Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the fuel inlet valve on carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Sporthawg1200
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the fuel inlet valve on carb

Hello,
Anyone out there ever change the fuel inlet on the carb? I have a '95 XL 1200. Mine was cracked in three places on the plastic part. I was leaking fuel down the carb and wondered where it was coming from and found the leaky valve. When Itried to remove it, the plastic piececame off and all that's left is the brass part that goes into the carb body.I did a search here on the forum and all it said was to trythreading a self tapping screw in the brass part into the remaining part of the inlet and pull it out. That sounds pretty scary being that the carb body is aluminum.

I was hoping that someone here had a better way of taking out and putting in a new one. (By the way I do have a new one to put in.) And I alsothought I would rebuild the carbit while I had it off of the bike too.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Changing the fuel inlet valve on carb

I rebuilt a buddies and used a screw likementioned, be very careful. The next time I see this problem, I plan on using a small drill bit.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:53 PM
balley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new title ****** *Moderator*
ORIGINAL: ******

I rebuilt a buddies and used a screw likementioned, be very careful. The next time I see this problem, I plan on using a small drill bit.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Wolhar
Banned

Thanks I guess! hahahahahahahahaha

Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Sporthawg1200
Advanced

How did you get it out? Did you pull or screw it out? I'm confused.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:05 PM
strickrodt70
Cruiser

Another broken fuel intlet valve.....join the club. I don't know how to help you get it out because I needed my carb rebuilt so I took it to a shop since I have never rebuilt a carb. I DO know how to help you prevent it from ever happening again though.....don't replace it with one that has a plastic elbow on it. Plastic gets brittle over the years and will eventually crack again. I replaced mine with an all metal fuel inlet valve.
My valve broke while I was removing the fuel hose to prepare my bike for transport in a moving truck. After I moved, I broke away the rest of the plastic to leave just the brass and I actually fitted my fuel hose over the brass and clamped it down. It rode just fine that summer...as far as the fuel inlet valve is concerned.
This winter I decided to do some much needed maintenance on my bike and so I had my carb rebuilt. I like to do most of my wrench turning myself, but I was lost on the carb so I took it to a local shop for the rebuild. We talked about the fuel inlet valve and they said they could get an all metal one for me so it would not happen again. So that's what happened.
(931)552-9840 LA Motors. They seem to specialize in Harley. They're usually closed Sun & Mon. Clarksville, TN. Maybe they can help you get an all metal fuel inlet valve.
Good luck getting it out. Sorry I'm no help there, but I'd be interested to hear how it turns out. I recently bought a used carb on eBay for extra parts and it has a broken fuel inlet valve on it as well. So if you could educate me on that it would be much appreciated. (I'd rather learn from your mistakes if you don't mind)[&:]Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23810/4BA664E547F7421EA4C9791C51659916.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Sporthawg1200
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I never thought of just putting the fuel hose on the brass piece. I will keep you informed of how it turns out.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Sporthawg1200
Advanced

Strickrodt70,
By putting the hose on the brass, did it ever come off? I know you probably used a clamp, but I would hate for it to come off. I'm now considering just putting it on that way after my carb rebuild. My question would be, If you didn't feel like messing with getting a new valve would you just leave that way? Just curious.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Wolhar
Banned

Search fo rthe right size screw at a hardware store, thread it into the plastic/brass remainsand then pull it out. The next time I fae this, I will use my Numdered Drill Index, find the correct size bit for the piece and dirll it out,,,,gently. The numbered drill index has Bits graduated in thousandths of an inch,a small sheetmetal type screw is whatI used on my Buddies, it was aggravating but it worked

Old 02-04-2007, 06:41 PM
strickrodt70
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Sporthawg1200

Strickrodt70,
By putting the hose on the brass, did it ever come off? I know you probably used a clamp, but I would hate for it to come off. I'm now considering just putting it on that way after my carb rebuild. My question would be, If you didn't feel like messing with getting a new valve would you just leave that way? Just curious.
Well, I don't forsee you having any problems. It never slipped off while I had it that way, and it was like that all summer long. I'n not aware of any long term problems that would arise if you left it that way. I clamped it of course, but the hose was a very tight fit over the brass (it took a few minutes to get it over the brass), so I don't think it would have slipped off even without the clamp. If my carb hadn't needed a rebuild I think I would still have it pulled over the brass.
I don't have any pics, but I just used the samewidth hose (5/16" for mine) but I had to get a slighty longer piece.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Changing the fuel inlet valve on carb