Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 12.5 " progressive 412's, Do I need to jack the bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing 12.5 " progressive 412's, Do I need to jack the bike

I will be installing a set of Progressive 412 12.5" shocks on my 09 883 Low next week. The HD manual says that is is not necessary to lift the bike to change shocks if they are done 1 side at a time. Since I am going with a longer than stock length shock, will I need to jack the bike up to change the shocks? I have a bike lift, it's just a pain in the rear to get the bike on the jack, so if it can be avoided that would be nice. Thanks.

Last edited by 883_dave; 09-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
I will be installing a set of Progressive 412 12.5" shocks on my 09 883 Low next week. The HD manual says that is is not necessary to lift the bike to change shocks if they are done 1 side at a time. Since I am going with a longer than stock length shock, will I need to jack the bike up to change the shocks? I have a bike lift, it's just a pain in the rear get the bike on the jack, so if it can be avoided that would be nice. Thanks.
I'm not sure if it can be done without a lift. Even if it can the lift will make your life a lot easier and will ensure that you dont damage anything in the process

Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Like the answers you got on "the other forum", you'll likely need a jack.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 AM
883_dave
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
Like the answers you got on "the other forum", you'll likely need a jack.
Thanks. I can't seem to find my post from today on "the other forum"? I tried to post, but can't find the post for some reasosn LOL. Maybe its in wrong section. I figured between here and there, some brave Sportster rider has tried it without a lift. I guess I'll have to drag out the old MC jack afterall. The wife will be thrilled. She just loves to help me jack up the bike .

Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
Thanks. I can't seem to find my post from today on "the other forum"? I tried to post, but can't find the post for some reasosn LOL. Maybe its in wrong section. I figured between here and there, some brave Sportster rider has tried it without a lift. I guess I'll have to drag out the old MC jack afterall. The wife will be thrilled. She just loves to help me jack up the bike .
When the shocks are close to the same length, you can get by without a jack by setting the opposite shock to its highest preload setting and doing them one at a time. But when the length increase is more than 1/2" or so, the jack is necessary, unless your wife can lift and hold the *** end of the bike up in the air.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 AM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it with a car jack if it's easier. Just leave it on the kick stand and jack it up towards the rear of the frame.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Riven02
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chris h.
You can do it with a car jack if it's easier. Just leave it on the kick stand and jack it up towards the rear of the frame.
That's what I did, not the most secure so I ratchet strapped it side to side.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't be a lazy f*ck, use the jack and do it right. It will all be done in less than an hour.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM
bjonesy77
Cruiser

Why is it so dreadful to use a bike lift? I wish I had one.

I'm doing electraglide shocks on my 48 and am using a car jack. It took me all of 20 minutes to get the old shocks off for measuring and another 10 to reinstall them.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bjonesy77
Why is it so dreadful to use a bike lift? I wish I had one.

I'm doing electraglide shocks on my 48 and am using a car jack. It took me all of 20 minutes to get the old shocks off for measuring and another 10 to reinstall them.
Since my bike is a Low with 11" factory shocks, the jack will not fit under the bike, so I have to put the front and rear tires up on 2X6" boards so that I can get the jack in place under the bike. The jack doesn't line up perfectly with the frame, because the crossover tube, kick-stand and kick-stand stop are all in the way. Once the bike is up on the 2X6" boards, the kickstand is too short to hold the bike up so the short, 100lbs(maybe) wife has to hold the bike up on the 2X6" boards while I mess around trying to get the bike jacked up. If I use boards under the kick-stand to hold the bike up, the jack won't go far enough under the bike to allow me to lift it safely. Then, the center of balance is never quite right with my jack so as soon as I loosen the shocks and the rear wheel goes toward the ground, the bike wants to fall forward (with the jack of course because they are now strapped together), so I have to support the front wheel with a piece of wood or brick or combination of the two.

I have done it before more than once, not being lazy, just didn't want to have to do it if it wasn't necessary. I guess it's necessary, so I will do it without hesitation. My question has been answered. Thanks everybody.

Quick Reply: Installing 12.5 " progressive 412's, Do I need to jack the bike