Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next upgrade Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 AM
iVoll
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next upgrade Stage 1

Hi!

So yesterday I installed the pythons on my Nightster. So far so good. But when I went to work this morning (15miles) I noticed that I had a little bit less power. Possible? Or just inside my head.

Anyway I already planned the next upgrades in 2 weeks, Fuel Mgmt + A/C. Who should fix that.

Fuel Mgmt: I found V&H Fuel Pack, Power Commander V, and XiED. First of all, those three are for the same purposes right? Or am I wrong?

I read a lot of good comments about the XiEDs, but is that really enough? Don't see why all the others are so much more expensive... But I can buy a PCV from a shop close to my house. As for the XiEDs I probably have to order them and ship to Europe. So I'm kinda lost right now.

A/C: They all look the same to me, but thinking about the Ness Big Sucker. But I'm open for any suggestions. Sometimes at pictures (from shops) I see the cleaner and 2 bolts. Is it really that easy to install?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

If it is much louder you may simply be riding at lower rpms. Try ear plugs, if you don't use them routinely!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Jack48S
Advanced

When I did a stage 1 on my sporty I used the fuelpak. I have had no problems with it but its either hit or miss. Some people hate the fuelpak and will tell you not to touch it.
I also installed the big sucker but only had it on for about two months. The price is right but I thought it was crap. I recently put the SE heavy breather on and the bike has been running great with it.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iVoll
Hi!

So yesterday I installed the pythons on my Nightster. So far so good. But when I went to work this morning (15miles) I noticed that I had a little bit less power. Possible? Or just inside my head.

Anyway I already planned the next upgrades in 2 weeks, Fuel Mgmt + A/C. Who should fix that.

Fuel Mgmt: I found V&H Fuel Pack, Power Commander V, and XiED. First of all, those three are for the same purposes right? Or am I wrong?

I read a lot of good comments about the XiEDs, but is that really enough? Don't see why all the others are so much more expensive... But I can buy a PCV from a shop close to my house. As for the XiEDs I probably have to order them and ship to Europe. So I'm kinda lost right now.

A/C: They all look the same to me, but thinking about the Ness Big Sucker. But I'm open for any suggestions. Sometimes at pictures (from shops) I see the cleaner and 2 bolts. Is it really that easy to install?

Thanks in advance!
The tuning options you list are more or less the same in that they will enrichen your AFR. After that, there is a big difference in what they do and can do and how they do it.

My Opinion:

IF you have the money, everyone raves about the Power Vision tuner (self tuning). IF you have hardly any money, XIEDs are fine. I was able to get a slightly used PCV from Fuel Moto for almost half the price. The map they did for me and loaded into the PCV is really, really spot on and I decided not to get it Dyno'd. The V&H Fuel Pak is not something I would get based on most reviews from people on this and other forums, but...no first hand knowledge using one.

I've ran XIEDs on two of my bikes and the current Sportster. They gave slight improvement and would run them if I didn't have the money for a tuner and not worry about it. But the best improvement is with a tuner and if you are doing a stage 1 to improve performance, then spending the extra money on getting a tuner is a no brainer. There are upsides and downsides to almost every tuner on the market (cost, ease of use, replaces the ECM, piggy-backs the ECM, auto tune, wide-band tuning, narrow-band tuning, etc). Enough to confuse a new EFI tuner user (The XIEDs are no brainer...plug in and go). I guess price point and what your expectations are for the bike should be the filter for your decision.

I run the SE A/C with K&N Filter because I wanted the stock A/C look. There are a number of free flowing A/C's out there and I guess it is what appeals to you as to the one to get.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi!

Thanks in advance!
Tuner:
Of the 3 tuning options you listed, the Power Commander V is the best and most comprehensive option. Power Vision is great and self tuning, but more expensive, if money isn't a problem that's really the way to go. It's a flash tuner, not a piggyback tuner, and you can mount it on the bars to get all kinds of measurements and statuses from the ECM.

A/C:
The Ness tuner works as well as any. It's a more cost effective version of the S/E part. It's not as pretty, but it works, and you really can't see it behind the cover. Most aftermarket A/C kits or the S/E part will get the job done.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM
W1ldC4t
Intermediate

I recently added cycle shack slip-ons and the Xied's to my Iron and it runs fine from what I can tell sitting in the saddle. I ran the cycle shacks for about 2 weeks before adding the Xied's and noticed an immediate difference when I plugged them in. Not rocket-fast improvement, but, better idle, throttle response, perceived cooler engine temp, etc. (what just about everyone else says after installing them).

Ordered the Outlaw 587 AC from DK Customs on Tuesday--came in the mail yesterday (A+ on customer service, DK!). Installing this weekend. I really like the plain look of the 587, and, the price is awesome. For someone on a mod-budget, it was a no brainer. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the SE Heavy Breather from a looks perspective--but, then again, it's your scoot / money.

Best of luck, I'm going to post some pictures of the bike once I get the AC installed since that's the last of my mods--for now...

-Wildcat

Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM
iVoll
Intermediate

Thanks again for the help! Really like this forum.

I'm really considering to take a look at the PowerVision. I just hope I find a good dealer or shop with good delivery to Europe. Or else ebay

@W1ldC4t, thanks a lot. Looks really nice indeed. 95% sure I'll order one of these!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks again for the help! Really like this forum.

I'm really considering to take a look at the PowerVision. I just hope I find a good dealer or shop with good delivery to Europe. Or else ebay

@W1ldC4t, thanks a lot. Looks really nice indeed. 95% sure I'll order one of these!
If you decide to go with the powervision, be careful where you buy it from. If its used, and married to a bike, you have to purchase the unlock license from either fueld moto or dyno vision which is $200.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 AM
iVoll
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mac10
If you decide to go with the powervision, be careful where you buy it from. If its used, and married to a bike, you have to purchase the unlock license from either fueld moto or dyno vision which is $200.
Thanks for the warning. But I've already contacted Dynojet and they've put me in contact with an official dealer from Germany.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the warning. But I've already contacted Dynojet and they've put me in contact with an official dealer from Germany.
Fuel Moto is one of the better suppliers here in the US. They do ship internationally. Support for the product is second to none. They offer discounted pricing and supply the unit with a custom map for your set-up and are always available for support either via email or phone. You might look at them and see what the cost difference may be.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Quick Reply: Next upgrade Stage 1