Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
fishbat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage 1 Questions

I have done some stuff to my 2010 48 over the winter, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I have some questions about it. I'm hoping maybe some of you want to weigh in.

I did the whole mreed air filter and added some cycle shack slip-ons. I knew that I'd need to do something in the way of a "tune" so I put on some X14ieds as well.

Overall, I'm super happy with everything. Looks badass, spent almost nothing, and sounds great.

What I'm wondering is this: All the things I've done are not in anyway hurting my motor, right? Should I be plug chopping to check it out at different intervals or is this pretty basic and I'm worrying too much?

And is this even something you would call stage 1?

Thanks for the responses!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Congratulations you sir have done a Stage 1. Affectionately know as the Harley Tax. The X14iED should make the bike run smoother and I haven't had any issues with mine. With the exception of a slight drop in mileage. Of course I do mostly urban stop and go riding. YMMV.

Enjoy.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The XiED should cover it. A lot of people have plenty of miles on them to prove so. And an A/C, exhaust and retune are exactly what Stage 1 is.

At this point all you need to do is ride it and keep on the maintenance schedule.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbat
I have done some stuff to my 2010 48 over the winter, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I have some questions about it. I'm hoping maybe some of you want to weigh in.

I did the whole mreed air filter and added some cycle shack slip-ons. I knew that I'd need to do something in the way of a "tune" so I put on some X14ieds as well.

Overall, I'm super happy with everything. Looks badass, spent almost nothing, and sounds great.

What I'm wondering is this: All the things I've done are not in anyway hurting my motor, right? Should I be plug chopping to check it out at different intervals or is this pretty basic and I'm worrying too much?

And is this even something you would call stage 1?

Thanks for the responses!
We need a sticky for this subject!

Yes you worry too much, and have done nothing to hurt your motor; the XiED's have lessened the lean factory condition which would have normally been multiplied had you not added them after upgrading your exhaust and intake.

However, historically, a Stage 1 mod consists of 3 specific things, and 3 things only; a less restricted exhaust, a free flowing intake, and a tuner. The addition of a tuner will accentuate the exhaust and intake and provide you with quicker & smoother acceleration, and the best all around performance increase that you can get by yourself, outside of a trip to an indy and DYNO time.

Some can and will argue the definition of Stage 1 all day long simply because they're "happy" with the results that a less expensive, less complicated, less affective and simpler alternative has given them, but the fact remains that there is nothing out there that compares to the capabilities, function, and performance increases that a tuner provides; it completes and defines the "Stage 1" definition. And if someone tries to convince you otherwise, they are smoking crack.

=8^)

Old 03-30-2013, 06:25 PM
fishbat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I figured it, but if never hurts to ask. The xieds are just a placeholder, I've every intention of getting into the tuner side of things, just wanted to get something cheap and easy going!

I appreciate the response guys!

Originally Posted by DrewBone
We need a sticky for this subject!

Yes you worry too much, and have done nothing to hurt your motor; the XiED's have lessened the lean factory condition which would have normally been multiplied had you not added them after upgrading your exhaust and intake.

However, historically, a Stage 1 mod consists of 3 specific things, and 3 things only; a less restricted exhaust, a free flowing intake, and a tuner. The addition of a tuner will accentuate the exhaust and intake and provide you with quicker & smoother acceleration, and the best all around performance increase that you can get by yourself, outside of a trip to an indy and DYNO time.

Some can and will argue the definition of Stage 1 all day long simply because they're "happy" with the results that a less expensive, less complicated, less affective and simpler alternative has given them, but the fact remains that there is nothing out there that compares to the capabilities, function, and performance increases that a tuner provides; it completes and defines the "Stage 1" definition. And if someone tries to convince you otherwise, they are smoking crack.

=8^)