Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best looking tank on the Nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 PM
mos68x
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best looking tank on the Nightster?

I know this varies on personal taste, but I'd still like to know anyways since there could be other tanks I just haven't seen before. I'm looking to replace this peanut tank on my Nightster and want other people opinions without starting a war lol. As of right now I'm partial to the low fatboy type of look for the tank and haven't seen anything yet that fits the bike or makes me happy, I'm hoping that I just haven't seen a tank that one of you guys have run across.
Thanks

Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM
MattCo
Tourer

I just love the stock one, that's what makes the nightster a nightster to my eyes

Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

The best Sportster tanks are the Iron/Nightster tank and the 48 tank, in my opinion.

I think the 4.3 gallon tank is ugly.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont understand threads like this?? what you think is best is best its irrelivant what someone else thinks..
stock Nightster tank is the best HD tank ever made in vivid black but thats my opinion

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
mos68x
Advanced

Originally Posted by MattCo
I just love the stock one, that's what makes the nightster a nightster to my eyes
I understand, it's just that I don't care for the peanut tank look.
Originally Posted by jdub099
The best Sportster tanks are the Iron/Nightster tank and the 48 tank, in my opinion.

I think the 4.3 gallon tank is ugly.
I don't think I've seen the 4.3 gal version
Originally Posted by hogdiver96
I just dont understand threads like this?? what you think is best is best its irrelivant what someone else thinks..
stock Nightster tank is the best HD tank ever made in vivid black but thats my opinion
The only tanks that I've seen fitted to these bikes are the peanut ones and I'm just hoping that perhaps someone out there went against the grain and put some other style on it. I'll make a form out of foam with the way that I want it to look if I have to, but if someone already has one made in steel that is a style that I like then I would go for it. I just haven't seen anything yet and was hoping that someone has. Searches in here or google just don't come with anything but stock tanks and I don't really want to go full out custom unless I have to. I want the tank lower and more curved and of course larger would be really nice too.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any tank you like can be made to fit. If you're looking for direct bolt on applications your options are practically limited to the 2.2, 3.3, or 4.2. This is due to A) the way the tanks mount on the 04+(rubber mounted motors) is different from previous years and B) you have EFI. If you're willing to go custom the options are limitless but there's a few things you'd have to address. Mounting it, adapting for efi(Zombie Performance makes weld in adapter plates) and perhaps retunnelling since the rubber mounts backbone is thicker than usual.

Oh and I vote 2.2. I don't like the other stock tanks much at all.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
mos68x
Advanced

Originally Posted by HERE
Any tank you like can be made to fit. If you're looking for direct bolt on applications your options are practically limited to the 2.2, 3.3, or 4.2. This is due to A) the way the tanks mount on the 04+(rubber mounted motors) is different from previous years and B) you have EFI. If you're willing to go custom the options are limitless but there's a few things you'd have to address. Mounting it, adapting for efi(Zombie Performance makes weld in adapter plates) and perhaps retunnelling since the rubber mounts backbone is thicker than usual.

Oh and I vote 2.2. I don't like the other stock tanks much at all.
Thank you, I thought I was just being stupid trying to look for some. In that case over winter (if not sooner) I'll try to mock up something for a shape. Thanks for the heads up on the weld in plates, I'll certainly have to use them.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mos68x
I don't think I've seen the 4.3 gal version
I meant the 4.5 gallon version.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

the best looking nightster tank is the nightster tank. the street glide tanks looks good too... on a street glide. see where i'm going with this?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
c0jones
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mos68x
I know this varies on personal taste, but I'd still like to know anyways since there could be other tanks I just haven't seen before. I'm looking to replace this peanut tank on my Nightster and want other people opinions without starting a war lol. As of right now I'm partial to the low fatboy type of look for the tank and haven't seen anything yet that fits the bike or makes me happy, I'm hoping that I just haven't seen a tank that one of you guys have run across.
Thanks
The 4.5 gallon "walnut" is longer, wider & lower than the 3.3 gal.
I like the 60 mile increase in range.

Quick Reply: What is the best looking tank on the Nightster?