Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my chain rubs on my tire and my gen. light is on

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM
ChooChooCharlie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my chain rubs on my tire and my gen. light is on

I ride a 1980 sportster and her chain rubs on the tire no matter what. I've tried re-aligning the tire multiple times and it looks like the tire might be to big. Also this bike has gone thru many hands and it looks like the hub might be backwards, is this possible??? i cant seem to find any worthwhile info out of the manual or parts catalog. also the generator light is always on and dims while i ride and now i have to push start it, she wont stay running with her lights on (starts popping really loud, loses power and dies) and she barely runs with em off (it died when i pulled in to my house) does anybody know whats wrong?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by ChooChooCharlie
I ride a 1980 sportster and her chain rubs on the tire no matter what. I've tried re-aligning the tire multiple times and it looks like the tire might be to big. Also this bike has gone thru many hands and it looks like the hub might be backwards, is this possible??? i cant seem to find any worthwhile info out of the manual or parts catalog. also the generator light is always on and dims while i ride and now i have to push start it, she wont stay running with her lights on (starts popping really loud, loses power and dies) and she barely runs with em off (it died when i pulled in to my house) does anybody know whats wrong?
Well, it's almost certainly the wrong sized tire. You could try calling your local dealer for the correct sizing information for the tire.

As for the charging issue, it's either the stator or the voltage regulator, or possibly the battery, but not likely. How comfortable are you doing electrical work? Do you know how to use a multimeter?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Got your answer on tire (probably should be 4.25-18) but are you even sure spacers are correct on back tire?. Not sure what you mean by hub backwards? Pull battery and get it charged. Have it tested on Autozones fancy machine. If it's good, reinstall it and hopefully the new connection will make your light go out. If not PM me and this post and I will attempt to walk you thru some basics.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-02-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

As mentioned, you have two unrelated problems. You may have battery and/or charging problems, so check your battery as suggested. Also go to the DIY section here and you will find a guide on how to check your charging circuit.

As Ripsaw says, your correct size rear tyre is 4.25x18. Check the size of yours and let us know, then we can advise what to do if it is wrong.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 PM
ChooChooCharlie
Novice

the back tire is a "130/90-16 challenger" i just got a new battery for her on friday so I did a generator output test and got 2.5v than proceded to the maximum output test and got 2.5 volts again.. the service manual says to disassemble it, should i wait on ripping it out and get the battery tested, or do i have reason to go for it and disassemble the generator?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
ChooChooCharlie
Novice

im good with a multimeter

Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Does this bike actually have a generator? Know when I had a 62 Corvair when you put a new battery in there was a procedure to get the contact in the the 3 contact voltage regulator to be in the correct polarity to charge correctly. However if all it's putting out is 2.5volts I would guess you have a commutator problem. I would say you are close to a 1" wider tire. Probably only had 1/4" clearance on the 4.25 wide tire and you are running 5.07 or so?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-02-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM
ChooChooCharlie
Novice

turns out the gen. has a "shorted or open Field" there was no continuity through her when there should have been 5-6.5 ohms

Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
ChooChooCharlie
Novice

they switched to alternators in late 84 before that it was all generators on sportys

Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM
ChooChooCharlie
Novice

and yes the tire is scary!!! the bikes nickname is squirrelly

Quick Reply: my chain rubs on my tire and my gen. light is on