Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Cycle Shack's on my Iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Fieldz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Cycle Shack's on my Iron 883

Hey guys,

Just bought a set of cycle shack mxl-130ss slip ons for my iron, I heard great things about them and you can't beat the cost.

Does anyone have any recommendations (anything I should know) before installing? removing the stock mufflers? Shouldn't be hard to get the stock mufflers off since the bike is new with only 50 miles on it.

I will put together a before and after video as well.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM
joedown53
Advanced

When I first bought the my 48, cycle shacks were my first slip ons. It really is straight forward. I recommend you grease up the stock mufflers so you don't have to tug as hard getting them off. My biggest (stupidest) issue was my pipes were still hot when I did put mine on.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Fieldz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joedown53
When I first bought the my 48, cycle shacks were my first slip ons. It really is straight forward. I recommend you grease up the stock mufflers so you don't have to tug as hard getting them off. My biggest (stupidest) issue was my pipes were still hot when I did put mine on.
haha, yeah figured it should be very simple. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 522 Posts

I have a set on order for my Iron too. Let us know how the install goes.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A little WD40 helps (let it soak) if you can't seperate the muffler from the headpipe, but if you only have 50 miles on, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are careful, you can probably re-use your gaskets.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity
A little WD40 helps (let it soak) if you can't seperate the muffler from the headpipe, but if you only have 50 miles on, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are careful, you can probably re-use your gaskets.
I was able to reuse the gaskets with my cycle shacks. Had a about 1500 miles at the time. It's an easy install. Love the cycle shacks.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Fieldz
Intermediate

Installed them today once I got home from work. Taking the stock mufflers off was the hardest part, they were a bit*h! Other than that it was a breeze.

Question you anyone that has them installed. Are you running the bike stock with just the slip ons or did you upgrade ait filter and remap? Just curious if I'll run into any issues. I'm sure it's going to run a little lean and mpg will go go down.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM
bjonesy77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fieldz
Installed them today once I got home from work. Taking the stock mufflers off was the hardest part, they were a bit*h! Other than that it was a breeze.

Question you anyone that has them installed. Are you running the bike stock with just the slip ons or did you upgrade ait filter and remap? Just curious if I'll run into any issues. I'm sure it's going to run a little lean and mpg will go go down.
I've been looking into this myself. I got a set of V&H straighshot slip ons installed before i picked it up at the dealer. I'm now looking into a DK customs air cleaner and have found that Xieds will yield most of the benefits of a full tuner (power commander, fuelpak, ect) but for significantly less cost. However, some sort of tuning is necessary if you have a slip on AND an intake.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fieldz

Got the cycle shacks, x14ieds , thunder torques, an SE heavy breather ac on my 09 low. Runs great

Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 AM
bdyman2007
Cruiser

i love my cycle shack mufflers, im basicly bone stock havent really noticed a difference in power or mpg at all
i love how freakin loud the bike is

Quick Reply: Installing Cycle Shack's on my Iron 883