Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   What did you do to Your Sportster Today? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/929254-what-did-you-do-to-your-sportster-today.html)

tmac00333 09-04-2019 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by boomerguy (Post 18525256)
Sort of getting back on topic. Today I replaced the "grenade" aka spring plate in my transmission with 3 stock plates and while I was in there, my stock radial throw out bearing with a 7200B angular bearing to make my 2005 Sporty XL883 even more bulletproof. Both of these stock items are "time bombs". While my buddies are constantly adding bling to their bikes, I'm focusing more on making it run forever. For my type of riding the 883 is perfect with short gears, good mpg's and my standard controls which makes my back feel like it has never heard of sciatica. I don't know how I survived my youth on motorcycles because my 883 can do more than I want. Oh yeah, it's old enough to be simple to work on and new enough to be reliable, the best of both worlds. I suppose I should polish it more often but I save that for bad weather.

Granted, all this is true, but don't u feel slightly effeminate with such a small amount of power between your legs? A 1200 is so much more suited to a man vs. an 883 which is made for women. Even their ads are geared to females. In no way am I saying you are gay, I am just saying a 1200 has the power a man generally wants. Women do not generally care about power on a motorcycle, they are more concerned about safety and reliability and looking cool in their cute tops.
I just noticed your user name, that ends in "guy," so I am assuming you are a "guy." Sorry if I am wrong. Please post a pic of yourself on your little 883 so we can ascertain gender.

handirifle 09-04-2019 07:28 PM

Wow thats pretty harsh. Not everyone wants all the power available, from any line. To me the gearing on the 1200 is screwed up. First is too high for serious slow speed work, and 5th is not high enough for modern freeway cruising, not at 70 plus. For many freeways 70 is the limit and some are 75-80. So why, if he wants to ride winding, twisty roads does he need more power and too tall of gearing. I wouldn't care if he road a Honda 500, big whoopee, who cares, he rides what HE wants and needs.

Give the "guy" a break.

firehawk6 09-04-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by handirifle (Post 18525471)
Wow thats pretty harsh. Not everyone wants all the power available, from any line. To me the gearing on the 1200 is screwed up. First is too high for serious slow speed work, and 5th is not high enough for modern freeway cruising, not at 70 plus. For many freeways 70 is the limit and some are 75-80. So why, if he wants to ride winding, twisty roads does he need more power and too tall of gearing. I wouldn't care if he road a Honda 500, big whoopee, who cares, he rides what HE wants and needs.

Give the "guy" a break.

I know, right... I can literally hear the Tim Allen grunting going on while I read it. I'm surprised my computer isn't growing hair from all the excess, out of control testosterone oozing from that post. WoW...

boomerguy 09-04-2019 07:44 PM

Getting kinda personal, aren't you? I'm secure in my manhood. In my younger years I drove small European sports cars while my buddies drove muscle cars. I got more girls to ride with me than the other guys did. It seemed the guys with the big engines wanted to impress each other. I just wanted to enjoy driving and making new girlfriends.
Your referring to power between the legs reminds me of the guys who equated big and long, powerful cars with masculinity. Did you ever wonder why the nose of the Corvette was so long? There was a term for that but I won't go there.
I've owned much bigger and faster motorcycles that handled far better than my Sporty but those days are passed. I'm very happy with my little 883.
I've never confused my identity with my job titles or vehicles. While I owned a Miata, I also drove a big pickup truck and an Element. So, which category would I fit in?

firehawk6 09-04-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by boomerguy (Post 18525508)
Getting kinda personal, aren't you? I'm secure in my manhood. In my younger years I drove small European sports cars while my buddies drove muscle cars. I got more girls to ride with me than the other guys did. It seemed the guys with the big engines wanted to impress each other. I just wanted to enjoy driving and making new girlfriends.
Your referring to power between the legs reminds me of the guys who equated big and long, powerful cars with masculinity. Did you ever wonder why the nose of the Corvette was so long? There was a term for that but I won't go there.
I've owned much bigger and faster motorcycles that handled far better than my Sporty but those days are passed. I'm very happy with my little 883.
I've never confused my identity with my job titles or vehicles. While I owned a Miata, I also drove a big pickup truck and an Element. So, which category would I fit in?

Apparently you are gender confused, or maybe bi-gendered...:D

1986FXRLiberty 09-04-2019 08:09 PM

I started restoring my Sportster today. It's only an 1100, so I guess that makes me ever so slightly effeminate according to macho man's arbitrarily drawn line in the sand.

Pardon me while I shed a tear.

Actually, I think I'll go for a ride on my 165HP CBR1100XX. Or maybe a drive in my 430HP Silverado. Maybe then I'll go **** my girlfriend six ways from Sunday.

Zateeva 09-04-2019 08:29 PM

was a harsh, not thought out, bad comment, then this

Originally Posted by 1986FXRLiberty (Post 18525563)
I started restoring my Sportster today. It's only an 1100, so I guess that makes me ever so slightly effeminate according to macho man's arbitrarily drawn line in the sand.

Pardon me while I shed a tear.

Actually, I think I'll go for a ride on my 165HP CBR1100XX. Or maybe a drive in my 430HP Silverado. Maybe then I'll go **** my girlfriend six ways from Sunday.

and was perfect to sum it the macho mans comment

Turbomrdeuce 09-05-2019 12:54 AM

I replaced the old pegs with some smaller mtx style. When winter hits more subtle changes will occur
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...7d12bcf26.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...b9a0d8ce2.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...9c7e95f4f.jpeg

boomerguy 09-05-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by firehawk6 (Post 18525552)
Apparently you are gender confused, or maybe bi-gendered...:D

Actually, I secretly lust for a Land Rover Series 1 (1.6 liter I4) and a big Land Rover Discovery (V8) and an older Jeep Cherokee (I6). If my V-twin throbs between my legs, what did my previous bikes' V-4 and I4 motors do? My fastest bikes were the smoothest and the quietest and the best handling. I'm soooooo confused. Maybe if I wore more leather with BIGGER H-D patches....... I do a really good imitation of "Tim the Tool Man", too.

tmac00333 09-05-2019 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by boomerguy (Post 18525508)

Dude, I was horsing around. It was funny last night while I was writing it, with the help of a little bit of Jim Beam. Today, in the clear light of day, I can see why it was taken a little bit too seriously. Not the first time Mr. Beam has led me astray.