The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: PV2-B with Target Tune...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 06:50 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts
Default PV2-B with Target Tune...

I just installed the Target Tune on my bike and see that my AFR's at Idle are a little off on the rear cylinder, it bounces a lot from 13.0-15.0. The front stay's pretty steady 13.6- 14.1.. I'm wondering at this point now that I can monitor my AFR's in real time, should I set the target AFR's in the tune and then Auto Tune from there? And will it adjust the VE's to satisfy the target AFR's?? Thanks..

Old 11-29-2023, 12:50 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I just installed the Target Tune on my bike and see that my AFR's at Idle are a little off on the rear cylinder, it bounces a lot from 13.0-15.0. The front stay's pretty steady 13.6- 14.1.. I'm wondering at this point now that I can monitor my AFR's in real time, should I set the target AFR's in the tune and then Auto Tune from there? And will it adjust the VE's to satisfy the target AFR's?? Thanks..
How well is the sensor installed into the exhaust stream? Just because you screw it into a hole on the pipe does NOT mean it's reading correctly. Look at the front location and compare it to the rear as your front sounds like it's working better. If your running a D&D 2:1 pipe the rear location is terrible.

The following users liked this post:
Rusty Springs (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 03:32 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I purchased used hooker header with the tunable baffle and in the picture you can see where I located the O2 sensors and they're definitely in the stream.. they're approximately 3.5" from the exhaust ports.. I got to play with it.. This is the first time that I have the O2 sensors reporting back so I can see where I'm at.. That was the first cold start..

The motor never really got up to temp.. I ran it for about a minute in the garage so it could be just that it wasn't responding quick enough to the heat yet. But I do have the proper AFR table loaded in and soon as the weather gets a little warmer I'll do some autotune sessions on it see what happens...

Don't mind the vise grips, I was setting it up for my welder so all he had to do is weld... There were no issues with placement...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-29-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Rusty Springs (11-29-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 12:06 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Check the depth of the sensor. If it doesn’t stick out into the exhaust stream it can give false reading. Some years ago Steve brought that info out about aftermarket exhaust's.

Old 12-01-2023, 02:29 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wmitz
Check the depth of the sensor. If it doesn’t stick out into the exhaust stream it can give false reading. Some years ago Steve brought that info out about aftermarket exhaust's.
Yeah I checked that thanks.. it's in there 5/8".. It's possible it's reversion...
I have a tunable baffle and will shut it down a little too see what happens.. I'm also going to do some auto tune sessions and see what happens but I carry find a decent video on it.. The only one on the DynoJet website is set to private..I even signed in and it still wouldn't let me watch it..

I've heard that when auto tuning with Target Tune I don't have to save the auto tune sessions, that is Dave's then automatically.. Is there any truth to this..?

If anyone has any links to view the process I would really appreciate it.. The DynoJet website is useless.. I even called them to tell them the issue with the only video they have of "Auto Tune and Target Tune"....

Old 12-02-2023, 06:14 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I did about as much digging as I could and came to a couple of conclusions.. One is that the new pipe is allowing the motor to breathe so much better that it's running extremely lean.. Two, I don't trust DynoJet.. I did call DynaJet and they don't have any videos showing the process of how to tune and told me that their new software will automatically change the VEs to what's necessary according to the target AFRs. I did see in my data logs that the target VEs were consistently being recalculated based on actual O2 readings and raised by as much as 15% but yet I didn't see it actually changed the O2 readings so I'm not sure it ever even actually worked..

So based on my data logs, I picked up my VE tables on the front 10% and on the rear cylinder 15%. It was running so lean that it was actually knocking the timing back 6° at times but was always detecting spark knock..

So I upped my VE tables on the front and rear and am going to take it for a ride the next day we get any decent weather supposed to rain next couple days.. What gets me though is that I was told that the target AFR values are what are supposed to drive the change to the VEs based on the O2 sampling but it never happened..

I was also told that I didn't have to do any auto tuning with this setup and that it would take care of itself and you don't even have to save anything.. Well that's proven to be wrong too.. So just for ***** and giggles I will attempt an auto-tune session with the target tune on there and see what happens.. I have nothing to lose because nothing is close to where it needs to be with my current setup..

I did put on about 40 mi and did six data logs with two different tunes and although the VEs were being changed it didn't make any difference in my AFR values as seen by my O2 sensors.. At some points it was running up to 16.0-17.0 .. It's hard to believe that just a pipe would change all that, that much..
Work in progress..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-02-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:06 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Another thing I noticed was that my MAP readings at idle vary from 46-50 kpa.. not good..
I'm wondering if, when I upgraded my PV-2B to accept Target Tune the software upgrade is causing a communication error with my ECM.
I say that because in conjunction with the rear cylinder AFR going up to 17.0 there's a miss in the engine like it not getting any fuel..
My biggest concern is if I chose the right firmware on the Dynojet site to flash/upgrade the PV-2B . My 2013 FXDBP does have Can Bus with throttle by cable and a BCM. The tech at Dynojet instructed me to use the link for the old style 6 pin connector. Not sure if it's correct.. I don't believe the exhaust pipe is my issue. here's a pic of the one I selected.. The one on the left. Any help would be appreciated.. thanks..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-03-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:06 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Found part of my problem and no idea how it happened.. Waiting for a tune from Fuel Moto..
Rear cylinder.. Surprised it even ran..

Rusty Springs (12-03-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Never used Target Tune but I have the Auto Tune Pro for my PV, First thing I do when I'm getting readings I think are wrong is switch sensors from front to back, and see if I get same results, this tells me if it's the sensor or not

Another thing to remember you have to disregard any information your getting on decell, when you see reading that are of concern, check TPS, MAP and RPM where you are getting these readings (before and after too) and determine if it's under a decell condition, if it is disregard that data. I really struggled with this when I started using mine, you have to figure out what is good data and what isn't. Widebands work over a broader range but take longer to react to changes, You need a steady state to get the wide band to give you the information you're looking for, if you only get a brief period of an AFR you don't like chances are it's not relevant

Old 12-04-2023, 11:28 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

@Fat11Lo Thanks, that's exactly what I was doing, filtering out the decell.
I did hook up my Daytona Sensor Wego III and got the same readings on the rear cylinder.. Now that I found the spark plug gap issue I can get steady readings above 1500 rpm of 13.4-13.8.. So I am making ground.. I did send in a request to fuel Moto for a new map and a detailed write up of my problems with the tune in using and a data log session.. So we should be able to figure it out.. I'm curious to see if I might need to go to 5.3 injectors from the 4.9's. It might make a difference at idle as well as other areas where the injector pulse width was 17 and above but still reading lean on the 3500 rpm range both front and rear cylinders..I need to do a fuel pressure test as well ..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-04-2023 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: PV2-B with Target Tune...