Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Sporty Recall - That serious????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Crazie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Sporty Recall - That serious????

Hey All -

I got a call yesterday (didn't speak to them directly but dealer left a message on my machine) and they told me HD had issued a recall on my '07 XL1200L. They said do NOT ride the bike and they will make arrangements next week to come and get it... which is all the more interesting since I am 50 miles and a 90min ferry ride away from the dealership. It's going to take one of their employees literally 3/4 of a working day and $100.00 in ferry fares to get it.... + the same again to bring it back.

The only recall info that I can find here was the one about the voiltage regulator potentially causing a steering problem. Checked on the gov site and that's the only recall I could find there.Did HD find something else? Certainly that voltage reg thing couldn't be serious enough that they would tell me not to ride the bike and go through all that trouble to come and get it.

Anyways, thought I would ask. I'll post what is really up once I get a chance to talk with them this afternoon.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: '07 Sporty Recall - That serious????

If I were you, I'd let them come and get it. Obviously, the reason for the recall is considered a significant enough liability for them to go to the trouble of picking up the bike and dropping it back off. I agree that the voltage regulator/fender issue seems trival, but I'd prefer them doing the transportationto you possibly being "dead right" by driving it in. Besides, HD will most likely compensate them, but that's really their issue with HD.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:39 PM
sportin_2007
Tourer

I'b be overly suspicious about anyone offering to come and pick my bike up, unless I knew the person at the dealer and could verify it was them calling. There's a recall on my bike for the voltage regulator, and they have to pre order the part from HD which takes a couple weeks to even get the part. They told me to ride it, and next time i'm in for service or in the area, drop in and they'd put it on real quick while I wait. What's with picking it up? That's strange....

Better make sure the person who called you is the guy from the dealer?

Old 01-20-2007, 04:21 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt that it's really all that serious. But it's a serious issue to the MoCo. Now that the problem has resulted in a recall, they could get a HUGE lawsuit. If you were togo down as a result of this defect, which could result in "death or serious injury", and they had not instructed you to NOT ride the bike...MAJOR legal issues.

This is just the MoCo covering their a$$.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 PM
thundergod
Tourer

i just spoke to the dealer and found out mine is on the recall list he says the problem is if you hit a big pothole and the front bottoms out that the fender gets stuck on the voltage regulator. he said dont hit and potholes until they get the parts in. i told him he was a dick. and the parts better be here by next week. i agree that it probably is not that big of an issue but i did not like his attitude about the whole thing.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

Just got off the phone with the dealer (I know the service manager so I know it's legit) and it is indeed the regulator recall. Parts won't be available until first of Feb so I'll just have to ride my bagger until they come get the Sporty. This HAS to be a major liability exposure for HD to physically pick up the bike for repair.

Oh well, it saves me a trip. I needed to have the dealer marry the fob for the security system I self installed but the weather around here has been too lousy to take it over to the mainland. This way they can haul it over and back for free.

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:42 PM
1200cc
Tourer

..i bought my bike from a one owner,,and dont regret it,,
seems HD workers,,dealers..etc have a attitude,,here in WV
and before somebody pic,s up my HD,they better have a big
gun,,and proof of identity,,because i know who i am,,and yes
i do have a big gun,,LOL,,just smoking,,whoops i meant just joking,,LOL..