Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And what if something else goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 PM
cws176
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And what if something else goes wrong

SUPPOSINGLY they say they fixed my motorcycle again saying they replaced my ignition module and stator. Whats a stator btw? (From the bike cutting out on me while crusing on highways/byways). Just what if something else goes bonkers on me. Then the dealership is ****ing with me hard. Least these ****ers didnt charge me anything to replace the ignition module and stator

Old 04-10-2007, 09:06 AM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: And what if something else goes wrong

The stator is the heart of the charging system. It's located in the primary cover directly on the engine crank shaft. It's a coil of wiring in a fixed position. Then as your crank spins the magnetic rotor plate around the stator to induce electrical current in the stator wiring, this is your bikes electrical supply. Basically you can think of it as your bikes alternator. Atleast it was all done for free, but if you still develop problems, find a new dealership to look at it and get a second opinion.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I've seem the ignition module cause similar symptoms before. There's a fairley good chance that will fix it.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Terrytori
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cHarley

I've seem the ignition module cause similar symptoms before. There's a fairley good chance that will fix it.
Happened on a previous Sporty of mine. They tried telling me it was a loose battery connection and then
a short ... and finally took a look at the ignition as i suggested. Ooooppps!

Problem solved... never to return.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Reply:

Glad they fixed it for you. Hope you weren't unable to ride for too long.

Sarcasm:

Yup. Pretty sure they are “****ing with(you) hard.” “SUPPOSINGLY” they did fix it, like you said, but I'd bet your suspicion is well placed. They most certainly loosened a few bolts and put metal shavings in your oil to make your bike run like crap. And I’m even more certain they only attacked parts designed to cause failures that won’t be covered by warranty.

Pragmatic questions and comments:

Not quite sure why there are so many people in these forums that are so disturbed by their love-hate dichotomy for Harleys. Posters regularly seem to simultaneously say, “I think Harleys are uber cool and I am bad-*** when I ride mine. My bike looks and sounds so nice when I crack the throttle and scare the old lady in the cager next to me on the road. Hey, look at my Dyno sheet and my glamour shots sig pic. I am proud of my purchase and my prowess for knowing a quality machine when I see it. BUT………….The Company is a POS and the management is a bunch of *****. They are out to stick it to everyone. Their bikes are pieces of crap. There is a vast conspiracy to sell crappy products. They deliberately set out to make a bike that will break down. They then make it a big PITA for you to get it fixed. Oh yeah, and they don’t really fix it when they say they fix it. They sit around trying to think of ways to make my bike crap out on me and inconvenience me.” And so on….

Why is there such contempt and distrust for a company you support through an almost religious dedication through the purchase and use of their products? There are so many alternatives out there to Harleys. If they suck so badly or your experiences are so bad surrounding them, why do you continue to put yourself in that position? Get a different bike, don’t ride, realize that Harley is no different than any other company that produces a vehicle; options abound. Posting in forums like these is a great way to share stories and ideas but often it seems they are reduced to becoming a dumping ground for people bad-talking Harley and their bikes. It’s difficult to take anyone seriously when they voluntarily bought and praised their bike purchase only to slam the people that make and maintain it. Perhaps it would make some sense if the post included telling us they were selling their bike but that never seems to be the case.

It’s unfortunate that problems come up but if they were easy fixes they wouldn’t be called problems. It’s even more unfortunate that the vocal minority who trashes Harley at every opportunity (while riding a Harley by the way) has so much more influence over new and prospective riders as compared with the vast majority of the satisfied owners.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

Yeah but Benson, they feel better afterward! Yes, they have their good and bad like any other vehicle/maker... so far, I'm pretty impressed with the bike, dealer, and company.
The Therapy forum...

Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 PM
bigtop1
Road Master

Benson, its like this. There are too many places out there thatclaim to be and, want to be your dealer. They will coddle you into spending yourmoney with them. But, when they do shoddy workmanship no one wants to be accountable. Because of someones inept abilities and skills, we are all too often shuffled aside.They will do the easy, quick, no brainer stuff first. "You have a problem. Ok. I'll get to you just as soon as I take care of these other things because they bring in much more money and besides, I don't have the parts and will have to send to Kansas for them". "Oh, and by the way, we put the computer on your bike and it dosen't indicate there is anything wrong with it". "Our mechanic will take it for a spinin the parking lot to check it out"."I don't know who left that rag in the oil tank. You sure it was done here?". "That air cleaner is not one of ours. I'm not so sure that our warranty will be in coverage for you". "I can't imagine why those bolts worked loose"."I know that its a brand new bike but, they all cough and sputter and stall in trafficbut, I can fix that for 500 dollars". .........................Granted, we can all go somewhere else and, the fact of the matter, many do just that. The popularity of metrics has proven that. The problems we inherit are usually not insurmountable but, are they even necessary in the first place. The bench cost in a dealer repair shop is around 100 dollars an hour. You would think that at that rate you would get a little better showing of those abilities and knowledge, not to mention the technologies available to them. It's not a problem inherent in just motorcycles. I have heard countless stories about auto dealers, and so many other related industries. People are just not being held accountable. The old saying still holds true. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.You try to be patient and understanding about issues, you get stepped on and shuffled around, and then when you start to take issue, you're branded a bitch. .............Many of the folks on this forum have seen a dream come true when they were able to make their purchases. It is difficult to deal with people who have had their expectations deflated because of these problems encountered.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 PM
reaperman
Novice

The bench cost in a dealer repair shop is around 100 dollars an hour. You would think that at that rate you would get a little better showing of those abilities and knowledge, not to mention the technologies available to them.

well i hate to say this but my local dealer in England charges nearly £100 an hour and at the current exchange rate thats more like $190 dollars an hour. and then we have to wait for a week or so for parts delivery.
i dont think it costs that much to service a Boeing 747 does it?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM
diablo666
Road Master

I'm willing to bet most people on here have never attempted to correct any electrical failure of any kind.I'm not talking about a broken wire you can see with your eyes.I mean an electronic component that only breaks down at 75 mph when the air temperature is 80 degrees.If it doesn't test bad when you are checking it the best alternative is to use experience.That doesn't mean it will always be correct because the same symptom may have multiple causes.A bike tech can't drive your bike at 70 mph with his dvom in hand or the scan tool in hand.I'm sure there asre quite a few hacks out there but I have seen people that can't pump their own gas either.I don't mean this to demean other occupations but there are quite a few out there that get to see with there eyes what they need to fix.Electronics is not that way and the computers don't always set codes like everyone thinks they do when a circuit fails.A quick blip that causes stalling is almost never caught by a computer system on a bike or car.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 PM
XL1200N
Road Master

Not sure where you guy's go, but at the HD dealership I go to the sign says $55.00 an hour.

Any of your dealers get a new machine that looks like a dyno but is for simulating riding at different speeds to find the problems?

I like my dealership but I do allot of my own work and buy grips and pegs and other stuff off the Internet, I see no need to throw money away when I can wait a few days to get it.

Brian

Quick Reply: And what if something else goes wrong