedly take? Obviously you didn't get your money's worth, even if it was free.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM
jlmdvm
Advanced

I took the course as a new rider here in NC. Great for me. Then I bought a used rebel 250 and just got familiar with controls. Hated the slow fig 8 turns so still practice them every couple rides Ina empty parking lot. Totally different on the 1200, can't get quite as tight but still practice those control skills every so often in a lot

Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by davidearlcox
It's been a good while since I took a riding course. But much of it involved survival skills in a world of inattentive cagers, recognition of situations in which motorcyclists could be unseen and unnoticed, etc. Things that could never be learned by any amount of dirt bike riding, and had nothing really to do with how well we could physically handle a bike. Many of these concepts were taught in a classroom. Then, and only then, did we actually learn and practice handling skills on a course.

What the heck POS class did you supposedly take? Obviously you didn't get your money's worth, even if it was free.
It was the MSF Advanced course. I paid for the course and was reimbursed through HOG.
I don't need someone to explain situational awareness to me. Anyone who has half a brain and has driven a car more than 5000 miles should be aware that people don't see you, much less on a bike. If you know how to ride, there's not a lot of physical handling to it. Like I said, I'd rather have the book, which I've read in the comfort of my own readin' room and found informative, especially the physics lessons. My point is that they're in it for the money. That's the reality of it to me. I'm certain there are tons of people who have benefited from it. I know a few. If taking the course makes your socks go up and down, have at it. Just sharing my experience and maybe saving someone a nice Saturday to go for a real ride.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I just had the classroom part of the MSF last night. Instructors were nice and such, informational as well, but I don't think I learned much of anything that I didn't already know. At our 10 minute break, a 40's something woman was talking about it to me, and thought it was quite informational with a lot to learn. She was also writing down most things we talked about, so I think it was a good class for her, and worth her money. I've also read up on my own about MC safety (DMV books etc) anyway so that helped me already when we started talking about things, but most things we talked about I felt were self explanatory, or found just from the reading I already did. I'm hoping the driving part of the class on Sat & Sun morning will bring something I wasn't aware of, or better way to tackle some of my shortcomings I might have and/or not realized.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Thorshammer
Tourer

Originally Posted by DougYITBOS
It was a blast!! I was grinding the hell outta my floor boards.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 AM
sprinklerape
Cruiser

Gives you an ins. Break and at least in Texas allows you to ride without helmet as long as you meet age requirement.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course