Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hands-free cell phone/ g.p.s.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hands-free cell phone/ g.p.s.

i just got the sena hands-free headset... have not yet tried to ride with it. got it to pair with my phone and my garmin. seems like a good unit- havent seen this thing discussed on this board before and i am wondering if anyone else here rides with a sena type device?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I have the Cardo Scala G4 headset that's BT paired with my Zumo 550 and Android phone.

Before the hate posts start, I DO NOT advocate cellphone use while riding. I am however self employed as a consultant and need to be reachable by phone. The headset paired with my phone allows me ride 7 days a week if I choose, while most people are stuck at work. Traffic permitting, I can quickly answer a clients call, even if it's to simply tell them I'll call them back in a few minutes when I reach a safe place to pull off the road or simply to know that the phone rang and that I need to pull off when convenient. This eliminates the need to pull over every 30 minutes just to see if I have any missed calls or messages.

Another nice feature with a BT headset is wireless streaming music from the phone, and of course bike to bike communication when riding with with a partner.

As with most headsets, if you have a BT GPS and Phone, you'll typically need to pair the phone to the GPS and then the GPS to the headset. I've found that I really don't need voice prompts from the GPS, so I typically just pair the phone to the headset and use the GPS (visual) standalone. It simplifies the reliability of the auto reconnecting of devices every time you shut off the bike or get off and walk out of BT range.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I have been thinking about a new FF helmet with built in speakers & BT, just don't know how good the sound will be and there expencive to try it just to find out the sound is crappy.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I just listen to my staggered duals. If I wanted to talk on the phone or listen to the radio, I'd stay home.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by CRocks
I just listen to my staggered duals. If I wanted to talk on the phone or listen to the radio, I'd stay home.
I hear ya but being able to talk to a fellow rider(s) is very handy when your my age and have to pee a lot.
Listening to music while riding is kind of like when George discovered sex and eating, both are great...but combining them is just the bees knees!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM
MegaImagen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the uClear HBC-100. I work in IT, 24hx7. So they need to reach me, try no to talk to mush on the phone but really got it for music and GPS. I use my Iphone 4S with Navigon. Another cool feature is that don't require boom. Instillation was easy and quick

http://www.uclear-digital.com/HBC100moto.php

Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
cHarley
Club Member

I didn't see anyone asking for naysayers opinions in the OP.
Fortunately, at least for the time being, we still have the right to personal choice in this country.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
I didn't see anyone asking for naysayers opinions in the OP.
Fortunately, at least for the time being, we still have the right to personal choice in this country.

We also have the right to opinion, desenting or not. I've served + defended that right, I'll practice it freely.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
cHarley
Club Member

We also have the right to opinion, desenting or not. I've served + defended that right, I'll practice it freely.
Yes, you do. But in this case, the OP didn't ask for it.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Quick Reply: hands-free cell phone/ g.p.s.