Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very light ticking sound from the top end

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Bucky Katt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very light ticking sound from the top end

I have a 1995 XLH1200, stock internally as far as i know. i've had it about 2 months or so and in the last week or so a new noise has cropped up. once the motor warms up i'm getting a light ticking sound from the top end, i dont think it's exhaust and it's only noticeable at idle once it hits operating temperature. this is my first American V-twin so i just dont know if any kind of top end noise is normal or not. it runs good both hot and cold with no backfiring. this noise is very very faint and it just doesnt have the "oomph" of excessive valve clearances. before breaking my neck and back a few years ago i was a BMW/Triumph tech and i've been working on bikes and cars for 30+ years now. i DONT have a factory service manual yet.
oil levels are all good and theres less than 1000 miles on the oil.

sorry for the poor quality phone picture. that was taken the day i got it.

Attached Thumbnails very light ticking sound from the top end-95-sportster.jpg  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a sporty...that's how they sound

Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Bucky Katt
Novice

okay, so nothing to worry about. i just wanted to be sure as it didnt make the sound when i got it. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

Sportster motors are fairly noisy, my wife rides a 2012 Iron and it is quite noisy in the top end. I have also been told if you are running synthetic oil it will be louder than if you are using conventional oil as well.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Bucky Katt
Novice

Originally Posted by Guitarman_sg
Sportster motors are fairly noisy, my wife rides a 2012 Iron and it is quite noisy in the top end. I have also been told if you are running synthetic oil it will be louder than if you are using conventional oil as well.

Gibson man are you? I have a 2011 SG Studio and a 2008 LP Standard. LOVE my Gibsons.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes I am, I have a 09 Sg Studio, and a 12 LP Studio Deluxe, among other various makes and models, but the Gibby's are my favorites. Love them almost as much as my bike!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Try getting someone familiar with the bike to listen. A lot of people mistake the noisy valvetrain for a problem when it's just the nature of the beast.

It is possible it's an actual problem, albeit unlikely. Usually those are fairly obvious.

Bucky Katt
Novice

I also have a 96 Fender Jagstang, a Swamp Ash Tele with vintage Joe Bardens in it and an old Japanese built Washburn HB-35 (es-335 clone) i'm saving my pennies for a Hallmark Classic 60 now. no way i can afford to buy back my 65' Mosrite MK-I so for 1/6th the price i'm trying the Hallmark. I play the bagpipes too.

rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My first bike was a sporty that I found on craigs list. When I went and looked at it and my brother rode it, it seemed like a really nice bike except for the valve noise I cold hear in it. I called a harley service guy I new and asked him about it and he started laughing....yep, it's a sporty, that's how they sound. No worries.

If you put on a full face helmet you can't hear it....lol. enjoy

Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Bucky Katt
Novice

i'm going to change the oil. no telling what weight or quality oil the local used bike dealer put in it. god knows their mechanics are about useless when none could properly adjust the idle mixture on the Mikuni lol.

Quick Reply: very light ticking sound from the top end