Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal canceller not blinking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
chiefaponte
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal canceller not blinking

My 96 sportster recently had installed some led turn signals. My problem is that when actuated the turn signals come on solid. But when the hazard is on. they blink fine. I have read many posts and how led lights need some load something. Why would it work with the hazard? My wiring is fine and so are voltages and ground. Pleass help

Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 AM
1maddmaxx
Advanced
Default Hey Chief try this

This may solve your problem.http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/757...Load-Equalizer
Ex Navy Scope Dope here.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

With only one turn signal, there is not enough resistance to trigger the flasher, but using hazards with all four lights blinking there is enough to trigger it.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
chiefaponte
Intermediate

so can I overcome this by installing a resistor inline. next concern is how much resistance?

my issue is that I spent 40 dollars and to spend another 40 for two load balancers does not make sense.

I was thinking of going super cheap and installing a regular old-style flasher for each side but I do not know if it will hurt the canceller.

thanks

Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM
chiefaponte
Intermediate

Scuba. You were right i used a bulb from my car and it started flashing. I installed a 10 ohm resistor and that did not do the trick. I think i need to go smaller since each filament of the incandecent bulb is only one to two ohms

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yesh, Ohms Law:

voltage ÷ current = resistance

For example, if your standard bulbs are 12 volts and draw 2 amps then each bulbs resistance value is 6 ohms (12 ÷ 2 = 6).

Or if they were 12 volt and drew 3.7 amps of current the resistance value of each would be 3.24 ohms (12 ÷ 3.7 = 3.24 (ohms)).

So, if you can use Ohms Law to figure out the resistance value of your standard bulbs you can use Ohms Law to figure out the resistance of the new LED bulbs. You then simply take the standard bulb resistance value and subtract from that the resistance value of the new LEDs, and the resulting number will be the value of resistance that you need to add to each LED bulb for them to operate properly.

=8^)

Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Yesh, Ohms Law:

voltage ÷ current = resistance

For example, if your standard bulbs are 12 volts and draw 2 amps then each bulbs resistance value is 6 ohms (12 ÷ 2 = 6).

Or if they were 12 volt and drew 3.7 amps of current the resistance value of each would be 3.24 ohms (12 ÷ 3.7 = 3.24 (ohms)).

So, if you can use Ohms Law to figure out the resistance value of your standard bulbs you can use Ohms Law to figure out the resistance of the new LED bulbs. You then simply take the standard bulb resistance value and subtract from that the resistance value of the new LEDs, and the resulting number will be the value of resistance that you need to add to each LED bulb for them to operate properly.

=8^)
Now you need the rest of the formula: P=IE
Where I = amps (2) and E = voltage (12) and P = wattage (?)
P=I*E or ( 2*12 = 24 ), so, using your numbers, the wattage is 24 for 1 bulb.

That means the equalizer (resistor) needs to be rated > 24 watts. Not exactly a typical resistor.

Autozone carries them.

Last edited by cHarley; 02-10-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
Now you need the rest of the formula: P=IE
Where I = amps (2) and E = voltage (12) and P = wattage (?)
P=I*E or ( 2*12 = 24 ), so, using your numbers, the wattage is 24 for 1 bulb.

That means the equalizer (resistor) needs to be rated > 24 watts. Not exactly a typical resistor.

Autozone carries them.
Hey cHarley, stop clouding the issue with facts!! LOL. The numbers I used above weren't actual values - I just used what materialized inside my own head...unfortunately, often confused with reality

=8^)

Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Hey cHarley, stop clouding the issue with facts!! LOL. The numbers I used above weren't actual values - I just used what materialized inside my own head...unfortunately, often confused with reality

=8^)

I was really just pointing out for those that don't know any better, that your typical Radio Shack 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor, is NOT going to cut it.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley

I was really just pointing out for those that don't know any better, that your typical Radio Shack 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor, is NOT going to cut it.

Ha!! Yes, but in doing so you DID offer the remainder of information - to complete the equation! Right on.

Cheers man!

=8^)

Quick Reply: turn signal canceller not blinking