Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get a iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:08 AM
razorseal
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to get a iron 883

Hello everyone,

Wife and I stopped at a motorcycle gallery yesterday and I started looking at some of the Japanese bikes. My attention turned to the Yamaha bolt. After doing some research, as you are all aware, it's a copy cat of an Iron 883.

I had no intentions of getting a motorcycle, and only went to look.... but looking at how affordable the bolt was (with 1000 down, I can make small 100 dollar payments a month pretty much) it really sparked my interest.

I've always liked HD (really want a night rod one day. dare I say dream bike?) so today I'm going to check out the HD dealer and look at the Iron 883.

From my research, both (bolt and 883) are priced the same, so it's a no brainer for me to go for something I'd prefer. but apparently there are alot of hidden costs with a harley,which adds almost another 1,000 and MSRP is what it is, nobody will budge. That being said I thought of a slightly used 883. If I can find a used 883 for 6000, I think wife will feel at more ease, as she is not approving my purchase since we have the C7 Corvette coming soon, and she says it's too many weekend toys for me I could go get it, but that goes against the happy wife = happy life theory lol

So I wanted to ask opinions on a slightly used HD 883? would that be a good deal you think? Goal would be something for around 6,000. What could that get me? (FWIW, i'm in south Florida area)

Please understand this isn't a bolt vs 883. I'm just saying I've looked at both, that's all. I won't even mention how I feel about them both and compare. I'm sure there are millions of threads on that.

Let me also add the harley has plenty of power for me. I'm not looking for a fast bike or an acceleration monster. it will accelerate faster than many cars, and my main priority is to take it out and cruise on the beach. Just want to enjoy riding. I'm coming from a line of sports bikes (Honda VFR, ZX6R) and they just didn't have what I wanted. Like I said, my dream bike would be a HD Night Rod. I'd jump on one of those for 8,000 in good shape. lol

Last edited by razorseal; 03-22-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:09 AM
HawkIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Razor,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not really clued in with the US market so can't really say for you guys, but here in the UK when I was looking at the Iron myself second handers didn't really come down much in price. Yeah, they had mods from the last owner but is it what you want? Can you be sure they didn't ride the crap out of the bike? What about warranty etc. Strangely there was a second hand Iron came in a week before I made my decision. 1000 miles with slip ons. two years old so only had a year left on the original warranty, no HOG membership and no free year road side assistance. and it was only £800 cheaper. That swayed it for me, thought the extras of the new bike and the knowledge that I was the only owner gave me great peace of mind.

Probably not much help but its my two pence... or cents if you will

Ride safe when you make a decision though!

Hawk

Old 03-22-2014, 08:14 AM
razorseal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HawkIron
Razor,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not really clued in with the US market so can't really say for you guys, but here in the UK when I was looking at the Iron myself second handers didn't really come down much in price. Yeah, they had mods from the last owner but is it what you want? Can you be sure they didn't ride the crap out of the bike? What about warranty etc. Strangely there was a second hand Iron came in a week before I made my decision. 1000 miles with slip ons. two years old so only had a year left on the original warranty, no HOG membership and no free year road side assistance. and it was only £800 cheaper. That swayed it for me, thought the extras of the new bike and the knowledge that I was the only owner gave me great peace of mind.

Probably not much help but its my two pence... or cents if you will

Ride safe when you make a decision though!

Hawk
Thanks buddy!

I do see that these Harleys hold value REALLY well. Might steer me towards a new bike... I don't plan on selling it, but god forbid something happens in the family and extra cash is needed, bike would be first to go before any of the other toys. lol

I'm not sure a yamaha bolt is going to hold a value. I don't even think it'll be here 10 years from today.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:20 AM
HawkIron
Cruiser

Razor,

Totally agree there! Jap bikes don't seem to hold thier value at all these days! Just have to weigh up the pro's and cons of a new and old bike. make a list of what you get from the dealer with second hand versus new. I did it and it makes the choice that much easier. Remember the dealers WANT your money so make them work for it. I managed to negotiate free fitting for 3 add on items and a disc look thrown in. Nothing major but just sweetens the deal for me. Plus any little ****les I've had they've sorted promptly and without question. I'm a happy bunny at least!

Hawk

Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 AM
razorseal
Cruiser

I know you're from the other side of the pond, but I've heard dealers won't really budge on price of HDs here... Wonder the truth to that.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 AM
HawkIron
Cruiser

The trick I tend to do is tell them what you want, and the extra's, make a few trips back and forth um and arr a bit. Make all the moves short of an actual order then say you'll think about it. If they really want/need the sale they'll offer something then and there.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:07 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

First, my thoughts on the Iron versus the Bolt. Buy the Bolt if you want people to tell you...'It looks like a Harley.'

You could easily find a used Iron for between $6-$7k...probably less. Just have to be smart about which one. The more mods (and a lot of Irons will be modded) the more potential for the bike to be molested. Just do you research to find a clean one.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 PM
razorseal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kwn36
First, my thoughts on the Iron versus the Bolt. Buy the Bolt if you want people to tell you...'It looks like a Harley.'

You could easily find a used Iron for between $6-$7k...probably less. Just have to be smart about which one. The more mods (and a lot of Irons will be modded) the more potential for the bike to be molested. Just do you research to find a clean one.
I really don't want a modded bike. I plan on keeping it stock so...

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get some pricing. Let's see if it's actually MSRP. The fact that HD advertises 8000 and then charges 10% in fees makes me very mad. The corvette I'm getting is 60,000. I would be pissed if they had 6,000 in fees that come after the sticker price.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 PM
razorseal
Cruiser

Can someone explain this to me?

Looking at a used one (let's say these 2)... These are at like pretty much MSRP!!!! How much is a new one going to be? I mean for 500 more bucks, (let's say 8500 out the door) why would I even bother with these? However, they must be selling because these prices seem stable for the used ones

Check these 2 out that I liked:

2012 883 with V&H exhaust 600 miles
2011 883 with 4400 miles, $7500

Do these honestly hold value this well? and if they do, I don't see why anyone would buy a used one when a new one cost just a little bit more?

Might go check this one out tomorrow. Hopefully they're open. if bike looks good, and bike is right. I might go for it

2010 with 3,000 miles $6800

Last edited by razorseal; 03-23-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Rock the Iron, brother!

Quick Reply: Looking to get a iron 883